WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shaded or a whole lot of sun?

O.K. Although my hopes are set for a Labor day hike from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap (which may be to optimistic ), I have been hiking 5 miles a day(weeki-ends)_ with my backpack in the blazing sun at times just to see how hot and nasty it can get. Please tell me that a good portion of this part of the trail will be shaded. I hike on open roads as it is so I can not escape the sun.
    I think my other concern would be water.

Journal Entries

Green tunnel

long long green tunnel GA to ME

Images

On Labor Day Weekend you'll be in the trees the majority of the time. Plenty of shade, but can be warm or even hot along with humid.

Yes, Georgia is a "long green tunnel" except when a lot of thru-hikers start in March, when there are no leaves on the trees. I've seen a lot of badly sunburnt hikers. But you'll be fine next week.

Hope you enjoy it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Keep an eye on the weather forecast. Tropical systems may impact the southeast late next week. But there's also early word that a cold front (bringing relief from the heat, not actual cold temps) might come through. All of these things are still very iffy and subject to changing drastically.

The trail from Amicalola to Neels is heavily forested. If a cold front doesn't come through, humidity will be your biggest problem.

There are a few sunny areas - Cedar Mountain (Preaching Rock) and Blood Mountain. But those are high, usually have a breeze, and afford nice views.

Expect high humidity and be prepared to carry extra water. You will be in shade majority of the time.

One item I carry, and use the least, is sunglasses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    On Labor Day Weekend you'll be in the trees the majority of the time. Plenty of shade, but can be warm or even hot along with humid.

Yes, Georgia is a "long green tunnel" except when a lot of thru-hikers start in March, when there are no leaves on the trees. I've seen a lot of badly sunburnt hikers. But you'll be fine next week.

Hope you enjoy it.
    Agree. March-April on the trail before leaf-out can be brutal in the direct sun. No shade anywhere.

I will agree green tunnel after spring leaf out but can be brutal before leaf out in spring.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    long long green tunnel GA to ME
    Not quite... there are meadows, fields, balds and bare ridges here and there. But as I recall, Georgia was mostly green tunnel.

I used sunglasses nearly every day until the leaves came in, then it wasn't worth the bother of digging them out of my pack to cross the occasional meadow or bald. Keeping them on in the green tunnel, even on the sunniest day was also bad. Far too dark.

Expensive prescription sunglasses for me, so I couldn't just dump them in a handy pocket or hang them from a strap. YMMV.

++ New Posts ++