WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Knife sharpener?

I was looking through my gear and realized I have a knife sharpener. It's quite small, 35 grams. Thought about not taking it, but then, what do you all do to keep your cutting tool of choice sharp?

Assuming you are backpacking, how often do you use your knife when you're backpacking? I would think it wouldn't be an issue.

I sharpen my knives maybe once a year, but I'm not hard on them. I can't imagine having a need for a knife sharpener on a short trip, unless you baton or whittle a lot of wood. I've only actually used my knife on one trip, the rest of the time it sits in my hip belt pocket...but a knife is one thing I'd rather have and not need and still carry every time even if it doesn't get used...same with a compass, at least where I hike.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

On a lightweight backpacking trip? I've never used my knives hard enough to dull them under these circumstances.

I do carry a multi-sharpening tool when I am base camping or car camping because then I'm cooking, whittling, cutting firewood, etc. But these are not activities I usually do when I am hiking light and fast.

If I really needed to sharpen a knive in a pinch, I would just wait until I was in town and the give it a few passes on the bottom of a cerramic plate or coffee mug.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 09-16-2016 at 12:36.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I used the knife portion of my leatherman style CS once in 60 days on the trail. To open a big can of V8... yes, it was the wrong tool for the job, but it worked. When I get back on the trail, I'm just taking a pair of quality kids scissors.

First of all, Huli, I admire the fact that you carry a knife on the trail .... it's what real men do. Oh, and real men also eat beef and pee on trees. Ignore the hoard of feminized, politically correct, hand-wringing, man-bun-wearing millennial males who shriek like 12-year old girls and run to their safe zones at the mere thought of anyone carrying a knife. When you need a good sharp blade, nothing else will do, even if you use it only once or twice (or none at all). Therefore, if I were you, I'd grab a Smith's Pocket Pal PP1 knife sharpener (which weighs next to nothing) and toss it in a pocket somewhere, and forget about it until such time as you need it.

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Po.../dp/B000O8OTNC

As for me, I ALWAYS carry a good sharp knife and .... guess what? .... I always carry a concealed weapon. I constantly find uses for a knife, but have never needed (except for that one time in 1978) to draw my weapon, but both are there when the situation arises.

Kid's scissors?! I don't even know what to say about that. I guess you never know when you want to make something out of construction paper.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    First of all, Huli, I admire the fact that you carry a knife on the trail .... it's what real men do. Oh, and real men also eat beef and pee on trees. Ignore the hoard of feminized, politically correct, hand-wringing, man-bun-wearing millennial males who shriek like 12-year old girls and run to their safe zones at the mere thought of anyone carrying a knife. When you need a good sharp blade, nothing else will do, even if you use it only once or twice (or none at all). Therefore, if I were you, I'd grab a Smith's Pocket Pal PP1 knife sharpener (which weighs next to nothing) and toss it in a pocket somewhere, and forget about it until such time as you need it.

As for me, I ALWAYS carry a good sharp knife and .... guess what? .... I always carry a concealed weapon. I constantly find uses for a knife, but have never needed (except for that one time in 1978) to draw my weapon, but both are there when the situation arises.

Kid's scissors?! I don't even know what to say about that. I guess you never know when you want to make something out of construction paper.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Did you fight many bears on the trail? Sharpen a lot of tent stakes? Rescue a lot of damsels in distress? Cower behind your shiny knife when you heard scary noises on the trail?

As I think about it, I used my knife a few times to slice summer sausage and cheese. I ended up buying a lot of pre-sliced pepperoni, since it was available everywhere, was that unmanly of me? Since I'm super concerned about how manly you think I am, I can just gnaw off portions with my teeth.

A knife is like any other tool, there's zero manliness involved in using the right tool for the job. Do you also have opinions on the comparative manliness of what socks I wear? Know what's manly? Making my own equipment decisions based on utility, and not on any of your misogynistic politicized ramblings.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Did you fight many bears on the trail? Sharpen a lot of tent stakes? Rescue a lot of damsels in distress? Cower behind your shiny knife when you heard scary noises on the trail?

As I think about it, I used my knife a few times to slice summer sausage and cheese. I ended up buying a lot of pre-sliced pepperoni, since it was available everywhere, was that unmanly of me? Since I'm super concerned about how manly you think I am, I can just gnaw off portions with my teeth.

A knife is like any other tool, there's zero manliness involved in using the right tool for the job. Do you also have opinions on the comparative manliness of what socks I wear? Know what's manly? Making my own equipment decisions based on utility, and not on any of your misogynistic politicized ramblings.
    This forum really needs a "thanks" button.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I have a Smiths Pocket Sharpener, but it doesn't match the set of the blade on either my full-sized Leatherman or my Leatherman Squirt, which are the only two knives I ever carry on a hike. (I'll bring something bigger when car camping, but then I can bring an oilstone as well.)

I find that when backpacking, I don't cut anything but the cheese. The Leatherman comes in handy because the pliers can grip hot things, the tiny screwdriver can repair my spectacles, and the scissors can cut gauze, or dental floss if I wind up needing to sew something, or even fingernails. I always bring at least the Squirt because my cookpot has no handle.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Do you ever look around and realize you got off the train at the wrong stop? This is the ultra light hikers forum.

I used to carry a leatherman tool until I realized that its a rare day on the trail when I will need a pair of pliers or a screwdriver. I really don't use a knife all that much aside from cutting something I'm eating or occasionally some paracord. Your blade won't need sharpening that often. When it does, ask a hostel employee or owner if they happen to have a sharpener you can borrow. If not, buy one at a Walmart for $5 and then toss it in the hiker box when you leave.

Oh, and by the way, the pliers on my leatherman recently started jamming up and I mailed it back to them...in less than a week they had sent me a brand new tool. 25 year warranty, and they honor it no questions asked.

Images

I rarely use the blade on my tiny SAK. The little sissors, all the time. So zero need for sharpener, ounces add up.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I'm glad I'm not manly enough to need a gun just to go hiking...

On a long hike I go to a manly, preferably a fat Polish or German butcher, and have them sharpen my Swiss Army Knife, a pitiful little knife. They are usually the best at it and have never taken a dime from me for doing it. I don't ever say I'm a vegetarian not having eaten red meat in 25 yrs although I might say the veal chops look good. I've also gone to Barbershops, preferably with a manly but old skinny Navy or Army barber, with a picture of the ship or tank battalion they served on the wall with a sign saying haircuts $10 and that offer straight razor shaves. You're not a man if you haven't ever gotten a straight razor shave.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I'm glad I'm not manly enough to need a gun just to go hiking...
    I often carry one, just not backpacking...too much weight. Oh, and I'm not a man!!! Lol

A nice flat river rock can be used if really in a bind for a sharpener.

Images

I have a Lansky mini crock stick sharpener. It does a good job and weighs 0.8 oz. I always carry around a Schrade 12OT pen knife (whether hiking or not). Not sure the weight on that, but it is not much. You can do a lot with it if you keep it sharp. I use it almost every day for something.

If you are looking for a Schrade, get on ebay and get an old made in USA carbon steel one (says so on the blade). They are much better than the ones made overseas.

12OTappleslicer_zps2d54e6c4.jpg LSLCKEY.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    I was looking through my gear and realized I have a knife sharpener. It's quite small, 35 grams. Thought about not taking it, but then, what do you all do to keep your cutting tool of choice sharp?
    I would bet that 15min searching your campsite would find a better sharpener (rock) than your little one.

Lots of cool answers everyone, thanks! Much laughs too 😜.

My knife is mainly for eatling (I don't do freeze dried meals), medical, and the occasional need to make a fire stick. I do use it quite often.

I like the idea of running it over the dinnerware, never thought of that. Will give that a try.

As for the sharpener I do have, it's a benchmade pull through, definitely Good quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++