WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Patagonia Houdini jack as rain coat

Hi allI was just wondering if I was to buy the Houdini jacket would it work as a rain coat or should I still carry my Frog togg for those heavy rains. Hope to be on the AT in the south for 2 to 3 wks in May and know it can get wet and cold. Does any body have experience with this coat pro or con. Thanks

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

The Houdini is rain resistant, so basically it will shed small amounts of water such as drizzle. Anything more than a little drizzle or a short burst of rain will wet it out. So I'd still carry the Frogg Toggs. I use a Houdini primarily as a wind breaker and love it by the way.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Great for what it is intended for WIND.....love mine but usually layer over an OR helium 11 or Driducks if expecting rain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Maybe in the desert....

Wind jackets wet out fast, especially when start sweating, which happens when no longer breathes due to external moisture, then it clings like a wet T-shirt and freezes you because thin material has no body to it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-26-2016 at 13:28.

No experience but those that use it love it for its weight and wind resistance. Not for rain. But, consider that no matter what you wear, you'll wet yourself eventually. No matter how waterproof

I have used mine in some pretty substantial downpours and have been quite pleased.
    Granted, I also use an umbrella.

Cold temps would be the deal breaker.

The Alpine Houdini may be a good middle ground... got one for my wife as the Houdini is a bit light for her. Though she hasn't used it enough for me to comment much.
    Personally I have an M10 (2.5layer WPB) already for cooler three season and winter and the plain Houdini for summer and warmer three season as my switch point.

When brand new- you can get an hour or so out of the DWR on the Houdini. After a decent season though they will wet out in 10 minutes of decent rain.
    But they dry fast so I tend to use it on it's own in temps 55 and up even in the rain when moving. If I was sitting around much outside my shelter- I bring the full shell up to 65-70.

I also use one with an umbrella. Generally one arm gets soaked. Any other little splashes end up drying out within a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The Alpine Houdini may be a good middle ground... got one for my wife as the Houdini is a bit light for her. Though she hasn't used it enough for me to comment much.
    Personally I have an M10 (2.5layer WPB) already for cooler three season and winter and the plain Houdini for summer and warmer three season as my switch point.

When brand new- you can get an hour or so out of the DWR on the Houdini. After a decent season though they will wet out in 10 minutes of decent rain.
    But they dry fast so I tend to use it on it's own in temps 55 and up even in the rain when moving. If I was sitting around much outside my shelter- I bring the full shell up to 65-70.
    Wonder is any of the gear wash or dwr washes would help?

Go with the Frogg Toggs - you are gonna wet out with the Houdini. Also in my opinion there is no situation on a long hike that you would need both FT and the H.
    But like everything else, everybody's got an opinion. HYOH

Quote Originally Posted by b-square View Post
    Go with the Frogg Toggs - you are gonna wet out with the Houdini. Also in my opinion there is no situation on a long hike that you would need both FT and the H.
    But like everything else, everybody's got an opinion. HYOH
    I used to think that until I tried as part of my layering system...breathes waaaay better than frogg toggs or in my case OR helium 11.

Thanks I think Ill get one appreciate everyones help

personally, I think you should have both. a wind shirt is not a rain jacket but when you need a wind shirt, it's sooooo nice to have...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Wonder is any of the gear wash or dwr washes would help?

Yup, that's why they make DWRs to reapply. It DOES make a difference especially if reapplied as directed using a high quality DWR. A great DIY DWR: https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/durab...proofing#36221 Some would argue that applying this on a wind jacket or wind pants that previously had a DWR from the factory that has degraded hampers breathability to the point of a no-go. I'm not of that opinion.

The reg Patagonia Houdini Jacket absolutely does wet out though. Gotta know the difference between a wind jacket verse a true rain jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    personally, I think you should have both. a wind shirt is not a rain jacket but when you need a wind shirt, it's sooooo nice to have...
    And, with something like a Patagonia Houdini Jacket or Montbell Tachyon Jacket at a wispy sub 2 - 3 oz balling up to a tennis ball….Nice to have a UL/SUL true rain jacket in the sub 6-7 oz category AND a 2-3 oz wind shirt having the versatility of both individually or paired together can be soooo nice.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I use my Frogg Toggs as a wind shirt and a rain jacket. I carried the Houdini for awhile too but found I could get double duty from the rain jacket so I sent it home.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I've thought about the Houdini as a trail running jacket to wear or bring in a light rain or windy situation - but when I will only be out for a few hours or a long day. I don't think I'd depend on it for anything more than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    And, with something like a Patagonia Houdini Jacket or Montbell Tachyon Jacket at a wispy sub 2 - 3 oz balling up to a tennis ball….Nice to have a UL/SUL true rain jacket in the sub 6-7 oz category AND a 2-3 oz wind shirt having the versatility of both individually or paired together can be soooo nice.
    You mentioned pairing the 2 pieces a few years back....at the time I thought it was redundant until I tried it! The Houdini is one of my favorite pieces for all around use and layers great for colder weather under my helium 2 lite wt rain shell.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    You mentioned pairing the 2 pieces a few years back....at the time I thought it was redundant until I tried it! The Houdini is one of my favorite pieces for all around use and layers great for colder weather under my helium 2 lite wt rain shell.

I just went on some hikes in oregon including a Oregon PCT section hike using this layering approach. It worked well allowing the Marmot Mica(last one I'm buying or getting) and then Outdoor Research Helium II and a light wt merino tee on the coast and while night hiking. It's worth considering as a better alternative to break up the wt and bulk of a single 10 oz true rain jacket into these two components with a similar wt and bulk.

What I think this can do is bring greater usage of apparel i.e; more ozs, more bulk that isn't so often dead wt or as rarely used. Furthering that process each or both pieces can add to a sleep system - worn as sleep wear, over footwear to sleep on as a pillow, under insulation, spread out as a small place to store stuff on as one camps/stops, etc. It also may allow one to bring a lower wt lower bulk next to skin layer i.e; lighter wt tee, perhaps a short sleeved verse LS, etc. If concerned throw in some extremity accessories of UL wt. i.e; beanie, running gloves, extra pr socks, etc. All this snowballs. Think runner perhaps ultra runner but you don't have to run unless you're Jurek. Unsupported FKTers have been doing this for awhile. Fast and light - OK maybe. But how about just lighter? Recognize the possible rewards of that alone. I know many do. I know I do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++