WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Really nice read

Congratulations on the your hike. I really liked the article. Great photo of you and your friends!
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Great story. I expect that slackpacking for several days really helped getting you in good shape for the rest of the hike. I expect a lot of folks burn out in the first two or three days that wouldn't have it they had used your approach.

What a great story! Congratulations on all of your achievements. Now I want to go back and read your trail journal!

Thanks for sharing, great story!

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Great story. I expect that slackpacking for several days really helped getting you in good shape for the rest of the hike. I expect a lot of folks burn out in the first two or three days that wouldn't have it they had used your approach.
    Yes- that was the smartest decision I made-thanks to Katwalk. She had the idea and asked me if I wanted to join. Thats how we met. Katwalk and I carried about 20 pounds in our packs the first week- not quite slack packing but not a full pack either. We avoided over crowded campsites by staying at Blood Mountain Cabins. It was croweded at shelters and campsites, being the busiest start time of the season-and we really sort of eased into the hike. (Thinking marathon-not sprint) I really recommend this way of beginning, but you do have to save up for the shuttles. I blew 2 months budget in a week not realizing the cost of the shuttles.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    I saw lots of thin and fit people leave the trail miserable and in pain at or before Neel Gap. The challenge of the AT is much more than a physical challenge. I could not disagree with you more about losing weight first-THEN exercise. Exercise helps you lose weight and is healthy. Just dieting without exercise is not healthy. While being in terrific shape at the beginning is preferable, that is not the reality I witnessed along the trail. There were many people who could (and did) lose a few pounds hiking- as well as a woman hiking with only one leg, and people in their 70s and women alone etc. and lots of other folks who were probably strongly advised NOT to hike the trail. Barriers are broken and people find out what they can and can't do because they TRY. And if a fat person quits, they join the ranks of thousands of thin people who did also. You can disagree with what I did, but to say it is a disservice seems a little harsh. People can decide for themselves and try for themselves.

+

Plenty of time for moderately overweight persons to get in shape on 6 mo hike.

I seen so many "normal" people injured between Ga and Va, I wouldnt say overweight are any more succeptible to injury on avg. Slower pace may work in their favor. Tendons and joints already accustomed to heavy load. Etc.

One group prone to repetitive motion injuries...is fit people with light packs. Big miles before bones and tendons can handle it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-28-2016 at 10:06.

congrats on your big walk!

Enjoying your family afterwords had to be the icing on the cake.

Congrats BonBon! Great adventure. Very inspiring.
    Trillium

Attagirl! Way to go.
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Journal Entries

Great article and very inspiring. Especially for another woman who is grotesquely overweight in comparison to what you were and still ve3ry ambitious about hiking. I have only done small sections (not of the AT yet, but that's the dream) and I can only manage very small mileage days (think 7ish) with a very heavy pack (40lbs.) because I'm a mom that has to pack everything that could possibly be needed. A couple of past shakedowns have taught me where I can drop some pack weight and still feel "covered" so I'm hoping my next section will be in the 35lbs range or even lower if I'm lucky.

Anyway, this was very inspirational. I am envious of your opportunity to do it and your family that was supportive of it. Atta Girl!!!!!!
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Well written article and enjoyable read. Sounds like you had a great hike. Hopefully more to come.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++