WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    Lots of cool answers everyone, thanks! Much laughs too .

My knife is mainly for eatling (I don't do freeze dried meals), medical, and the occasional need to make a fire stick. I do use it quite often.

I like the idea of running it over the dinnerware, never thought of that. Will give that a try.

As for the sharpener I do have, it's a benchmade pull through, definitely Good quality.
    For people who haven't heard of this before, it's not perfect but works well enough for quick sharpenings:

https://youtu.be/cFjaWnNg1kQ

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Oldie but a goodie

https://youtu.be/VKwpDJN5i20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    First of all, Huli, I admire the fact that you carry a knife on the trail .... it's what real men do. Oh, and real men also eat beef and pee on trees. Ignore the hoard of feminized, politically correct, hand-wringing, man-bun-wearing millennial males who shriek like 12-year old girls and run to their safe zones at the mere thought of anyone carrying a knife.

blah, blah, blah.....

As for me, I ALWAYS carry a good sharp knife and .... guess what? .... I always carry a concealed weapon. I constantly find uses for a knife, but have never needed (except for that one time in 1978) to draw my weapon, but both are there when the situation arises.
    Definitely sounds like compensation for something.... I'm guessing lack of, er, "size".

A sharp knife is much safer than a dull one, and more useful, but if it's a decent knife, one good sharpening should easily last a full thru hike. I carry a good sharp, 0.7 ounce knife for slicing food, etc. Again, what other uses does one have on the trail? cutting cord? a lighter works better, since you'd be sealing the ends with a lighter anyway, why not just "cut" using the lighter right off? Does anyone carry cords thick enough to need a knife?

I do carry a much more substantial blade when technical climbing, of course.

I see posts all the time saying "I use a knife often", but they never say what exactly for. I really am curious. I guess making the good old "fuzz sticks" (fire starters) is one use (I carry a trioxane fire starter block, works every time). And whittling, which is kind of fun sometimes.

I apply the dinnerware trick routinely on our kitchen knifes.
    Although I've never had the need to sharpen my pocket knife during a hike, I would have liked to have a sharpener handy sometimes for to do a knife service to the local natives in the desert. They are just too careless about their knifes.

I carry the $2 Coleman knife from Walmart while hiking because I do sometimes use a knife while hiking, it is extremely light and sufficiently sharp.

The cord I use is Technora 950. About half the size of para cord, almost twice the strength - it doesn't burn with a lighter. I'm not sure it would even cut through itself using the friction method because it's teflon coated. Very cool stuff - so yes, I need a knife to cut it. Last time out, I cut several pieces of it to make pack hangers in a couple shelters that were crowded and didn't have enough places to hang packs.
    Also have had trouble opening some food packages with cold, dry fingers - so I have used the knife for that as well.

Back to topic, I do not carry a sharpener. I carry enough unnecessary stuff - I don't see a need for a sharpener.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I carry the $2 Coleman knife from Walmart while hiking because I do sometimes use a knife while hiking, it is extremely light and sufficiently sharp.

The cord I use is Technora 950. About half the size of para cord, almost twice the strength - it doesn't burn with a lighter. I'm not sure it would even cut through itself using the friction method because it's teflon coated. Very cool stuff - so yes, I need a knife to cut it. Last time out, I cut several pieces of it to make pack hangers in a couple shelters that were crowded and didn't have enough places to hang packs.
    Also have had trouble opening some food packages with cold, dry fingers - so I have used the knife for that as well.

Back to topic, I do not carry a sharpener. I carry enough unnecessary stuff - I don't see a need for a sharpener.
    Part of my point below: IMHO, all one needs on a trail is a very light little blade for cutting the more substantial cords like yours, and slicing food, and you do carry this kind of knife, apparently. I'm not promoting no knife, just the lack of need for big/huge knives, like so many on here talk about carrying. Are they skinning animals or fish? then sure, a bigger knife is needed.

Playing mumbley-peg? Here's a link to how REALLY to be a man:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/06/07/mumbley-peg/

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    For people who haven't heard of this before, it's not perfect but works well enough for quick sharpenings:

I shared this video with a friend and he said you can also do this on the top edge of a car window.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I'm not promoting no knife, just the lack of need for big/huge knives, like so many on here talk about carrying. Are they skinning animals or fish? then sure, a bigger knife is needed.
    I agree with your main message. Even a pocket knife like the one I showed earlier is plenty capable of cleaning fish (trout, panfish, frogs, etc) and dressing small game (squirrels, rabbits, etc). I have used mine as such many times.

DMT Diamond DiaSharp Portable credit card sharpener. I use the fine grit for maintenance.

https://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/...els/dia-sharp/

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I shared this video with a friend and he said you can also do this on the top edge of a car window.
    I have heard that as well, but I'm not sure I'm willing to try it on my own car.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

I do this all the time when we visit my in-laws and I have to cut something with her dull-as-hell knives. Works great for a quick clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    I do this all the time when we visit my in-laws and I have to cut something with her dull-as-hell knives. Works great for a quick clean up.
    I like it!
    I like it even more because it is yet another excuse to sit and have coffee in town!

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    First of all, Huli, I admire the fact that you carry a knife on the trail .... it's what real men do. Oh, and real men also eat beef and pee on trees. Ignore the hoard of feminized, politically correct, hand-wringing, man-bun-wearing millennial males who shriek like 12-year old girls and run to their safe zones at the mere thought of anyone carrying a knife. When you need a good sharp blade, nothing else will do, even if you use it only once or twice (or none at all). Therefore, if I were you, I'd grab a Smith's Pocket Pal PP1 knife sharpener (which weighs next to nothing) and toss it in a pocket somewhere, and forget about it until such time as you need it.

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Po.../dp/B000O8OTNC

As for me, I ALWAYS carry a good sharp knife and .... guess what? .... I always carry a concealed weapon. I constantly find uses for a knife, but have never needed (except for that one time in 1978) to draw my weapon, but both are there when the situation arises.

Kid's scissors?! I don't even know what to say about that. I guess you never know when you want to make something out of construction paper.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    My favorite post of all time!

Images

i don't carry a knife. no need for sharpen. i carry a razor blade.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    A nice flat river rock can be used if really in a bind for a sharpener.
    +1 If you feel the surface of most river rock it's very similar to that of a whetstone, and when you're done the stone can go back in the river. I carry a Gerber LST which can be sharpened fairly quickly with just such a rock.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i don't carry a knife. no need for sharpen. i carry a razor blade.
    What the hell, two razor blades for me. The thread is about sharpening, and what easier way to sharpen than to pull out a new blade?

I missed this thread when it opened because I was up in Canada hiking. That's relevant because on my return flight I was able to carry my pack on board, since I threw away my (unused) "nickle knife" at the airport. Saved $25 and some time not checking the bag.

I think it's interesting how each person thinks differently what a "knife" is. I posted this originally because I carry a small Swiss army knife and use it for all things from eating to grooming to first aid. I was looking to maintain the integrity of its uses as best as possible. This is my bad ass knife:

I am a hunter so I need a knife.
    You guys should check out the outdoor edge razor pro or their other replaceable blade knives.
    Always have a sharp blade, and the replacements weigh nothing.
    https://www.outdooredge.com/products...nt=16399691715

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++