WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Thanks Bill. That pretty much sums it up.

Lets all move on unless there is some real news rather than speculation. As others said, only adds more fuel.

It is now Autumn. The favorite time for many outdoors people to get out there. Myself included.

Find the secluded camp, go on a favorite backpack or get in a trail run.

Enjoy.
    Really? "A proud woman doing her best".
    You are not holding her accountable in any way but you are holding the whole social media community accountable for not hiking enough? My claim is that I finished an AT section hike yesterday before an hour night hike back to the road.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    Really? "A proud woman doing her best".
    You are not holding her accountable in any way but you are holding the whole social media community accountable for not hiking enough? My claim is that I finished an AT section hike yesterday before an hour night hike back to the road.
    Meaning she has some issues. We've discussed the obvious fraudulent claims ad nauseam. And no amount of hen house clucking is going to change anything.

So, unless there is some substantial news to report, I suggest we let it rest.

EDIT: In fact, let's semi-close the thread. If anyone has any substantial news to add, I'll gladly append it to the thread. Please PM me. I'm home all week and won't be able to take my own advice sadly enough. But the hen house is closed for now.

Here's an item: http://www.outsideonline.com/2117301...t-21st-century

Most of you can be proud of being part of the firestorm...

FURTHER EDIT: For the reading challenged see the "the obvious fraudulent claims ad nauseam" sentence..well, unless FRAUDULENT is a new way of saying "endorsing" or "letting off the hook", I must be missing something here..

Here's a lovely fall photo instead.

Last edited by Mags; 09-24-2016 at 01:12.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

As promised, any new info would be posted...

From Bill:

Figured I'd just email you this instead of shuffling pics on WB.

The guy Billie Beartrap who gave her a ride in the park let Kaiha use his phone to call the hostel.

So she got in his vehicle inside the park and used his phone at 10:33 to call Stanimals.

They drove south on the blue ridge parkway to the Rockfish Gap pay station where Billie paid the day use fee as the booth at Front Royal was unmanned in the early morning.
    This gate stamp shows 10:47.

The date stamp on a short video shot by his son shows her at 11:05.

It doesn't matter how much of the trail was skipped but a section within the park clearly was spent in Billies vehicle.

Stanimals gave permission for his number to be displayed as it is a public number anyway.

This should validate Billies story as well as confirm that a portion of the trail was yellow blazed in the process.

Should be 5 pics.
    image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPGimage4.JPGimage5.JPG
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Default "The Problem With Claiming a FKT"

Note that the author, Kathryn Miles, is no stranger to the AT, having published articles in the Boston Globe about Ms. Largay.

http://www.outsideonline.com/2117301...t-21st-century

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Note that the author, Kathryn Miles, is no stranger to the AT, having published articles in the Boston Globe about Ms. Largay.
    Has she ever been on the AT?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

this was included in the other thread and the subject has been beat to death
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Has she ever been on the AT?
    Indeed, she has, although I doubt that she's the expert that you are.

Hi all, we already have a thread on this subject.It was closed unless there is new information to be posted. Thanks.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Default UPATE: Kaiha Bertollini - FKT

OCTOBER 1, 2016 VIA HIKE FOR OUR LIVES FB PAGE

UPDATE: Thank you for your patience as Kaiha and I have gotten our bearings this past week or so. It is not easy to collect yourself emotionally when meeting your basic survival needs are still a daily struggle which is a truth for both of us right now. Partnering on this vision was truly a whirlwind - a beautiful, blessed, miraculous, grounded in raw truth whirlwind. So yes, we are emotional, and not afraid it. Life is about balance.
    Now that the dust is starting to settle, we have found that many of the challenges we came up against while documenting A Hike for Our Lives have been more fruitful than even we anticipated and we are really excited to share a very strong evidence package for any and all who are interested. What we really want is that anything we present is as thorough as possible as well as digestible as possible. We want to invite anyone to see the truth who wants to know more about the Hike for Our Lives mission that may not be well-versed in the trail geography or other "in" hiking or ultra running language.
    What we want you to know right now, tonight, since we know you are eager for more information, is that we absolutely hold ourselves accountable for truth! We even call each other out when something is up in our individual intuition because we are all humans! In this instance, the audience we are holding our truths accountable to is not just the FKT board. We are holding ourselves accountable to the many women and men who have come forward to share their stories with us, to our donors, and to the fellow hikers each of us met along our individual journeys. We feel personally responsible for sharing their enthusiasm for our mission as we aim to lift the veil of ignorance from our culture's eyes to the reality of rape culture and let the power of fitness and permaculture to heal PTSD really speak for itself through each of us. We hold ourselves accountable not only to our peers but to the children of the earth and our children's children who we want to be raised in a world of love, compassion, yoga, hiking, and locally sourced food!
    But hey - you are right, Kaiha was going for a record! Although unaware of many of the nuances and intricacies of what "going for it" really meant until well into the hike when it was brought to her attention (which is also clearly documented), Kaiha did her personal best every single day out there, and so did I on my own journey. At this time, we are pleased to announce that we are extremely confident that Kaiha walked every step of the Appalachian trail on her SoBo record attempt; that not carrying a GPS does not disqualify her from setting any FKT; that hitchhiking does not automatically disqualify her from setting the self-supported record; and that hitchhiking with Billie Beartrap was not only truthful but that it was a truth she was not trying to hide from the public.
    Another part of the facts that has come to light in this aftermath is that the hitchhike taken by Kaiha with Billie Beartrap did NOT originate in Swift Run Gap as he has suggested because we have hard evidence that Kaiha was already in the southern portion of Shenandoah National Park during the time frame this claim was made. Conversely, to us it is clear that there is a community of folks who is determined to undermine the validity of this hike and that there is a lot more doubt and hatred in the world to overcome than we had realized. Fortunately, we know how to stand up to bullies of all kinds, arm in arm.
    Due to our inability to respond directly to every single inquiry on every single public page and forum, we will release this hard evidence only when her entire package is complete in order to ensure that everyone who is interested can fully absorb the details of her hike at large before addressing her with any further questions. She will not be taking any interviews until her package is released. We look forward to sharing, and we thank you all who have demonstrated a responsible community social media ethic in your anxious anticipation of adjudication!
    In solidarity & empowerment, Jenny Meatballs

So she's doubling down, then.

I dont know if it is her writing style or what, but I have a very hard to comprehending what she is even trying to say.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

A.) Everyone wants the evidence so just post it or go away
    B.) You might not believe that data matters in an FKT, but the hiking community does, and the folks that hold the record that do have data to prove it deserve to see it as well.
    C.) Muddying the waters with "Hike for our Lives," "rape culture," "hatred," etc, might distract the public currently under the hypnosis of excess political correctness, but it doesn't fool the people who put in the work and know what it takes to hike the Appalachian Trail
    D.) Put the facts out there or go away, and take your farce with you

Another lengthy post. This one is backed up my "Possible" MEGA 2012 hiker:

Also, UPDATE* not UPATE

Who?????????

What is this?

A prominent person in the FKT community has advised that waiting to see the "evidence" is perhaps best.

Otherwise very easy to craft a story to work around any holes presented by the public to Kaiha's story. Until Kaiha and Jenny Meatballs (no, really) present the "package" they keep on discussing, lets keep speculation out for now.

The thread was closed until there is truly news to report. Once Kaiha presents the "package", we'll see what happens.

Thanks for understanding.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-04-2016 at 13:12.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

"They" need to read that jazz out loud before clicking send. That's a hot mess of sassafras if I've ever heard it, especiallly if "they" expect to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    What is this?
    This is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    A.) Everyone wants the evidence so just post it or go away
    B.) You might not believe that data matters in an FKT, but the hiking community does, and the folks that hold the record that do have data to prove it deserve to see it as well.
    C.) Muddying the waters with "Hike for our Lives," "rape culture," "hatred," etc, might distract the public currently under the hypnosis of excess political correctness, but it doesn't fool the people who put in the work and know what it takes to hike the Appalachian Trail
    D.) Put the facts out there or go away, and take your farce with you
    Wouldn't call this an update... Dude just said all the news there is to say. Rather than a trip report being released there have been some "press releases" but no actual news.

There have been several facebook posts or you can visit lets run if you'd like. http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_re...697188&page=13

I can verify Mags will post any real updates in the original thread if they ever appear- but guessing he'd not be too fond of this thread.

Otherwise... too bad about that post from the hostel owner... it will be a shame if this ends up hurting feelings in the community at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I can verify Mags will post any real updates in the original thread if they ever appear- but guessing he'd not be too fond of this thread.
    And Peter over at the FKT Proboards feels much the same way. Just look at the AT thread.

He also asked that people please hold off until there is actual news to report.

If we quit bringing it up, I suspect this mysterious "package" will never appear.

And this farce will go away.

And if the package is produced, well..we'll see what happens next.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-04-2016 at 13:22.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
++ New Posts ++