WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping around Davidson River for Art Loeb

Hi, all,

A couple of buddies and I plan to do the Art Loeb over Labor Day weekend. We'll be coming into the area late Friday night, and need a place to car camp. Looks like all the campsites at Davidson River Campground are all reserved for that Friday night (9/2). Any recommendations for campsites/campgrounds close by (within a couple of miles or so) where we can car camp (or at least a campsite no more than two miles from a parking lot)? Thanks!

Images

There are some roadside (along the forest roads...475B is one)) car-campsites that may do the trick. 475 is the road that takes you to the fish hatchery. it is on the left heading North on 276. You should see a sign for the fish hatchery.

Those FS road campsites are likely to be filled up too. They are popular and over the past few years it seems like there are more restrictions along those roads. I would consider parking at the fish hatchery and hiking the mile or so to the Picklesheimer Fields area and camp.
    In fact, unless you have a great urge to be able to say you hiked the entire Art Loeb I recommend to go (or finish) from the Fish Hatchery. The Art Loeb section from John Rock to Davidson River is rather unspectacular.

++ New Posts ++