WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smokies -- do I really need a tent?

Hi, I'll be hiking the northern Smokies in mid- September with a few friends. We already have our permit reservations. Do we really need to bring tents at this time of year? I understand that during thru-hiker season the shelters are crowded and that there many not be space even though we have a reservation -- does the same apply in the fall? I'm thinking about just bringing my emergency bivy and not a tent. Thoughts?

You are entitled to a spot in the shelters if you have reservations for individual shelters (not a "thru-hiker" permit). And I would think your emergency bivy would be adequate to get out of the elements if you are caught in an emergency situation between shelters. But do bring the bivy -- don't try to omit a personal shelter altogether.
    Last edited by map man; 08-28-2016 at 08:00.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Do I really need to buy car insurance?

It is your decision if you want to carry a small shelter or carry the risk of getting stranded with injury during an all day rain and nothing but a soaked sleeping bad to keep you company. Your risk, your decision. Don't look for validation to do something foolish from people on the internet.

Journal Entries

Dont need tent
    Do need something

My bad, I didn't read carefully. You are taking a bivvy...

Sorry also about the frustrated tone. I've seen a similar question here so many times that is asking if they can go without anything.

Most agree you need to carry some sort of shelter. If you bivy is truly weatherpoof, that would be perfect. If not, something like a poncho tarp would work also.

Tents are in many ways the preferred shelter in the Smokies. I remember climbing the hill from Fontana Dam to Mollies Ridge shelter and getting there early in the day, happy to secure my spot in the shelter according to the "rules". To my surprise, the next 20 people to arrive instantly put up tents even though there was plenty of space in the shelter. So there were dozens of tents up, and rather few people in the shelter. This is not following the rules, but it was what happened in the Smokies, generally, at times of decent weather. In bad weather the shelters were crowded, of course.

Images

This is not following the rules, but it was what happened in the Smokies, generally, at times of decent weather.

but that doesn't make it right and we shouldnt be encouraging others to break the rules .

after all, the more rules that are broken---the more they will put in place.....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mellow mountain View Post
    Hi, I'll be hiking the northern Smokies in mid- September with a few friends. We already have our permit reservations. Do we really need to bring tents at this time of year? I understand that during thru-hiker season the shelters are crowded and that there many not be space even though we have a reservation -- does the same apply in the fall? I'm thinking about just bringing my emergency bivy and not a tent. Thoughts?
    Fall brings out the leave peepers, and because there are plenty of people who don't follow the rules, there is always the possibility of encountering a full shelter.
    But you have the right idea... shelter or no, you need some sort of shelter because you never know what might happen (such as tripping over a rock and spraining an ankle that you don't make it to the shelter before day's end). So as long as you're ready for an emergency, then you're ready for the shelters.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    but that doesn't make it right and we shouldnt be encouraging others to break the rules .

after all, the more rules that are broken---the more they will put in place.....
    Well, if it were thru hikers anticipating shelter to be full due to sheer number of guests each night, then might not be a problem. Puzzling cause thru hikers love love love their shelters. Usually cram 14 or more into 12 person in GSMNP . I dont know where you could put 20 tents at most shelters. Many dont have decent ground for even a few. Mollies has a little room, but you really dont want to get too close to the cat field....
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-28-2016 at 18:09.

I'd always bring my own shelter through GSMNP. One doesn't always know when they will NEED their shelter. Don't rely on AT lean-tos as a matter of the only option as you'll be backing yourself into a corner.

If you're really, really convinced that you don't need to carry something for a personal "emergency" shelter try camping "cowboy style" (no roof, no pad, no sleeping bag, nothing, maybe a hat) out under a tree.
    I can guarantee you'll start carrying at least a tarp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

You have approximately a 92.83% chance of being fine without a tent at this time of year, maybe a bit less on a Saturday night. Just hope a big youth group doesn't get to the shelter before you do.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

You have approximately a 92.83% chance of being fine without a tent at this time of year

again----that dont make it right.............

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    If you're really, really convinced that you don't need to carry something for a personal "emergency" shelter try camping "cowboy style" (no roof, no pad, no sleeping bag, nothing, maybe a hat) out under a tree.
    I can guarantee you'll start carrying at least a tarp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    You are entitled to a spot in the shelters if you have reservations for individual shelters (not a "thru-hiker" permit). And I would think your emergency bivy would be adequate to get out of the elements if you are caught in an emergency situation between shelters. But do bring the bivy -- don't try to omit a personal shelter altogether.
    I've been entitled to shelter use in GSMNP in the fall according to my permit or AT thru-hiker status arriving at a FULL shelter under inclement rainy weather. At that point you can ask to see everyone's permit in which case there's likely to be some lying and at least some hesitation and bad feelings(most would be pissed to get out of their snug digs inside a shelter to go set up in the rain) and blah blah blah or you can do something else(hike on(f dat at 9 p.m. in a heavy rain with a 7 a.m. start), emergency tent/bivy, etc . Obviously, it's at the point too many are doing what they want or are simply vastly ignorant of others. See TN Hikers comment. Bring your own tarp or bivy at least! Chuck T is right. Try Chuck T's scenario as it starts to unexpectedly rain at 3 a.m. Been there dun that on the AT , PCT, etc. Not fun, having to get up soaked, sleeping bag soaked in the rain, cold, blah blah blah to HAVE TO HIKE. Lose the wt somewhere else. Shelter and sleep system are not the areas you want to totally cut from your kit! NEVER be at the total mercy or reliance of someone else in the wilderness when it's avoidable is one of my rules for backpacking and is a core principle of HYOH. HYOH IS NOT JUST ABOUT DEFENDING YOUR HIKING RIGHTS BUT BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR BEHAVIOR ON YOUR HIKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    You have approximately a 92.83% chance of being fine without a tent at this time of year, maybe a bit less on a Saturday night. Just hope a big youth group doesn't get to the shelter before you do.
    again----that dont make it right.............

I would bring a tent just for the fact of bears, It gives you a little more space, in case of a testing bear bite. I don't really worry about them but in smoky and NJ. It seems bears are less scared of people.
    And they added a new rule of not camping on the porches of unused cabins.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deeann View Post
    I would bring a tent just for the fact of bears, It gives you a little more space, in case of a testing bear bite.

maybe one should ask the guy who was in a tent at spence field this past spring about his experience with a bear.........

This happened to me in the fall in GSMNP at a AT lean-to. Arrived at the shelter according to my permit in a heavy rain with a over full shelter in the dark. It's muddy. I'm beat with the 7 a.m start. I ask to everyone, "does your permit allow you stay here?" I get some weird stares and obviously defensive comments and two, "well, I don't knows". One person says they lost their permit. Three people say they have no shelter. Two people just stare at me like I'm asking a question in a foreign language they don't want to understand. I show my permit. Where do I go from there if I hadn't brought a shelter of my own?

maybe one should ask the guy who was in a tent at spence field this past spring about his experience with a bear.........
    Is your position - one is less likely to have a bear encounter at one of the disgusting, rodent infested, food trash cans, they call shelters? Those things are critter magnets.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Runsalone View Post
    Is your position - one is less likely to have a bear encounter at one of the disgusting, rodent infested, food trash cans, they call shelters? Those things are critter magnets.

well.............

for one----a bear cant bite through a shelter................so theres that.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++