WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hiking in Crocs Full time

I think I am probably going to get a "I think you have answered your own question here" but all the same to sooth my overthinking mind..

Current shoe situation: I am on my 3rd pair of Soloman speedcross 3s. as seen below:

IMG_4257.JPG

When I start a hike they feel great. about 20 miles into the hike, usually on day 2 my pinky toes on both feet hurt so bad, the nails black, figure I'm going to loose those little guys, and well..it sucks, trip after trip my toes hurt and feel like they are getting crushed in the front of my shoe.

NOW, 2 trips in a row now I have strapped my Solomans to my pack, and put on my crocs. 2 trips ago I walked the 8 miles over dragons tooth in crocs, and this trip I walked 26 miles in crocs and MAN WAS IT NICE. Now the down fall to them is that I do have to watch out for the jagged rocks but I think that the crocs proving themselves over DT and Daleville north says something.

Ankle support really isn't an issue for me as I roll my ankle freely and it causes me no pain. Just looking for thoughts on this 3 season footwear option, and maybe some options on what would be most similar to them in a show form. Maybe what I need to be looking for a much more square toe box?

IMG_4305.JPG
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I actually did some racewalk training in Crocs, up to 30km distances. Very comfortable, using 2-layer Wrightsocks.
    I was wondering about taking them on the Bruce Trail here in Ontario, but when I tried them out on our stony and rocky trails, they were too soft … On dirt trails, I can well imagine they're great!

Bruce Traillium, brucetraillium.wordpress.com

Sounds like you might need to go up half a size. I tried both a 7 and 7 1/2 and there wasn't much difference in the feeling of the sizes, but just enough to make a difference to my feet. Might be worth looking into. I have a pair of 7s I bought before I realized the 7 1/2 was a slightly better fit. I will use them on day hikes and overnighters where I'm not hiking as many miles. I love my Salomon Speedcross 3 TR too, although the rocks are a little rough on the knobby bits of the sole

Two thoughts:
    1) Crocks suck in wet and slippery conditions, i.e. they can be seriously dangerous on steep wet trails.
    2) Ditto on the above comments about being great on flat dirt and bad on sharp rocky terrain.
    3) Yes, this is my third of two thoughts.
    4) I have a similar problem with my little toes and Soloman shoes, which used to fit me better than any other and now I cannot wear them without problems. Feet change over time damn it! And NO, going up in size does not solve the problem for me.
    5) My toe issues have finally been solved by either wearing Chaco sandles (I use the ones with the toe loop) or wearing Altra Loan Peak 2.5 shoes. The Chaco's work surprisingly well, even on horribly rough and rocky terrain like in the Presidentials of the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The Altras just have a wonderful toe box and being a closed shoe work better in winter snow than the Chacos do. The Altras are also significantly lighter than the Chacos.

Good luck. There are lots of great shoes out there to experiment with until you find ones that work. Just make sure you buy your experiments from someplace like REI that allow you to return them if the experiment doesn't work.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries
    Images

Keens have wider foot box. I also just got some adidas swift r and really like them so far but only have 24 miles on them.

Images

My original Waldies rubber clogs are great, but they get very slippery on wet surfaces. Like "break your neck" slippery. Not sure how Crocs fare in those conditions, but I'd want to know before counting on them for a long hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Even though I have narrow feet, Salomon's have always caused problems for my small toes since they seem to run narrow. I switched to the Brooks Cascadia's and found they have a much better toe box and I have zero issues with my pinky toes since switching to them. For maximum toe box comfort, take a look at the Altra Lone Peak. They look like clown shoes sometimes but very comfy. The zero-drop takes a while to get use to and may not be for everyone.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 09-06-2016 at 11:43.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

In 2015, I hiked the AT on/off with a woman whose trail name was Corky, who did the entire trail in Crocs. From what I remember, her shoes weren't comfortable for her, either for some reason. She put on the Crocs one day, hiked in them and that was it. That was somewhere during her first completion of the AT. In 2015, on her second thru, it was Crocs all the way.

I remember a couple of other individuals that were hiking in Crocs, too. People hike in all sorts of footwear, or not in some cases. I suppose it is a whatever works for you situation.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Two thoughts:
    1) Crocks suck in wet and slippery conditions, i.e. they can be seriously dangerous on steep wet trails.........................................
    I broke my ankle from a slip on my patio in wet weather while wearing Crocks. The nurse at the ER said "that happens a lot with Crocks". They might be OK in dry conditions but I can't imagine wearing them on a wet steep trail.
    Last edited by TexasBob; 09-06-2016 at 09:56.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I had similar issues but since switching to a wider toe box trail runner problem went away....
    Switched to laSportiva wildcats....great width and comfort...not sure why but thought I try the Altras....just bought a pair of Altra LP 3.0....so far so good.....very happy with both of these...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Hiking in Crocs Full time

I've just been using the cheap walmart knockoffs for camp shoes, but I ha c e to find something better. the 12s are a little too tight and the 13s are way too loose.

Hiking in Crocs Full time

Accident waiting to happen hiking in Crocs full time on anything but the driest, flattish, non rocky, maintained trail. Much care has to be given not to let an accident happen LD hiking in Crocs routinely on the AT.

Definitely sounds like a trail runner shoe width issue. Some get away with too narrow a shoe but over the longer term hot spots, irritation, hardened calluses, and blisters can form on the inside of the small toe. I'm getting over this mistake on my left foot right now. The pain started creeping into the rest of my foot from the little toe not having enough space to allow all my toes to splay out. And, it was a mistake because I knew better but still attempted to wear Brooks Ghost in wide rather the Altras, Keens, or HOKAS(some models are definitely wider than others) I could have opted for.

Have you replaced your Solomon stock footbeds with another perhaps of greater volume which can lead this to happen also? Make sure the custom footbeds fill the entire shoe's footbed. Even a small pencil's width or less drop off in the tip of the footbed can lead to the blisters under the little toe as well as elsewhere on the foot. I have a selection of after market footbeds with one change being some are THIN or Low volume which can help.

Same is true if you change out to lower volume less bulky socks that take up less volume. Try a dress sock for example.

New Balance has wide widths if you think that night help. I wear 4E. Your pinky toes might like a wider shoe.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

"And, it was a mistake because I knew better but still attempted to wear Brooks Ghost in wide rather the Altras, Keens, or HOKAS(some models are definitely wider than others) I could have opted for."

For me, just going to a wide wasn't good enough. It's the same with Nike. The toe box is simply cut the wrong way for my forefeet's width.

Little things like this can that definitely can be avoided can erupt into sidelining injuries that can take an excruciating long time to heal properly when you're in the gotta go zone.

Insoles: My feet have different arches, the left foot requires a copper superfeet insole, and right foot requires a bright orange one. With this matchup the arch pain goes away for the entirety of my trip.

Socks: I am wearing smartwool PhD mediums which I am happy with.

I am not saying it cant happen, as I know I am not invincible but I have never sprained an ankle(rolled it countless times), have never fallen on the trail, I guess my worry now is more of a slippery when wet issue then a crash and burn injury. Looks like I need to find a SHOE the has the same characteristics as the toe box of the Crocs.

Pros for me of the crocs:
    light
    100% breathable
    soft on the feet
    no chance of blisters
    dry almost immediately
    cheap

cons:
    Zero ankle support (but compared to below ankle runners?...)
    slippery when wet
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I had this problem so I tried Injinji liner socks and it was a vast improvement. But since changing to Brooks 910s I haven't had the problem liner socks or not. I think it's just a matter of finding the right shoe for your foot.

Then they will stop making them and it will be back to square one!
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Agree that this is an ill fitted shoe problem, due to Soleman's more narrow foot box. However, one other thing to try is to re-lace the shoes with a different lacing configuration. Check You Tube for video on different lacing techniques. I have the same problem with a larger right foot that aches, goes to sleep and loses nails more than the left foot. I love Merrils and also have a pair of Solomen Trail Runners. Both fit my left foot wonderfully but the right foot is in pain. Going up a 1/2 size helps the right but the left is too loose and sloppy. The solution was a normal lacing on the left boot but a different lace configuration on the right. Now I am able to hike without issues. Just one more suggestion that I hadn't seen mentioned.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

Ditch the Salomons and try some Altra Lone Peaks. Your toes will be happy toes.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Phoenix, who Thrued in 2010 (and use to post on WB) did the entire AT in Crocs. I believe Crocs even sponsored him by providing free footwear.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++