WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

:banana 2017 far as my feet will take me hike

so excited cant wait to get on that train at 51 i had already wanted the title of threw hiker but my sec hikes have been wonderful .so this hike will be a little different when i get to gainesville GA i want to find a new forever friend i will name him or her pound puppy we will wander on the trail from ga to Maine .any one with hiking info about hiking with dogs i would so appreciate it,. I know we will have to road hike past the smoky mnts he or she will be a shelter pup we will have manny miles to be the best of friends .2017 doodlebug and pound puppy to the top

First off, this has to be moved to the "dogs on the AT" forum or you'll get responses like the one I'm about to make.

I hope you don't mean "pound puppy" in the literal sense that you will be taking a puppy. The dog has to be at least a couple years old to be able to handle the trail. It also needs to be well trained and disciplined before you leave. If this is your first dog, getting one for a thru hike is a very, very bad idea.

Taking a dog along is a big responsibility and a significant added burden and expense. Which is why most "thru hikers" who start off with a dog don't make it very far and very, very few make it to Maine with a dog.

Forget about road walking around the Smokies, it's a long, long way to go around, something like 150 or more miles. That's as far as many with dogs get. It's easier to go home then go around.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I hike with my dogs all the time...it is hard work and mine are well-trained and well-behaved. I love them, but sometimes having them along can be an occasional hassle...they can't cross some of the bigger creeks, especially with their packs on at the beginning of the year. My dogs are built for endurance and long distance (both border collies), but even they get tired and sore sometimes. That said, I wouldn't go without one of them. I have had these working dogs for several years so know them inside and out; I wouldn't just get a dog and take it on the trail before having some time to bond and work with them (6 months is generally the accepted amount time that it takes for a dog and human to build that bond).

Spend time on here and read, read, read...especially the dog section. Be informed.

Journal Entries
    Images

i have exp hiking with my German Sheppard for manny years in the nh mnts and i miss that so getting a new forever friend and the name pound puppy is just to raise awareness of all these little guys in the pound.ive had dogs all my life and love and respect them.thank you happy trails

Sounds like you already know what you're in for. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
    i have exp hiking with my German Sheppard for manny years in the nh mnts and i miss that so getting a new forever friend and the name pound puppy is just to raise awareness of all these little guys in the pound.ive had dogs all my life and love and respect them.thank you happy trails
    Why didn't you say so to begin with? If you have a specific question, refer to the dogs on the AT forum.

But if you want to hike with a dog next spring, you'd best get one now and start training it to be a trail dog, like taking it out on the trail for overnight hikes. That way it won't freak out when you suddenly drag it into the woods.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++