WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default What are your future hiking plans?

For me...

2016 - Superior Hiking Trail (done)
    2017 - Colorado Trail
    2018 - CDT (what I have left of Montana/Wyoming)
    2019 - CDT (New Mexico)
    2020 - Open (probably a big AT section since it's local)
    2021 - PCT again for 60th birthday.

I haven't attached specific years to most of these but this is my overall bucket list, not in any particular order, but with ones I"m more likely to do within a few years listed first. My next hike is a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim in mid October.

Arizona Trail
    John Muir Trail thru hike in seven days or less (hiked 2 1/2 times previously)
    Tour du Mont Blanc (organized ultra or independent fastpack - hiked once before)
    Colorado Trail thru hike (hiked once before)
    GR10 (Pyrnees - Atlantic to Mediterranean)
    Long Trail
    Tuscarora Trail
    AT Thru Hike
    PCT Thru Hike (already done southern third up to Tuolumne)
    CDT Thru Hike
    Via Alpina
    Te Araroa
    Camino Del Norte
    Pacific Northwest Trail

Yeah, so I pretty much want to do it all but I'm turning 43 this month so I still have time.

These are just the names of what folks will recognized in the U.S. The majority of my Top 10 hikes aren't completing named trails/routes or thru-hiking as most define it or most would know the hikes - unnamed hikes

Unitas Highline Tr/Route
    Centennial Trail in Idaho
    Medicine Bow Wyoming 100 mile hike
    Big Foot Tr although also like Sage Clegg's Japhy Ryder Route too that takes in a lot of segments from different trails/routes http://sageclegg.com/expeditions/japhy-ryder-route/ I'd be throwing in Cali's Lost CoasT tr onto it though
    Finishing the PNT
    Finishing the Cali Coastal Tr.
    Another PCT thru(love the PCT!)
    Pictured Rocks Nat. Seashore
    Another Mauna Loa to Mauna Kea hike
    Maah Daah Hey Tr
    Denali NP
    Wrangell - St Elias NP
    More hikes in Yellowstone NP

leaving next week:
    AT NoBo section hike: Thornton Gap, VA to Deleware Water Gap, PA

decided to get my a*s back on the AT and get it finished, I keep getting detoured to the LT in Vermont in Aug-Sept
    surgery for torn achilles tendon in Aug-15 now appears to have been a total success, hiking without heel pain now

Most current (next weekend!! Woohoo!!) is my 2nd section with my brother from the Audie Murphy memorial, Dragons tooth, McAfee, Tinker, Hay Rock, and then into Daleville.
    After that, I'm not too sure, but I would like to try my hand at a short winter section.
    2017 planning another thru attempt. Not picking up where I left off last time (Blackhorse Gap on Skyline Drive in Va), but starting completely over.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

After a year and a half of non backpacking nor many outdoor activities----I'll just be happy to get out and do anything....

Images

In a couple of week I leave for a 380 mile stroll through the Winds, Gros Ventre Wilderness, Tetons and Yellowstone. Beyond that, hmmm.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

near term....spend 1.5 weeks watching leaves turn somewhere in October, maybe Shenandoah.

my month trip this yr was preempted by work project schedule changes.

Roper route (SHR)
    Torres del Paine (my employer has a site in Chile I want to wrangle an assignment to)
    CDT thru Weminuche
    Wonderland
    Various in Glacier NP
    Maybe a full PCT thru in about 5 yr, maybe not.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-11-2016 at 16:21.

Patagonia in late November
    There's a trail in the Italian Alps - the Glorious Return - I've hiked all of it in the Italian section, but want to finish off a stretch from Geneva to Val d'Isere in France
    GTA trail in the Alps (overlaps with the Glorious Return trail in sections)

Slo's got me thinking about a trek of the Colorado Trail. Heck, we'd talked about doing it together next summer and then I went and got a job. Silly me, what was I thinking? Would love to do the JMT but the registration process just seems like a huge PITA.

Short term -- starting in about a week and a half -- some strenuous day hikes in the vicinity of Florence, Cinque Terre, Venice and Prague.

Long term, most likely revisiting favorite sections of the southern AT. Haven't hiked anywhere south of Pearisburg in eons.

In August, on a whim, looking at my fat self in the mirror, I decided to set a goal of hiking 500 miles over the next year. The last few years I've only been doing 4 or 5 twenty mile trips a year, though I did do a 40 mile trip last year. I've already done about 30 miles on day hikes. In a couple weeks I'll be doing a 70+ mile hike on the Ozark Trail. This fall I have 4 short overnight trips planned on local loop trails that will log another 52 miles. In the spring I want to do a thruhike of the Katy Trail which will add another 237 miles. That will put me close to 400 miles. There are also quite a few short 1 to 3 mile day hikes in the area that I can do several times as they are right on my way to work. Hoping to drop 25 pounds and keep my blood pressure under control.

The Cohos Trail in NH

Planning to do a short, 42 mile, section hike from VA 42 near Ceres to VA 611 over Columbus Day weekend.

Garlic
    Images

2017 I'll turn 60 and would like to re-hike the CT, since the TH is practically in my back yard.

Sometime after our aging dog is gone, my wife and I want to hike in Italy. We're calling it Year One AD (After Daisy).
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    2017 I'll turn 60 and would like to re-hike the CT, since the TH is practically in my back yard.

Sometime after our aging dog is gone, my wife and I want to hike in Italy. We're calling it Year One AD (After Daisy).
    This is actually something I worry about...my dog is 10 years old and is of a breed that normally lives to 15 or 16...so in the next few years I'm going to likely have a harder time doing the backpacking thing depending upon how much longer he can continue to hike with me. He did 40 miles last year but the last day every time we stopped he laid down and literally instantly fell asleep. When it was time to go he was up and running...never balked about having to get back on the trail. But it makes me wonder what his limit is. For my upcoming 70 mile trip we have a backup plan for someone to pick him up if we find he can't make it the whole way.

To hike as much as I can. Period. Next weekend taking my 7 year old from Snickers Gap to Harper's Ferry. From there, hike the AT when and where I am able

2017: AT Damascus to Bland
    2018: AT Bland to Daleville
    2019: Hopefully retirement and an AT SOBO thru-hike attempt

Other hikes I want to tackle after retirement:

PCT SOBO thru-hike
    YoYo hikes of the Colorado Trail, Long Trail and Superior Hiking Trail
    And then in 2030 be the first guy to do a YoYo hike of the AT while in his 70s -- well, a guy can dream.

Just don't tell my wife
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

The HMW again- next week. It's the closest AT section to me.

The whole state of Maine in one shot.

AZ trail

Grand enchantment

Hayduke

PCT

The northern half of AT SOBO

To name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    For me...

2016 - Superior Hiking Trail (done)
    2017 - Colorado Trail
    2018 - CDT (what I have left of Montana/Wyoming)
    2019 - CDT (New Mexico)
    2020 - Open (probably a big AT section since it's local)
    2021 - PCT again for 60th birthday.

I had to double check your age to make sure I was seeing things right. Dude, you look GREAT for your age. I would have thought you to be in your 40s, easy.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Slo's got me thinking about a trek of the Colorado Trail. Heck, we'd talked about doing it together next summer and then I went and got a job. Silly me, what was I thinking? Would love to do the JMT but the registration process just seems like a huge PITA.

Short term -- starting in about a week and a half -- some strenuous day hikes in the vicinity of Florence, Cinque Terre, Venice and Prague.

Long term, most likely revisiting favorite sections of the southern AT. Haven't hiked anywhere south of Pearisburg in eons.
    Rafe, I can give you some tips for obtaining a JMT permit that worked for me. Definitely worth the effort.

I walked the Cinque Terre 30 years ago, the five towns are beautiful. Do you have reservations along the way? I can testify to the fact that the locals do not appreciate 'stealth campers' in their olive groves. Yikes! Fall should be a very nice time to do this. The food is great, the local white wine is great, the people are passionate.

I plan on doing the Bedford section of the BCT sometime in the next month. Perhaps you can join me for a little walk.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++