WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Smile Newbie Needs Some Info:

I am wanting to do a day hike this Saturday from Pearisburg VA south toward Dismal Falls VA. I am new and this would be my first hike on the AT. I need info as to trail head points along the way so I can arrange for pickup as I am not camoing overnight on my first trip out. I know I can order maps from ATC but are there any other resources which to obtain maps? Thank you for the info.

Journal Entries

Given your plans, it doesn't look like there's much time to order maps. Here's a couple of online resources that might be helpful to you.
    Welcome to Whiteblaze, and enjoy your hike!

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gwj/n...79951&actid=50
    http://www.virginiasmtnplayground.com/dismal-falls/

Guthook's AT Guide for your phone.
    I do hope that you allow a wee bit more time for planning your first AT section hike. But not multiple months or years like some claim to do.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thank you for your input. I have to get my feet wet, as they say, before I really start this venture. LOL I am basically test driving the hiking world to see if it is really something I want to do. I think I do. I hope I can. So, we shall see. If things go like I want them to in my mind....I plan on doing a thru hike when I retire. I will retire in June of 2022 but that will be too late to start a thru hike at that time so I will wait until March or April of 2023 to begin. Until that time----I hope to get my feet really wet and crave the serenity of the trail. Again, thank you for your input.

Thank you for the resources which you shared. I will definitely check them out. Again, thank you.

Journal Entries

Hang out on WhiteBlaze and you'll learn a lot!

Images

The ATC has a handy interactive map that shows (among other things) places to park along the entire AT.
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail

There are some other websites out there with similar info.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Another good URL for parking spots

Quote Originally Posted by WV Gannie View Post
    Thank you for your input. I have to get my feet wet, as they say, before I really start this venture. LOL I am basically test driving the hiking world to see if it is really something I want to do. I think I do. I hope I can. So, we shall see. If things go like I want them to in my mind....I plan on doing a thru hike when I retire. I will retire in June of 2022 but that will be too late to start a thru hike at that time so I will wait until March or April of 2023 to begin. Until that time----I hope to get my feet really wet and crave the serenity of the trail. Again, thank you for your input.
    Gannie, I'm following the same plan only I'm thinking 8 years out. I'm starting with day hikes and and overnights in PA where I live. Best of Luck to you

My advice is the opposite of some of these; forget the web and gadgets, get out there and get some real experience. The trail is a harsh master, but it is absolute reality. Learn to deal with it yourself, not filtered through others or digital interfaces.

The web is full of truth, falsehood, and opinion and you cannot easily tell the difference between them.

Journal Entries
    Images

hello best thing is to get a thru hikers guide it has all the info water maps side trails distance to sheltersd worth every penny https://www.amazon.com/dp/0982980892...f_rd_i=1889386

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WV Gannie View Post
    I am wanting to do a day hike this Saturday from Pearisburg VA south toward Dismal Falls VA. I am new and this would be my first hike on the AT. I need info as to trail head points along the way so I can arrange for pickup as I am not camoing overnight on my first trip out. I know I can order maps from ATC but are there any other resources which to obtain maps? Thank you for the info.
    You can buy a PDF download of "The AT Guide" http://www.shop.theatguide.com/The-AT-Guide-2016-Southbound-PDF-Download-SPDF16.htm This is a very popular guide book.

One word of caution, the walk south bound up to Angels Rest is one of the longest steepest climes around here. If it were me I might shoot for something a little easier my first time out.
    You do what ever works for you and remember to bring plenty of water with you. That area does not have a lot of opportunity to get water and even some of those streams may be dry this time of year.
    Have fun on your walk.

V8

++ New Posts ++