WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    And yet during my construction days I use to take a turkey sandwitch with MAYO for lunch, left it in my car for hours in blazing hot summer Alabama days and never got sick.
    Also took meat sandwiches or EGG salad sandwiches for lunch in middle and high school, left in locker with no ill effects.
    One can be a slave to goverment over reach or die.
    Don't disagree, as I said I don't believe all they tell me and I've been known to grab a cold chicken leg off the counter even now when I go home to visit mom (Room Temp real fried chicken is just sooo good) but I've also fought the distress (which I think were due to deviled eggs in a picnic basket by Marsh Creek Lake) of rolling snake-eyes. Just sayin if I was trying to walk 2000+ miles that's not when I'd be rolling those dice

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I couldn't find instant breakfast individual serving packages. I bought the bulk package and measure out each serving in a snack bag.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    If you can't find the individual serving packets locally, Amazon has them, though you need to purchase three boxes of ten packets.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    If you can't find the individual serving packets locally, Amazon has them, though you need to purchase three boxes of ten packets.
    Thanks. I found them. Right where they always were. Next to the bulk box. Smacks his head hard! Duh!
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

"Just start with some kind of granola-type cereal that you like, add some nuts, add some dried fruit, and add powdered Nido whole milk to your breakfast baggie. Will make either a hot or cold cereal. With different fruits, nuts, and starting cereals you can get quite a few different flavors. Like almond cranberry; walnut blueberry, peanut banana, etc." QWhiz

This is what I usually do, but with one difference--I first re-hydrate the dried fruit overnight. My dried fruit for one breakfast typically consists of a fistful of dried prunes, cranberries, apricots, cherries, or grapes (aka raisins). I use one quart/liter sized Gatoraide bottles as my water bottles. So, while fixing supper I put the next morning's dried fruit into a Gatoraide bottle along with a little water. The next morning I drink the resulting "juice" and eat the re-hydrated fruit with my cereal. It's good, but perhaps is an acquired taste. While I was growing up my mother would occasionally re-hydrate dried fruit at home.

Images

oats are always easy... add a little salt, turmeric, and powered honey = delicious and super light weight

Default Breakfast ideas that only require boiling?

I dehydrate a lot of my own foods for the trail but I found this guy that freeze dries pretty much anything.
    I put together these freeze dried ingredients for a great breakfast that only needs boiled water,
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Ham
    Onions
    Celery
    Mixed peppers
    Mushrooms
    and Hash Browns
    Salt and pepper to taste.
    Play around with the amounts at home till you get what you like.

https://www.facebook.com/Redwicks/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eabyrd1506 View Post
    Not that I believe everything the Govt tells me but I've fought the Big S before and it ain't fun - According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you should discard any perishable foods, including hard-boiled eggs, that have been left at room temperature for longer than two hours. The two-hour guideline applies to eggs you have just cooked as well as chilled hard-boiled eggs taken out of your refrigerator. During the hot summer months, or any time the temperature exceeds 90 degrees Fahrenheit, throw out any perishable food left outside of refrigeration for more than one hour, FoodSafety.gov recommends.
    While I appreciate that we have to be cautious with foodborn illness, the foodsafety.gov guidelines reek of lawyers and large gov't bureaucracy.

Many people have problems with French recipes that use eggs. The problem is that in France, they don't refrigerate eggs at all. The temperature difference screws everything up. Calling an egg unsafe after being left out for two hours is ridiculous IMO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++