WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default why is the stuff in my pack wet?

I had it packed, testing out the weight, and sitting on the back porch for the last couple of days. There's a 2.5l Osprey bladder in there, and this is in sunny, hot, dry Sacramento.
    Well, not so hot right now; the mornings are cool
    But I opened it up this morning, and everything is a little damp. Not soaking wet, tho. And the bladder is still showing 2.5l, tho the outside of it is also slightly damp. And some of the stuff that's damp was above the bladder.

I'm hoping this has nothing to do with the bladder and is because of natural condensation....or something like that...

Were the damp items in a trash bag inside the pack? I assume this is your HMG pack? So much for waterproof backpacks.
    Have a great trip!
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

no...not in a trash bag. Do I need to put it in a trash bag for protection from , I guess, the morning dew?

Your brave to keep a bladder inside the pack without having your dry gear in something waterproof...another reason I don't use a bladder...my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    no...not in a trash bag. Do I need to put it in a trash bag for protection from , I guess, the morning dew?
    I always place all the items I want to avoid getting wet inside a trash compactor bag (a little stronger that a basic trash bag). That way, my important stuff should stay dry in the rain, if I fall in a creek, or anything leaks inside my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Your brave to keep a bladder inside the pack without having your dry gear in something waterproof...another reason I don't use a bladder...my $.02

Brave is probably the wrong word. It's probably the "nice" word, tho.☺
    Ok, I'm putting the stuff in garbage bags. But still - I'm hoping this issue is due to the dew, and not a leaking bladder. Thoughts?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

It doesn't take much water to make things "damp" or simply wet feeling. So you might want to test your bladder for leaks. Keep in mind that stuffing you bladder in with your gear means it might have been under compression from the gear, so simply hanging the bladder and watching for leaks might not be enough.

Perhaps place the bladder inside a trash bag, seal the bag, and place some weight on the badder. If the bladder doesn't leak, there shouldn't be any wetness inside the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Brave is probably the wrong word. It's probably the "nice" word, tho.☺
    Ok, I'm putting the stuff in garbage bags. But still - I'm hoping this issue is due to the dew, and not a leaking bladder. Thoughts?
    Wet is wet...wet is cold!!! I'd try a compactor bag.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    It doesn't take much water to make things "damp" or simply wet feeling. So you might want to test your bladder for leaks. Keep in mind that stuffing you bladder in with your gear means it might have been under compression from the gear, so simply hanging the bladder and watching for leaks might not be enough.

Perhaps place the bladder inside a trash bag, seal the bag, and place some weight on the badder. If the bladder doesn't leak, there shouldn't be any wetness inside the bag.
    Thanks for this. I was about to head out for a section or two on the TRT this morning, and now thinking about it. I have had,a problem with a 3l camelbak that I know does leak when it's under pressure inside this pack, tho that bladder is fine in my other, bigger pack. I've hiked with the 2.5l in this pack before with no problem. But so far, it seems there's only a noticeable problem if the pack has been loaded up for days at a time...

We put our packs in the trunk; drove to the trailhead, and found both packs were soaked. Turned out to be an issue with a bite valve that wasn't "turned off".

-FA

Consider an odor barrier bag for your "must be dry" stuff (sleeping bag and clothes). They are lighter than compacter bags, water proof, and have the added advantage of helping to keep food odors off of your sleeping bag and clothes. There have been a couple recent threads about them.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

sounds like condensation to me. you can start with the Wal-Mart dry sacs and upgrade as you see fit from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    We put our packs in the trunk; drove to the trailhead, and found both packs were soaked. Turned out to be an issue with a bite valve that wasn't "turned off".

-FA
    I know that's not it, in my case. Although I've been reading that people are reporting proble n s with leaky Osprey bite valves. But the bite valve was on the outside of the pack....and, it's not leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    sounds like condensation to me. you can start with the Wal-Mart dry sacs and upgrade as you see fit from there.
    That's what I'm hoping it is...Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Consider an odor barrier bag for your "must be dry" stuff (sleeping bag and clothes). They are lighter than compacter bags, water proof, and have the added advantage of helping to keep food odors off of your sleeping bag and clothes. There have been a couple recent threads about them.
    I bought some but the large isn't really a good fit...wider and shorter than compactor bag. I'm on the fence with them as pack liner.

how about the sleeping bag? with this backpack, the sleeping bag fits better if it's not in the compression sack. and I cram it in the bottom. I just tried putting it in a plastic garbage bag and shoving that in the backpack, but plastic bag easily split.
    Does walmart or REI have dry sacks that the sleeping bag would fit in?

but, if I do put the sleeping bag in a dry sack, I think I'll lose the advantage of cramming it in loose? when it's in the compression sack, it's kinda like trying to pack a volleyball. I'm guessing, in a dry sack, it might be better than a colleyvall, but not as good as packing it loose...?

Leonidas

You need a contractor grade bag or a trash compactor bag. I used the same one for 10 days on the AT last month and the wife did the same. Put your sleeping bag in it, sleeping clothes, etc and then what I did was compress the bag into a small ball and slowly worked the air out. Then you roll it up stuff it in the pack and then pack stuff around it if you have gaps.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    You need a contractor grade bag or a trash compactor bag. I used the same one for 10 days on the AT last month and the wife did the same. Put your sleeping bag in it, sleeping clothes, etc and then what I did was compress the bag into a small ball and slowly worked the air out. Then you roll it up stuff it in the pack and then pack stuff around it if you have gaps.
    Ok, thanks

I'm thinking now that maybe y'all use these plastic bags, mainly because you're hiking the AT where you have to be concerned with wet weather, right? You aren't using them because you expect your bladders to be causing moisture problems - or are you? I would LOVE to get some of your rain, but the weather is bone-dry out here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++