Default Wool Underwear that fit like Hanes

I live in a small town so my options for shopping including Walmart and...well, pretty much just Walmart. A couple of outdoors stores are here too, but they don't carry underwear. This means I rely on Amazon for a lot of purchases but can't try things on.

I love my Hanes Comfortsoft Bikini Underwear for every day wear, and have found some suitable synthetic alternatives for hiking, but I really want some underwear for hiking in wool or a wool blend for backpacking. After being out for a few days I want something that is going to keep the offensiveness to a minimum...which synthetic doesn't do.

Can anyone recommend wool underwear that fits like the the Hanes I usually wear? I looked at the Ibex Balance Bikinis and they look similar, but I'm not wanting to drop $30 on a single pair underwear if they don't fit the way I want or need or last well. Are there any others I should consider? The Smartwool and Icebreaker Merion Bikinis don't seem to have enough coverage and there are reports of both riding up a lot.

I love, love, LOVE wool panties (even wrote a blog post about it scheduled for tomorrow...see link below). I've invested (A LOT) in Icebreaker, Ibex and Smartwool and I'm devoted to the Smartwool boy shorts because...no wedgie for me!!!

But I didn't know what worked for me until I tried out a few. Icebreakers fit, but were super delicate and fell apart way too soon. Ibex were too thick and lost their "spring" and rode up, but not till the 3rd or 4th wearing. Smartwool bikinis...wedgy city.

My point is that you might have to "drop $30" a couple of times to see what works for you. Because fit is really personal. But overall, I've had less problems with riding up with the boy short styles, I think because there's just more fabric there.

Check out my article on wool panties here: www.rubythroatjournal.com/journal. It will be posted on 12/14.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Have you tried ExEfficio?

They are still synthetic that is treated with some sort of odar resistant stuff. I know the men's have gotten good reviews, but I can only guess the women's review as well. You can usually pick up a pair for less than $15 at Sierra Trading Post (but to get free or reduced shipping, you have to spend $500 or $100, depending upon this week's coupons... shipping charges at STP are rediculous if you don't use one of their coupons to get free or $1 shipping.)
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 12-13-2016 at 22:52.

I actually found some by Ibex. Comfortable and merino wool but their sizing was absolutely terrible. I weigh all of 110 and run Small (5) in a Hanes. Size Large in the Ibex are the same size as my small Hanes.

Images

Agree with the comment that the Icebreakers are too delicate and fall apart too soon. Other than that, I really liked them.

Exofficio is the way to go, at least for me. I prefer natural fibers for that sort of clothing, but everything I tried was not quite right, so I broke down and bought the Exofficios. I have three pair for hiking now and they still look/wash great. The original pair in Damascus and finished the AT with plus a lot of other hiking still look great.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

I would like to take this opportunity to sing the praises of Stoic brand merino wool boyshorts. I was skeptical when virtually ALL the reviews said "guaranteed to not ride up" but I bought a pair anyway to find out for myself. Miraculous! They don't ride up! They are super comfortable as well. I now own four pairs and couldn't be happier. Watch steep and cheap dot com for sales-you can get them for around 15 bucks a pair on sale.

I started my thru hike with 2 pair of my regular undies. In Gatlinburg I bought a pair of exofficio boyshort undies. They were really nice. Somewhere farther along the trail I bought a pair of Ibex bikinis. They ended up being my favorite. Still my favorite pair of underwear. They don't ride up and a year later they are still in the rotation.

++ New Posts ++