WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Breakfast ideas that only require boiling?

Anyone have some favorite breakfast recipes (or store bought packages) they like for breakfast that only require adding boiling water? I prefer ideas I can prep and dry at home, but if someone loves a particular item I can buy already made, I'd be interested in hearing about those, too.

I'm trying to expand my breakfast options for trips where I only boil water. My options typically include: oatmeal or polenta + nuts, PB, fruit. Or, I just have a cold breakfast and wash it down with hot coffee. So, I'm looking for a few more ideas to avoid burn out.

Michael

-Skurka's cheesy mashed potatoes is amazing. Sounds gross but it's not. I add peas to mine.

-Bobs Red Mill Muesli is easy and good cold.

-Here's another that's ok:

Almond Date Couscous Breakfast Porridge Recipe
    Ingredients:

1/2 cup plain instant couscous
    1/2 cup powdered milk
    1/4 cup finely slivered almonds
    1/4 cup dried date bits
    3 tablespoons light brown sugar or date sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 Cups of water

Another website to try:
    thrueat.com

The Thai coconut curry was incredible

No cook oatmeal is good. Quick oats, salt, brown sugar (or maple syrup), dried fruit, cinnamon can be pre mixed. Just add boiling water to whatever consistency you like. The texture is different than cooked oatmeal, but I like it. It doesn't set up like glue when it cools and is easy to clean up.

Precooked bacon and sausage.
    Breakfast is too easy to prepare with just boiling water. Or cold. Browse the hot cereal section of any supermarket. Or the bewildering array of breakfast bars and cookies.
    Here's something I concocted for an upcoming trip with help here at WhiteBlaze:
    1 serving portions of:
    Carnation Breakfast Essentials
    Nestle Whole milk NIDO
    1 scoop Natures Plus Pea Protein
    Instant coffee of choice
    8 oz. cold or hot water
    Dry weight per serving: 3 ounces
    Calories: 365 Protein: 27 grams
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My favorite is Sunrise potatoes or Sunrise Spuds
    Potato flakes, packaged crumbled bacon, instant whole milk powder, Cheese powder, butter buds and a few parsley flakes. Add hot water and you've got a hearty AM meal. Sorry I don't have proportions of ingredients readily available but, you can likely find a suitable formula with your Google-fu.

I used to cook oatmeal in the morning and have hot coffee...now days I just premix the 2-instant breakfast packets with nido and 2-Mt Hagen or bustello instant coffee packs in my Gatorade bottle. Tastes great cold and packs well over 300 calories. Easy to pack up drink as I walk then an hour or two later eat a couple pop tarts and I'll good till lunch...yea it's empty cals but keeps me going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I used to cook oatmeal in the morning and have hot coffee...now days I just premix the 2-instant breakfast packets with nido and 2-Mt Hagen or bustello instant coffee packs in my Gatorade bottle. Tastes great cold and packs well over 300 calories. Easy to pack up drink as I walk then an hour or two later eat a couple pop tarts and I'll good till lunch...yea it's empty cals but keeps me going.

I couldn't find instant breakfast individual serving packages. I bought the bulk package and measure out each serving in a snack bag.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Unless you just have to have a "hot" breakfast, you might also enjoy a breakfast drink. Check out PackitGourmet's website. They have a large breakfast assortment - drinks & hot meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Unless you just have to have a "hot" breakfast, you might also enjoy a breakfast drink. Check out PackitGourmet's website. They have a large breakfast assortment - drinks & hot meals.
    Love their Dinner Deluxe Scrambled eggs and Tex Mex taco filling. Both can be cooked in a bag or with a fry pan.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I couldn't find instant breakfast individual serving packages. I bought the bulk package and measure out each serving in a snack bag.
    Wayne

Wally World has them...

How about a no cook alternative? Don't even break out the stove in the morning. It makes for a quicker start. In my opinion, the early morning is the best time to be on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Wally World has them...

I looked there. In more than 1 location. I'll try again. Thanks.

Wayne

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

If I have a short-mileage day, so that I can take my time packing up while breakfast is cooking, I'll drop the simmer ring on my stove and make a few muffins. Use any just-add-water mix, and portion it out at home. Steam baking for 25 minutes is about right for most of the mixes. It doesn't take all that much fuel once the simmer ring is in place.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/...7644331682423/ shows how.

The last of the boiling water in the steamer can get dashed into freeze-dried berries and stirred up to make a fruit compote to spread on the muffins. As trail cooking goes, this is decadent. It certainly beats worshipping the patron saint of thru-hikers. (Little Debbie, of course.)

Otherwise, I do pretty much the same as everyone else - porridge, or muesli, or maybe a pastry bought in town the day before. I don't bring grits because I'm a damnYankee. Or maybe I'll go for "gross but effective" and have a peanut-butter-and-gorp burrito. (I better make a second cup of coffee with that one, or I'll feel gluey the rest of the day.)

I always at least boil water in the morning. If I can't have coffee, I'm not going.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by punchcard View Post
    -Skurka's cheesy mashed potatoes is amazing. Sounds gross but it's not. I add peas to mine.

-Bobs Red Mill Muesli is easy and good cold.

-Here's another that's ok:

Almond Date Couscous Breakfast Porridge Recipe
    Ingredients:

1/2 cup plain instant couscous
    1/2 cup powdered milk
    1/4 cup finely slivered almonds
    1/4 cup dried date bits
    3 tablespoons light brown sugar or date sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 Cups of water
    These both sound good. Thank you for the tips. When you say the Date Couscous Breakfast Porridge is "ok" do you mean you're not wild about it, that it's only ok? Or would you recommend this one?

Quote Originally Posted by punchcard View Post
    Another website to try:
    thrueat.com

The Thai coconut curry was incredible
    I hadn't thought of Thai food for first thing in the morning. I'll check this out.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Love their Dinner Deluxe Scrambled eggs and Tex Mex taco filling. Both can be cooked in a bag or with a fry pan.
    Thank you! I have heard a lot of good things about PackitGourmet. I might give them a try. I just usually make my own, but it would be nice to supplement some of my homemade stuff with some purchased items. Sometimes prepping takes too long and I just want to hit the trail without much thought into my meals.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    If I have a short-mileage day, so that I can take my time packing up while breakfast is cooking, I'll drop the simmer ring on my stove and make a few muffins. Use any just-add-water mix, and portion it out at home. Steam baking for 25 minutes is about right for most of the mixes. It doesn't take all that much fuel once the simmer ring is in place.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/...7644331682423/ shows how.

The last of the boiling water in the steamer can get dashed into freeze-dried berries and stirred up to make a fruit compote to spread on the muffins. As trail cooking goes, this is decadent. It certainly beats worshipping the patron saint of thru-hikers. (Little Debbie, of course.)

Otherwise, I do pretty much the same as everyone else - porridge, or muesli, or maybe a pastry bought in town the day before. I don't bring grits because I'm a damnYankee. Or maybe I'll go for "gross but effective" and have a peanut-butter-and-gorp burrito. (I better make a second cup of coffee with that one, or I'll feel gluey the rest of the day.)

I always at least boil water in the morning. If I can't have coffee, I'm not going.
    Ditto on the coffee and since I'm making coffee, I like having a hot breakfast instead of just an instant drink, but I wouldn't rule 'em out. I do enjoy steam and dry baking. When I go very light, though, I can't really bake items as my cooking pot is pretty small. I recently made a huge blueberry scone with my larger/heavier cook kit on my last trip and enjoyed that with peanut butter and honey. Now that was a good breakfast!

Michael

Thank you all for chiming in. If there are more ideas, please keep 'em coming!

Michael

Precooked bacon, hard boiled eggs, an avocado = real unprocessed food.

Save the boiling water for the coffee.

Generally we start hiking fasted and stop after a few hours to make coffee and eat a few things.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++