WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K03EFZOmzw

Reporting hitting Pearisburg, VA (1554.5) in 36 days puts her at 43.16 MPD
    So 634.6 to Springer though she says hoping to hit Atkins by the end of the day?
    If so that’s 36 days to Atkins (1645.3) at 45.95 MPD with 543.8 to finish.

Anish is at 54d 7h 48min or 54.5 days and 40.16 MPD average.

Call it the worse of the two above-
    36 days to Pearisburg leaves 18.5 days to finish. That's 34.3 miles per day.

Or flipped the other way- if she held 43 MPD she'd wrap it up in 14.75 days for a total of 50.76 days.

Some quick; but promising math. Keep in mind- though I don't know the details this is the southbound leg of a YO-YO on top of it, so there may be an FKT there as well, if not simply a good story.

This young lady has been a bit difficult to follow from an FKT standpoint… this recent video diary is her first semi-clear cut post regarding her progress that I could find. But as I mentioned on Karl's thread I haven't dug into this much but this recent video caught my attention.

Either way- the cause she is hiking for is something that is noteworthy in my opinion- but that may be an opinion best not discussed here.

However… the times she's posting do warrant some discussion if they prove out.

Perhaps time to take this one more seriously and I'm sure some hits on her site/youtube would be a welcome morale boost if nothing else for a fellow hiker.

Best of Luck regardless of any records on her journey.

http://www.hikeforourlives.org/
    How exactly did she do 543 miles in under 10 days?
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

While I certainly don't know for certain, I share Malto's incredulity. The claimed time does not seem possible given the necessity to detour into towns to refuel. Without better transparency and documentation, this is very hard to accept. I'm glad it is not my call.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    There is NFW she did an unsupported trip and beat a two world class veteran runners while carrying all of gear. Beating Anish would have been a big enough tale but this is beyond ridiculous which is why it has almost no coverage.

Exactly...I'm calling BS on this claim. No way in hell she covered that distance, that fast, with no support.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    How exactly did she do 543 miles in under 10 days?
    ooh ooh, I know this one...54.3 mpd

Some people keep referring to videos online. Can't find any that actually show anything. All the youtube ones are before the start. The FB page provides nothing really except PR shots at the start and finish and a video saying she has done 500 miles with no actual proof just a series of nondescript photos. I also see she is now calling for anyone that meet her to send photo's as "her phone" has died and she has no proof. A lot of the shots I have seen so far are near roads and forestry tracks or are before the start. Nothing I have seen so far is very convincing. Not saying she didn't but looking like it's going to be hard to prove.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I'm a doubter. Too much flesh on her ass. Matt Kirk just about starved to death and Annish was a rail at the end. Wouldn't this beat Annish by like 14 days, not four as somebody else said? Unsupported? No way. Come on. Meltzer and Jurek didn't spend a minute resupplying or getting water. Seriously.

It's about 8 days ahead of anish.

Seems to me any of these FKT records can be cheated upon in different ways.
    So, we are judging by past behavior aye? .
    And an old police mug shot makes her ineligible?
    Who's to judge?

I guess the future will require a SPOT to be worn and turned on at all times.
    Or some kind of chip that will replace it. (like they now do in marathons)
    I'll try not to judge and congratulate all of them.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I'm not going to congratulate someone who appears to be confused or misrepresenting the truth. The truth is the truth. Annish had a spot but didn't need one. She was very well documented and credible.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    It's about 8 days ahead of anish.
    Yeah, was thinking of Kirk's time I guess. 54 days unsupported. Amazing.

She claims on facebook that Anish did not use a SPOT GPS and a simple Google search turns up that, yes, Anish did use a SPOT GPS to document her hike.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdo...hiking-record/

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I met Kaiha on the evening of August 12 in Andover, Maine at Pine Ellis Hiker Hostel. On August 13 she took a zero in Andover on a rainy day and sat around drinking beer and smoking cigarettes.

So that's about 33 a day for the first 8 days, then an 8 mile sidestep to a hostel and a zero.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Yes, I seem to recall her mentioning that it took her 9 days to get to Andover. She said she was attempting to beat Anish's record and could still do it by taking a zero.

Did she hike to/from the hostel? Any ride would DQ her from the self-supported record, right?

If I'm doing the math right, that would mean she averaged 55 a day for the next 35 days including through New Hampshire?

Saw her 8/7...
    I think it was crossing E Branch Piscatquis River (2067.8) Rock hopping taking my time not to get wet, overheard her talking to someone else and it was memorable because she said she was yo-yoing. But all I heard was Wild card ninja and yo-yo'ing, I just waved to them said hello and continued on to Monson. That was probably around noon. So on pace for roughly 34/35 miles a day to that point. Which is impressive but too me that wouldn't put you with a good start. Katahdin to that point should be pretty smooth sailing (with the exception of the Hunt trail of course) I'd think you'd knock out bigger miles there
    Have my opinion but I'll keep it to myself, very impressive if she can get enough supporting evidence behind it.

Her plan to have people verify it for her seems to raising more questions

"Met her on August 20 in Dalton, MA. She and a few other hikers got kicked out of Tom's place after a long night of drinking."

"I met Kaiha on the evening of August 12 in Andover, Maine at Pine Ellis Hiker Hostel. On August 13 she took a zero in Andover on a rainy day and sat around drinking beer and smoking cigarettes."

So from the info we have, she did 33 a day for the first 8 days to Andover (246 miles), 543 in the last 10 from Atkins to Springer, Andover to Dalton in 8 days at 46 miles a day, or 368 miles. That leaves 1025 miles to cover in the 19 days in the middle, which means continuing that pace of 54 miles a day.

For context, Karl averaged 49 miles a day during the last 29 days, and that's with an 83 mile final day, 29 miles above her average. So it seems especially odd they never met each other, since during that time Karl did a 16 and a 23 mile day.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++