WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default P'unk Ave wants to put the 'app' in Appalachian Trail - Technical.ly

P'unk Ave wants to put the 'app' in Appalachian Trail
    Technical.ly
    In partnership with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, P'unk Ave is working on Latch, an application geared at capturing the trail through a multimedia experience. The app features a simple interface that allows hikers to share these moments but still ...

More...

Journal Entries
    Images

"The app features a simple interface that allows hikers to share these moments but still stay connected to the experience itself."

Sure.. it's no different than any other app! It's an app.. on your phone.. all you really need is Google Maps and GPS enabled on your photos. DONE.

My question is.. what does this app have to do with CONSERVANCY? Why is the ATC involved here?
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Images

I would have thought it was obvious. For the developer the ATC involvement provides access to the trail and hikers -- it gives legitimacy.

For the ATC to be involved it means they develop a good relationship with app developers and allows the ATC to have an influence that may mean the app's development and use promotes good stewardship of the trail and principles such as LNT. Much better to be involved rather than indifferent or even hostile.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post

For the ATC to be involved it means they develop a good relationship with app developers and allows the ATC to have an influence that may mean the app's development and use promotes good stewardship of the trail and principles such as LNT. Much better to be involved rather than indifferent or even hostile.
    Also, if you read the entire article provided and the information on the Kickstarter page, you will understand how this interactive app can be beneficial to all hikers in the AT in real time.

I really like this idea. I’m a little more than quarter way through section hiking (class of 2024) the trail with my wife and two sons, and it seems like having a way to record memorable events and connect with the AT community in new ways can only be a good thing. My two adolescent boys who have been hiking for 4 years and recording thoughts in a journal, love to go back and read about their experiences now that they are a bit older. An app would also give them (and me) a way to remember and share those experiences with others without being too obtrusive.

They are looking for backers and involvement from the AT community:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...alachian-trail

(Note: I am backing the app on Kickstarter but I am not affiliated with it in any way beyond that).

I'm backing this app as well. I like everything about it, especially that it is connected through ATC and you can post real time video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++