WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best UL Pack w/Bear Canister

I'm planning to fast-pack the JMT next summer. For me, a fast-pack of the JMT is a goal of seven days from Happy Isles to Mt. Whitney, which is obviously way slower than a lot of fast packers - around 30 miles per day. Up to this point, my Sierra Nevada hikes have tended to average high teens to low 20s. My pack base weight for the Sierra Nevada has been around 15 pounds with my ULA Circuit and Bearikade custom 12". Total pack weight has varied between low to high 20s depending on the amount of food I'm carrying. I've hiked the complete JMT southbound, nearly the entire JMT northbound, and one additional hike of the southern half of the JMT northbound so I'm familiar with the trail.

My anticipated pace will not require running, only sustained walking at a reasonable pace. My current pace is around 2-2.5 miles per hour and I'd like to bump that up to 2.5-3 miles per hour in order to hike mostly in daylight hours and not necessarily at the peak of summer when bugs are at their worst but probably in mid to late August. I plan to pick a time around the full moon if possible.

I plan to hike SOBO, if I can get the permit, to allow for a very light initial pack taking advantage of Tuolumne on Day 1, Red's on Day 2, and MTR either late on Day 3 or early on Day 4. This way, I also can acclimate more gradually than if I start northbound.

Right now my pack lineup is a ULA Circuit and a ULA CDT. I want to really pare down my kit for this hike. I am going to purchase a Bearikade Scout since I won't need the food capacity of the 12" custom Bearikade. Physically, the Scout would easily fit in the CDT.

At around 23 ounces, my CDT is pretty light and has enough volume for what I envision carrying. I hope to be down to a base weight of around 10-11 pounds with total pack weight at roughly 20 leaving MTR southbound.

I am willing to buy a new pack for this trip and know all about the zPacks ArcBlast - the 45L could be perfect in terms of volume - but I would only save a couple of ounces over the CDT.

Are there any other packs I should consider?

I might have questions on shelter as well but will start a new thread on that. Right now I have a Hexamid Twin but I am thinking about going with a bivy plus minimalist tarp, especially if I choose to hike in mid-late August when the bugs should be mostly gone.

Thanks.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I wouldn't buy a new pack if I knew a Scout can and the rest of my haul fit my ULA CDT. I also wouldn't take the ULA Circuit unless my gear was heavy or particularly voluminous for it's wt or if it compromised a comfortable ride in the CDT. Your 500 cubic in 28 oz 9'x8" Scout will fit the CDT because a 450 cubic in 33 oz 8.7 "X 8.3" BearVault BV 450 fits in my M/L torso size CDT. The wt savings which is a high priority is just too much to pass up between the about 41 coz Circuit and your 23 oz CDT, a savings of 18 oz. This is nothing to sneeze at on this fast pack trek of 7 days avg 30+ MPD and given your experience fast packing this avg MPD pace on this rugged trail at elevation. I think your Scout a good size choice given you don't pick it up until RM taking only 5 days food in it to get your to Whitney Portal. Other words just protect the food you're eating that day storing it in your pack without a bear can on Day 1 Tuolomne Meadows and Day 2 to RM. Day 3 is where I question things as the JMT distance, if I'm recalling correctly, between RM and MTR is something like 50 miles.

Personally if I was serious about doing a 7 day JMT SOBO I'd be going in early mid Sept with the cooler weather and easier to obtain JMT thru-hiking permit after Labor Day assuming I didn't have the permit yet. Since I'd be going lighter without the can and even though the elev ascent is significant I'd be hitting HI TH ready to rock and roll in shape to bang out the miles from the get go at 5 a.m. I wouldn't stop atTM doing a 26 mile day either. I'd push on night hiking getting in more miles that first day. The fastest I SOBOed the JMT was in late Sept without even that light a load was 9 days not thinking of it as a fastback. That's just what it turned out to be. That also, like you, was not my first JMT rodeo so knew ahead where I'd camp. I actually resupplied via VVR on that 9 day and took a nero. To save on time in the morn I bivied or cowboyed all but one night using a tarp that night.

And, even though the mid Sept days are shorter and nights cooler with increasing chance of snow that doesn't burn off quickly the deeper into Sept and especially Oct you go the JMT is known by you from previous hikes so some after sunset hiking probably isn't that big a risk for you with a good night hiking headlamp and a decent hat, gloves, and staying warm but cool enough to go.

Thanks Dogwood for the input. Probably what I should do first is order the Scout and see how it works out in the CDT. Although I'm willing to drop the money on a new pack if needed (like the Arc Blast), I should do some due diligence with what I have first - that makes sense. I wonder about shipping the canister to Red's in terms of running afoul of rangers in Yosemite who may not buy my high mileage plans and thing that I'm skirting around the bear canister regulations. And actually, I'd probably really need it after Tuolumne because as you suggest, I'd want to get at least toward the end of Lyell Canyon rather than stopping at TM. However, I could ship the canister to Tuolumne and carry just minimal food from HI - the minimal food would be proof to the rangers of my intent to reach TM that day, I think...

Please tell me what the advantages of an ZP Arc Blast have over what you currently have in the ULA CDT? If you're considering an Arc Blast for the 2 oz wt savings as a priority God bless you that you're willing to drop $325 to save about 2 ozs. I have a 55L Arc Blast. Love the pack. But I didn't drop the $370 do re mi(w/ hip belt pockets) on it to save wt which it doesn't for me since my CDT's are tricked out to 19.5 oz. The Arc Blast with the same stock features weighs more than a CDT on a pack to pack comparison . I have the Arc Blast for it's OTHER AWSOME characteristics. It's also not my go to pack. Are you considering carrying the can on the top of your pack as ZP offers the V step addition?

Day 1 HI TH to Tuolomne Meadows. It's a "day" hike. All food will always be with you as your pack will never leave your side i.e; day hiking snacks always within your arm's reach. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bearcans.htm Eat at the ™ cafe or buy some food at the store and make it there. You could hike on but… The cafe will give ya some hot water if you ask. Maybe no need yet to carry a stove yet. If you end your Day 1 at ™ ™ Backpacker's CG has a bear box. Store you Day's 2 food in it OR eat b'fast at teh cafe, buy that day's snacks at the store, and go to RM on a day hike. Day 2 to RM is another day hike. You can carry on you outside a can that day's food for a day hike - ALWAYS WITHIN ARM'S REACH!!! That gets you to RM without hauling a can. If anyone asks you're day hiking and protecting your food in a LOKSACK OPsack never letting that day's food leave your side. You may very well be asked about your ability to day hike 20- 30+ MPD. All this assumes you not only intend to do that but CAN DO THAT.

I also can't speak highly enough of my Arc [Haul] pack. It is MY go-to pack...I didn't like the Circuit as much as some other people.

I agree with the sentiment to use what you currently own vs dropping the money for the Arc Blast unless you were already planning to get one at some point soon.

Dogwood, it isn't the 2 ounce weight savings but the frame and load transfer of the Arc Blast that has me thinking about it. I think that I need to play with the CDT first with the canister and optimizing how I pack it and how I use my Neoair as a virtual frame. Good points on day hiking HI-->TM and TM-->Red's. I have to work out the mileage and elevation profiles. Thanks.

I agree with the others comments, I hiked across the Rockies last week for 5day/4nights with a bear vault inside my Arc Blast. Most ppl didn't believe I had a bear at all. It carried great and I had plenty room. I came home with a extra days meals (I'm bad about over packing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Dogwood, it isn't the 2 ounce weight savings but the frame and load transfer of the Arc Blast that has me thinking about it. I think that I need to play with the CDT first with the canister and optimizing how I pack it and how I use my Neoair as a virtual frame. Good points on day hiking HI-->TM and TM-->Red's. I have to work out the mileage and elevation profiles. Thanks.
    Ahh +1 I like Joe's current trampoline back design and wt transfer. Indeed, it's a little trickier with the CDT and virtual NeoAir frame.

As much as I love the idea of the Arc Blast, I loaded it up in the shopping cart and couldn't quite press "purchase" for the $370 configuration (w/options). d

I did a few tests with my CDT and my current 12" Bearikade. If I compress my sleeping bag into a stuff sack and put that horizontally at the bottom of my CDT, my 12" Bearikade fits on top and goes up to the point where the shoulder straps connect to the pack body. There's still room to have my NeoAir along the back panel and room to pack minimal soft items (mainly clothing) along the side of the canister. My tent fits on top of the canister, outside my compactor bag, and consumes essentially the entire extension collar. I plan to go without a stove.

After partially inflating my NeoAir and adding some ballast to get up to 18-20 pounds total pack weight, I didn't really feel the canister on my back given the NeoAir's cushioning and the pack really felt fine overall.

If I purchase the Scout, there would be more room in the pack given the 4 inch difference between the 8" scout and my custom 12". But $255 is a lot of money to spend on a new canister and the weight savings is only around 5 ounces - it would be more for volume savings.

You'll also save volume inside your pack/feel less loaded down/possibly offering a more comfortable haul because as you take food(food volume) from your bear can be cognizant of replacing the volume inside the hard sided bear can with something else in your kit so your perhaps maxed out/nearly maxed out backpack volume will only last a day or two from Tuolumne Meadows or Reds Meadow, wherever you decide to start carrying a can. I've seen JMT ultra fast packers and FKTers/attempters legally not carry a bear can at all because they are doing such high mileage every 24 hrs.

Getting a smaller canister primary for lower volume (as opposed to weight) savings has me thinking about the BV450 at 33 ounces vs the Bearikade Scout at 28 ounces. The Scout has a 500 cubic inch capacity while the BV has a 440 cubic inch capacity, with the BV450 available around $60 vs $255 for the Scout. My 12" Bearikade actually weighs about the same as the BV450 but of course is more bulky. I think that the 440 cubic inch capacity is probably OK given that I do plan on sending a resupply to MTR.

Images

If you are thinking of a Cuben Fiber pack, be aware that the sharp edge at the top of a Bearikade can wear on the inside fabric. Not a problem for the BV450 or Bareboxer Contender. I put tape around the top of my Weekender, but still have to be very careful how it sits in the pack.

I have the bv 450 with a zpacks 52l arc zip. Fits great, however I only bring the canister when I have too and pack my stove in it as volume allows. I have always liked the "arc" set up to keep me cooler (originally found on my old osprey pack). Ill admit that the 52 has plenty of room and I really like the roll top since I can just give it a few more folds and secure my load if needed or I allow my sleeping bag to be less compressed and have the pack at full height... the extended pack shades the back of my neck that my hat does not cover.

4 days of food with 3.5 season gear at 22lbs, we had twenty-three degree nights and plenty of ice.
    Attachment 37187
    Pack is unrolled on the top to shade my neck

++ New Posts ++