WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sleeping Bag Liner Worth It?

I'm a Florida boy about to venture on the AT outside Bryson city the beginning of October. Temps can be 40-70. I have a Kelty 30/50 sleeping bag.

I'm afraid that I'll be cold at night. I will be including some long johns and a balaclava (ski mask).

I was wondering if anyone had opinions on whether a sleeping bag liner would be a good idea here. Or should I just buy a cheap down / fleece jacket and sleep in it?

Journal Entries

I have a liner. If I'm cold I use my down jacket and sometimes my fleece vest as an extra blanket inside the sleeping bag. Works pretty well.

I used the liner once, maybe twice. It doesn't have a zipper, so I have to wiggle like a worm to get in or out of it. Not really, it's not that bad, but it does require some maneuvers. And then if you turn over, it can get twisted up. And if you get hot and want to vent by sticking a leg out, forget it. Or if you need to get up to pee, you lay there wondering if you can just hold it till morning.

We're backpacking this weekend, leaving in about two hours! We're headed to the Smokies, where forecast lows are around 60°. Instead of our sleeping bags, we're experimenting. I'm carrying a small fleece blanket like we wrap up in while watching TV. My husband is bravely taking my liner. I predict he'll be cold.

Should add, I have long johns and long sleeves to sleep in with my blankie. Husband usually sleeps in underwear and sometimes a t-shirt. I think he'll be putting on some pants.
    Last edited by illabelle; 08-05-2016 at 15:53.

I personally can't stand liners...get too twisted up in them because I move a lot at night. I'm good in my fleece long-johns and add my puffy if I need to which I only had to do when my bag got damp.

Thanks to both of you for your answers! Have a great time in your trip! I think you're right, he's probably gonna be cold

Take the 30* bag with good thermals and a puffy good to go...liners are a pita!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Take the 30* bag with good thermals and a puffy good to go...liners are a pita!

Will do! Thanks for the input!

On the other hand, liners can add warmth to a big without having the need to buy 2 sleeping bags.
    I sleep cold.
    I have an old 20 deg bag (Feathered Friends Hummingbird) which I like because it fits me well.
    But sometimes, it is not enough warmth.
    So, I have my 1 lb microfleece sleeping bag liner sent to me.
    Adds about 10 degrees of warmth IMO.
    Also, helps keep the bag clean.

I will admit that it makes for a tight fit, but I like that.
    Extra space in a sleeping bag means that you have to heat up that extra space: Means less efficient.

I did go out and buy a 0 deg bag, but I don't really like it.
    Takes up too much room in my pack (i have to pack differently, and I've got my system down to where I can pack it in my sleep with the smaller bag)
    And doesn't fit my body as well as the 20 deg bag.
    So, I prefer the Hummingbird with the liner.

Up to you and your preference for how you like a big to fit you. IMO.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I like liners and have no trouble using them. They help a lot with reducing drafts. As you can see from the responses so far, you have to try one yourself to see if it works for you.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I like liners and have no trouble using them. They help a lot with reducing drafts. As you can see from the responses so far, you have to try one yourself to see if it works for you.
    Sounds like that would be the best option but I don't really have an opportunity to try one. My funds are limited right now. So I think i'll just go with a fleece blanket if I feel the need for more warmth. I think the Jacket is the best idea.

Thanks

I've used a silk liner for many years, in order to keep the bag inside clean.
    Skipped using the liner recently, as it gave me more troubles than benefit, and the most dirt-sensitive area of the bag, around shoulders/neck/head, it failed to keep clean anyway.
    I guess the silk liner didn't add anything to the insulation of the bag.
    Sometimes I've used a nylon liner (especially in very warm countries, to help keeping stinging insects off), that actually helped with insulation by adding some 2-3 degrees mybe, but this one is old and broken now and can't find a replacement.
    Now I sleep in a special set of "camp&night"-clothes that also work as additional emergency layer in case of an unexpected temperature drop.
    This works best for me so far.

If you want to use a (down?) jacket to help in cold nights, I found it to work best if I spread it over me on the outside of the bag, covering from shoulder to hip, and to tuck the sleeves under the mat, to prevent the jacket from slipping off when tossing around in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    I've used a silk liner for many years, in order to keep the bag inside clean.
    Skipped using the liner recently, as it gave me more troubles than benefit, and the most dirt-sensitive area of the bag, around shoulders/neck/head, it failed to keep clean anyway.
    I guess the silk liner didn't add anything to the insulation of the bag.
    Sometimes I've used a nylon liner (especially in very warm countries, to help keeping stinging insects off), that actually helped with insulation by adding some 2-3 degrees mybe, but this one is old and broken now and can't find a replacement.
    Now I sleep in a special set of "camp&night"-clothes that also work as additional emergency layer in case of an unexpected temperature drop.
    This works best for me so far.

If you want to use a (down?) jacket to help in cold nights, I found it to work best if I spread it over me on the outside of the bag, covering from shoulder to hip, and to tuck the sleeves under the mat, to prevent the jacket from slipping off when tossing around in the bag.
    Thanks for the info! I'm going with the down jacket idea.

I never felt the liner I used added any warmth to speak of(thermolite reactor).....way more benefit from the UL down jacket....and doesn't get wrapped up like the liner did...

Carrying items to keep your head, core, and feet warm is far more effective from a comfort, cost and weight perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I never felt the liner I used added any warmth to speak of(thermolite reactor).....way more benefit from the UL down jacket....and doesn't get wrapped up like the liner did...

+1. The liner I used many years ago got me tangled up like a straight jacket due to my tossing and turning. Have I mentioned that I am a very restless sleeper? Use a jacket and warm hat to supplement the sleeping bag rating. Double-duty.

I have used my puffy on top of my bag and just taken a toboggan and some base layer long john type pants. Liners are definately a pain in the rear unless you just like being in tight places.

I like liners because keeps my gear clean, not because is warmer. in my experience they don't add any warm to my gear, they are so tin.

Sent from mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze12 View Post
    I like liners because keeps my gear clean, not because is warmer. in my experience they don't add any warm to my gear, they are so tin.

Sent from mobile
    Take dedicated sleep/camp clothes. Something warm and dry to change into at days end plus these items will keep your sleeping bag clean. Liners are single-use items.

I'd be prepared for near freezing temps in Oct...I froze my arse off in October in Ga...

Default Sea to Summit cotton/silk liner

I really like my liner. Sea to Summit cotton/silk blend. Pretty light and less expensive than pure silk. I use the rectangular shape. With that I can put a fold of the cloth between my legs so the they don't stick together with sweat (TMI?) Much more comfortable for me. Easy to hand wash and dries fast. Saves my 40 degree Golite down bag from ever needing to be cleaned. Over 100 nights on the trail and just a couple tiny holes near the top. Neither my sleeping bag nor the liner have a zipper so I'm used to pulling them on like a sock. On warm evenings I start with just the liner and when I wake up cold pull the rest of the bag on. If it is no colder than 60 degrees overnight I use the liner with a SOL breathable bivy bag and leave the down back at home. About 14 oz for both and less than $100.

C2summit and maybe Cocoon makes a liner with stretchy side panels that is less prone getting hung up for those who toss and turn. As a toss and turner 100% rip stop silk liners have less tendency to bind me up compared to cotton or fleece liners.

Lots of threads here on WB and on line info how to sleep warmer. Bring along some chemical warming heat packs placed inside clean dry sleeping socks, hand pockets of sleeping torso ware and take along some gloves even if only stretchy nylon gloves to sleep in. If the need arises sleep in a dry rain jacket with your hands in the jacket's hand pockets. Put the jacket's hood up too. Personally I like beanie or BUFF option better for early Oct on southern AT. Don't sleep where cold settles like in depressions(usually along water) or in areas with great exposure. Possibly look for a grove of broad(mature Rhodies for example) or needled evergreens to sleep or next to a heat sink like a rock crevice or large boulder. Consider a CS facing east to get the first warming rays. Sleep inside a AT lean to in the corner or in your own enclosed tent shelter to add warmth. Early Oct can be warmer than ya think. AN accurately rated 30* bag inside a enclosed tent wearing dry sleeping wear and doing what I said can get ya down we'll into the teens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++