WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'll say yes to the 38 fitting your gear. Depends on packing it efficiently and possibly carrying the shelter by the bottom straps, though. I've not long been a fan of stuffing vs. using multiple stuff sacks, but it really does make a noticeable difference when you want to minimize pack size.
    Friend of mine whose packing convinced me I could make more use of my Exos 38 is doing the Long Trail starting in a couple of weeks, and using the same pack with 5 days between resupplies.

I have both the Exos 38 and 58. Could have gone with just a 48, but wanted room for a week with a bear canister, which the 58 accomodates, and the most compact pack possible for short trips, which is where the 38 sans lid comes in.
    Pack fit is a personal thing-doesn't matter what works for someone else. I place a lot of value on the suspended mesh back panel of the Exos, and fortunately, it also happens to be a perfect fit for me, so that's what I use.

If I had to guess about some things the Osprey Exos 48L should be big enough. 38 L, meh maybe but obviously definitely more questionable especially downsizing from a 70 L. It's almost half the volume, a big jump in downsizing pack size.

Default time to drop some weight

I'll second what Cheyou said, swap that 2lb. bag for a down quilt and you'll be surprised out how much room you have in the pack. I can only recommend from experience, but the Enlightened Equipment Revelation is one heck of a product. They are so versatile, I can use their 20* option all year! Good luck with furthering your weight reduction!
    ~March 5th, 2017~

I was using an Osprey 36 for a few yours and decided to reduce weight.. I was at the limit of the packs capacity and was insanely frustrated by the unusable side and hip belt pockets. Switched to an Ohm this season and love it, on a three to five day'r I have quite a bit of room left empty. And oh! Those side and hip pockets are cavernous !

I was concerned I would miss the back mesh on the Osprey, but I don't. Also worried that the unstructured design of the UL pack would be uncomfortable but not only do I love it, I am now looking for a smaller UL day pack... A MLD Burn would be awesome.

Posted from somewhere east of Montauk

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Hiker View Post
    I have been carrying a 35lb, 70L pack for years and due to getting older (40) and aching shoulders I want to shed some weight. I am looking at the Osprey Exos 38 &48. I will be carrying a Sea to Summit small sleeping pad, a Tarptent Contrail and a 2lb summer sleeping bag. Will these items fit in the 38L pack with room for my MSR Pocket Rocket small Titanium pot, four days worth of food and clothes (one pair of socks, one pair of underwear and tights for around camp and one northface thin compressable coat? I want to go as small as I can!
    I'm assuming that quoted 35 lbs includes the pack's wt. Does your 35 lbs include consumable wt? water, food, fuel, etc? If yes, quantities? In that 70 L backpack? I ask because IF 35 lbs includes consumables it's my guess it is the consumable, especially the food bulk, that is taking up an inordinate amount of that 70 L pack's volume not so much when compared to the total volume of your gear although a 2 lb summer bag you certainly can drop 10+ oz there and likely some bulk. Next, look at your clothing bulk you'll have to haul regularly not what you'll be likely routinely wearing.

So, depending you may be best off with reducing consumable bulk. Just by doing that one could likely drop down in volume required in a backpack. And, if you're like me I generally much prefer as I reduce in volume in a backpack I also expect to be decreasing wt of the backpack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++