Default Smokies From Clingmans to Fontana

Hey everyone,
    I'm planning a section hike from Clingmans Dome SoBo on the AT back to Fontana Dam. I've set up an over night stay at Hike Inn at Fontana and they are shuttling me Oct.5th up to Clingmans. I'm by no means a seasoned hiker and looking at taking 3 nights to do this section. This will be my longest trip yet, with hopes to head to Springer and do a solid week in the spring. I know in the Smokies you have to reserve early, and I have been told this time of year I need to be on reserving shelter space at midnight on the 30 day out mark. Any other advice or pointers for this time of year along the AT in the Smokies. Also, if anyone would like to join I'd love the company..

Journal Entries

There are quite a few fairly close shelters along this route, so more options if one gets filled (unlike the northern part of the park), but for a slower pace (3 night), one may be mission critical (Derricks) more so if Spence Field is closed due to bear activity (common). So try to get that critical one, and not Spence as closures seem to be more common here (causing a last minute change of plan).

Images

Keep in mind there is a campsite (113 Birch Spring Gap) about 6 miles from Fontana on the AT. That location may come in handy in planning your trip.

If you have a small group (1-3 people) it becomes much easier to book space compared to a group of 6-8. I doubt you'll have to stay up to book at "midnight" for a small group. But in case you do, keep in mind that "midnight" is defined by what time it is on the web server, which I think may actually be 2:00am or 3:00am ET.

I'm not a girl, so I hope I don't get in trouble posting here...

Don't underestimate this section. When I hiked it in early Sept a few years ago, I figured going south (downhill) from Clingman's to the Dam wouldn't be that tough. I'm in average shape for my age by the way. It kicked my butt. The second day was very difficult with many ups and downs. The third day was almost all down hill and tough on the knees. Just keep this in mind when planning your shelter stops. Have a great hike.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

To follow up on daddytwosticks comments...
    Back before I was regularly hiking 10+ mile days...

I did a loop that including hiking from Silers Bald to Spence Field. While the elevation profile for that section doesn't look too bad a first, a close inspection shows lots of up-hills that kicked my rear as well.

Another time, I did a loop that included Mollies Ridge to Fontana (the day after climbing up Eagle Creek). The combination of the climb to Doe Knob and the descent after Shuckstack kicked my tail again (and that was just going to the intersection with Lakeshore... you might be going that far or farther is you actually walk to the dam or the "Fontana Hilton" shelter on the other side of the dam).

I agree, if not mistaken Spence is currently closed... It is a slower pace, but working on improving the pace too... Thanks..

Thank you all so very much.. Lots to think about..

I did this exact section in June, over 3 days / 2 nights. My main advice would be to call the backcountry office a few days before you leave and ask what they've heard about water. I know at least at Double Spring Gap, the water was just a dribble. So you may just need to carry a little extra over a couple sections. It hasn't been a very dry summer though so you should be okay.

I also don't think you need to make to stay up late to make reservations. 29 days ahead, for a small group should be plenty of time.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you haven't see it yet, check out the elevation profile over at TNLandForms. That should help you figure out how to breakup the hike.
    (Don't forget to add the initial 1/2 mile climb to Clingman's Dome).

++ New Posts ++