WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I just recently picked up some of the ultralight version of the Vargo nail pegs (8 grams each) at an outfitter recently, and I'm actually pretty impressed with them. Make no mistake - they are not the beefy awesome bigger version that I love best (14 grams each), but they are almost as light as a shepherd hook stake, and work much better, since the guyline is held down against the ground rather than up on the hook. The diameter is a little thicker on these than the shepherd hook pegs too - 4mm versus 3.2mm, which is a small difference but makes them significantly stronger and helps them hold the ground better. Different brands/products of titanium shepherd hook pegs have various diameters generally between 3.0mm and 3.5mm - the Toaks ones I have are 3.2mm. For comparison, the heavier 14g nail pegs have a 5mm diameter. The eyelet on these seems to be the weak point, so I use more caution with hammering/pressing them into the ground than the bigger/heavier ones, and don't don't hammer them in too far to the stress from the tent/guyline is on a point below the eyelet, but so far so good. I also found that when the ground is really hard, using a single heavier nail peg and hammering it in maybe 2/3 of the way, then pulling it out and using that as a starter hole for a lighter weight nail peg, works great and does not subject the lighter weight peg to as much stress. I only bought a 6-pack but am pleased enough with them that I plan to purchase more of them, and then switch to them as my primary peg to reduce my weight, carrying only a couple of the heavier nail pegs along for starting holes in hard ground and for the two most essential pegs on my tent. For winter use, I'll still fall back on using all heavier nail pegs.

The shepherd hook pegs will be sold soon, along with most of the V-pegs I have.

Don't know if it's still going but Lawson is selling ti stakes for $1.50 each with free shipping. They are a new design and I am very impressed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Don't know if it's still going but Lawson is selling ti stakes for $1.50 each with free shipping. They are a new design and I am very impressed.

Thx...do these hold good? Good price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    There are some poorly designed ones that spin.( I have some gossamer gear that are worthless) And there are better that don't. The convenience of getting them into rocky ground out weighs everything else to me. Logs and rocks added when necessary. Lawson's are good

Bad:
    Attachment 35796

Good:
    Attachment 35797
    Lawson is sold out but he said trail designs sells his....which ones do you have best luck with....6.5" or 8"...I'm mainly in south eastern trails with a trip or two years out west....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Thx...do these hold good? Good price

Here is the Lawson design. Kind of a hybrid. I've used on two trips and have had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Here is the Lawson design. Kind of a hybrid. I've used on two trips and have had no issues.

Thx...he's out of material for another month....trail designs sells his stakes but freight costs as much as stakes...those the 6.5" or 8.5"?

Give Dutch a shout, he might have some left. Bought mine from him.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Give Dutch a shout, he might have some left. Bought mine from him.
    Thx will do

Journal Entries

Thx will do

Dutchware had them but is out. Funny, lawson sent out email just a few weeks back that was carrying again, but first round went fast.

Ruta locuras are good . maybe bend easier if press in with foot into rocks, etc, but good stakes. I dont pay much attention to which I have, I just add rocks if doesnt seem reliable enough.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-28-2016 at 21:45.

I like the Dutchware mentioned here.

Next time I purchase, it will be Dutchware.

I just purchaded Lawson Equipment, in both lengths: I like two long stakes and the rest shorter stakes.

I made this list awhile ago, so it is not a comprehensive list.
    https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=22878

I like the Dutchware v-stakes in titanium, so next time I get a chance I will purchase.

I have Facebook. I saw Lawson Equipment, availability, announced there.

I think it was Andrew Skurka on my news-feed.

I ordered immediately.

I like two long stakes and the rest short stakes, that is what I ordered.

I have both v-stakes and the Lawson's because I may hike where the ground is just right or somewhat rocky.

Having extra 1.5 cord helps. I use 1.5 cord.

If I have to go around a big rock, using the rock instead of a stake, I can.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Dutchware had them but is out. Funny, lawson sent out email just a few weeks back that was carrying again, but first round went fast.

Ruta locuras are good . maybe bend easier if press in with foot into rocks, etc, but good stakes. I dont pay much attention to which I have, I just add rocks if doesnt seem reliable enough.
    Trail design has Lawson's in stock but must buy 6 pack either 6.5 or 8.5"...shipping as much as staked

Thx...he's out of material for another month....trail designs sells his stakes but freight costs as much as stakes...those the 6.5" or 8.5"?

6.5 inch. Anything longer is useless due to the rocky soil.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Not hating on the Ti Sheperd hook stakes. Ti Sheperd hook stakes are another option that I will leave open to possible use. I have 5 or 6 different type stakes including another three variations of Ti Sheperd hook stakes(bend, thickness of wire, and length) depending on what I expect to be staking into, staking down, how much wind, my shelter choice, etc. The bend(I like Lawsons Outdoor Equipment Ti 6.5" stake for the tight bend which helps not to have the stake twist when staking to a tarp in appropriate for their use ground, http://lawsonequipment.com/titanium-...-6-5-p883.html), length, and diameter wire definitely play a role in holdability!

MSR Groundhogs are the closest to the best all around stake under anything but winter snow or soft deep beach sand conditions but again they come in at least two different lengths(reg and Mini) and two different versions that I know of. One version being a three sided high grade 7000 Al stake and another, I think, in the same grade Al but a corkscrew version.

Ordered 6 @ 6.25" of the new style ti stakes from Dutch...I assume they will be a vast improvement from the other crappy ones with the orange head. Thx all

Images

After several years using the 6" ti shepherd hook stakes thinking of trying something else....I often have to get out of the tent as the hooks spin around and guy line comes off. Using with a lightheart gear solong 6. Thinking the ground hogs or similar might hold better as will be using in Co late September where snow is possible....need a tight pitch....any recommendations?

Salty, I often use 2 separate stakes on the SoLong 6 (ti shepherd hooks) the bottom loop stakes can go straight down into the ground, and the one on the line lock the stake goes in at an angle. Never had a problem this way.
    Judy - LightHeart Gear

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I like the Easton "nail" stakes. I use 6-inch stakes on the corners and a 9-inch stake on the main guy lines. They are strong and can hold up to pounding in with a rock. The only serious downside is that sometimes the head separates from the stake when pulling them out.
    I agree. My go-to four season stake is the Easton nail stake. It used to be standard issue with every Hilleberg tent and then they went with the Y or V stakes which suck in my opinion as such stakes are hell on the hands both pushing in and pulling out. And they snap just as easily as shepherd crook stakes in frozen ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    That last line is in fact why I am replacing mine with different stakes. The easton stakes worked great for me during three season use, but I lost a few to frozen ground in the winter, the heads of stakes broke off when removing them and there was noting I could do to get the rest of the stake out. I am a bit confused as to why they didn't simply drill the rope hole through the body instead just through the glued on head. If they had done that then I could put a piece of string through to get some leverage when removing them.
    Last winter I lost a total of 2 tent pegs on one trip due to all the deep snow I encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Tap them IN first- helps break the bit of frost/ice that is pinning them in.
    I learned this technique about 3 years ago and it's one good way to unseat frozen-in pegs.

On one trip several years ago I found all this trash in a campsite in the mountains of NC. I took the spoon and a couple stakes and cached them under a rock for future trips when and if I lose a spoon or pegs.

I don't take alot of pics of my tent pegs but here's my standard set on a recent trip. Shepherd crooks do not work in high windstorms as they spin and release, as mentioned. The nail pegs are all from old Hilleberg tents. They work great but will bend on occasion and snap in half rarely.

Several years ago I took a trip to Mt Rogers and camped on Wilburn Ridge in a crazy windstorm and had an MSR Fury tent with me which had spots for 21 pegs and I only brought about 15 so I had to whittle these to keep the tent on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Salty, I often use 2 separate stakes on the SoLong 6 (ti shepherd hooks) the bottom loop stakes can go straight down into the ground, and the one on the line lock the stake goes in at an angle. Never had a problem this way.
    Judy - LightHeart Gear
    Ahhhh....so 10 stakes...interesting....I can see where that would hold better

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++