WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First Time Section Hiker

Back in August I asked for advice for a section hike my husband and I were planning. Thank you to everybody who gave advise.

We ended up hiking about 27 miles from Wayah Bald Tower to the NOC in 3 days and 2 nights. Overall, we had a great time. We learned very quickly, our packs were too heavy and we will not be packing a lot of unnecessary stuff on our next section hike.

We met a lot of people on the trail. We even met White Buffalo, he is a SOBO through hiker and should either be finished by now or will be finished very soon.

I didn't like staying in the shelters. We stayed in Cold Spring Shelter our first night with White Buffalo. One of my biggest fears in life are rats and mice. I have heard that they are in shelters and I was afraid to go to sleep that night for fear one would nibble on my ear or try to get in my sleeping bag (don't laugh at me, LOL). My husband snores really loud, and that night I believe his snoring kept the mice away. But it kept me up and the bats must have enjoyed his snoring because they were flying around the shelter all night. The next night we stayed in our tent and I had the best sleep of my life.

The last 5 miles of the hike was pretty rough. It's all down the mountain! My knees felt like someone was hitting them with a baseball bat, and I'm pretty 2 of my toenails are coming off. With the pain in my knees and toes, I still enjoyed my time on the AT. I never felt better about myself. I like to say it was a "holistic" challenge. Physical, mental, emotional and spiritual challenge. It was really hard at times, but if it were easy, everybody could do it. Can't wait to get back on the trail.

Journal Entries

Too much weight? Sore knees? Toenails beat up? Loud snoring? Shelter mice?
    Sounds like you've been initiated! Welcome to our world! Just wait till you see some more of the trail. There are many rewards along the way, places where your language is reduced to mostly vowels, oh, oooooo, aaaaah, wow!

If you don't have them yet, please go get a pair of trekking poles. They don't make the mountains any less steep, but they significantly reduce the load on your knees, and the impact on your toes. They help with tricky footing, stream crossing, and finding solid ground in the mud holes. If you already have 'em, just ignore me.

Crossed paths with White Buffalo and Six Legs while getting water at Gooch Mtn Shelter on Thurs. They were both finishing their thru hikes that day.

Glad to hear you can't wait to get back out on the trail. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing that report. Every outing is an adventure and learning experience. I'll second the recommendation for hiking poles.

Shelter or tent -- your call. Some shelters are nasty, some are nice. If I have the time and there's a decent place to set it up, and the weather's agreeable, I usually prefer my tent. OTOH when the weather's evil, a shelter is welcome, especially with good company. I've hiked a lot off-season where I had shelters to myself night after night, with no mouse issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Too much weight? Sore knees? Toenails beat up? Loud snoring? Shelter mice?
    Sounds like you've been initiated! Welcome to our world! Just wait till you see some more of the trail. There are many rewards along the way, places where your language is reduced to mostly vowels, oh, oooooo, aaaaah, wow!

If you don't have them yet, please go get a pair of trekking poles. They don't make the mountains any less steep, but they significantly reduce the load on your knees, and the impact on your toes. They help with tricky footing, stream crossing, and finding solid ground in the mud holes. If you already have 'em, just ignore me.

I actually have trekking poles and I can't count the number of times they saved me from falling. Trekking poles are great.
    Every day may not be good, but there is good in every day!

Thanks for "reporting in." We always like to know that the trip was good (or bad), and that it was a learning experience, and that you enjoyed it and would do it again. The poles do help, and I am always grateful when they save me from a face plant. As to the shelters. . . I can't think how bad off I'd have to be to stay in one. I always take my tent, and love sleeping in it. I was "sold" the first night out when an owl perched right over the tent and "hooted" a beautiful song looking for his/her mate. The other advantage to a tent is being able to put it up whenever you get to a "stopping place" - whether or not it's at a shelter. Sometimes I simply can't go further, and so I just look for a flat spot.

Sorry about your toenails. . . I've lost some too. Part of it, I think, although I've heard that you might have shoes that are too short if that happens. Also - it helps to cut your toenails right before you hike, as they are less likely to push against the toe of the shoe. The good news is that they usually come back looking better than the old ones.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I can tell you that Cold Spring shelter is one of the originals on the trail, hence it is very old and particularly nasty. I battled mice all night there.

Welcome to our world!

Journal Entries

Cold spring was "renovated" ~3 yrs ago I think
    Its still a particularly nasty little shelter.
    Practically in middle of trail, with water source creating a muddy area in front of it, and sleeping platform low to ground. Ridiculous 2 person table was added a couple yrs ago too.

Theres great tenting areas just north, and also above, the shelter.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-18-2016 at 21:56.

Images

I have a number of detailed spreadsheets including gear (ul/ltwt/3-season), food, nutrition. Send pm with email and I will forward if interested. My pkwt #13-16.

Journal Entries

Issues with your toes can be addressed by being properly fitted for your choice of foot wear and most importantly how you tie your laces. Dealing with a good outfitter to give you pointers would be very helpful .

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Jo View Post
    Back in August I asked for advice for a section hike my husband and I were planning. Thank you to everybody who gave advise.

We ended up hiking about 27 miles from Wayah Bald Tower to the NOC in 3 days and 2 nights. Overall, we had a great time. We learned very quickly, our packs were too heavy and we will not be packing a lot of unnecessary stuff on our next section hike.

We met a lot of people on the trail. We even met White Buffalo, he is a SOBO through hiker and should either be finished by now or will be finished very soon.

I didn't like staying in the shelters. We stayed in Cold Spring Shelter our first night with White Buffalo. One of my biggest fears in life are rats and mice. I have heard that they are in shelters and I was afraid to go to sleep that night for fear one would nibble on my ear or try to get in my sleeping bag (don't laugh at me, LOL). My husband snores really loud, and that night I believe his snoring kept the mice away. But it kept me up and the bats must have enjoyed his snoring because they were flying around the shelter all night. The next night we stayed in our tent and I had the best sleep of my life.

The last 5 miles of the hike was pretty rough. It's all down the mountain! My knees felt like someone was hitting them with a baseball bat, and I'm pretty 2 of my toenails are coming off. With the pain in my knees and toes, I still enjoyed my time on the AT. I never felt better about myself. I like to say it was a "holistic" challenge. Physical, mental, emotional and spiritual challenge. It was really hard at times, but if it were easy, everybody could do it. Can't wait to get back on the trail.
    Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hiking gets in your blood. I did a weeklong section several years ago and I've done three more since then, and have a bucket list of a half-dozen or so additional. Like you, I dislike shelters and usually find my own flat spots to pitch my tent, unless rain is imminent. I'm not afraid of mice, but nobody wants them skittering around their head at night. And as far as toenails go, not a big deal. I'm a marathon runner as well as hiker, and many of my nails are yellowed. It's part of the territory.

See you on the trail!

Also, allow me to suggest a good hiking stick instead of trekking poles. Poles are fashionable these days, and I'm sure they provide great stability, but there's nothing like a good hunk of wood in your hand. Also, with one free hand you'll be able to grasp branches on those steep downhills, as well as better brace yourself in the event you slip and fall. I'm usually able to find and fashion a good walking stick within about 10 minutes of starting my hike. I even assign names to my sticks, as they're wonderful companions (much more "warm and friendly" than cold, mass-assembled trekking poles).

Just a suggestion from an old-school eccentric! (And I may start a new thread on this very subject!)

Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by terryg49 View Post
    Issues with your toes can be addressed by being properly fitted for your choice of foot wear and most importantly how you tie your laces. Dealing with a good outfitter to give you pointers would be very helpful .
    I went online and saw a few articles about lacing boots properly. I'm definitely going to get some new hiking shoes. REI has been really good with tips and fitting me with my backpack. I''ll try them

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    We hiked some other trails along the way and backtracked a little bit. I had a pedometer and so did my husband.

Good for you! I agree that the shelters can be nasty, but i prefer just carrying a tarp for emergencies only. Saving the weight helps the knees and toes! I also found having shoes big enough solved the toe issues, and tying the laces using a heel lock lacing helped especially on the down hills. I have stopped wearing boots and now use trail runners. The difference in energy at the end of the day is amazing, and many foot problems have vanished!
    I also am a section hiker, and just finished the Smokies with 3 other ladies in 6 days. We range in age from 58 - 70...

I recently bought some new hiking boots, 1/2 size larger. We went hiking after that and I'm not really pleased with the little bit of traction they have. I like walking through water, so waterproof is a must for me. But they don't grip on rocks after that. My other boots do really good, but they are too little.
    I went to REI and they taught me how to lace so my heel locks in really good. I thought about trail runners, but I turn my ankle because of pronating my arches. I don't know how well trail runners would be.

I was worried about the ankles turning. So far it has not been a problem. I've found that I can regain my balance much more quickly with the trail runners so i can unweight the turned foot more quickly. Less fatigue helps also. When the trail runners get wet, they dry really quickly too. The grip on rocks is much better than with the boots. I probably would still use my boots in the Grand Canyon, but I am totally a trail runner convert for the AT.

++ New Posts ++