WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Down Vest Opinions

Hello all,

As the shoulder season approaches I remind myself that I never purchased a down vest for this coming fall/winter. I run warm/hot so I take that into consideration, I have a Rab synthetic vest that I like but need the warmth for when I am not moving. I am down to between the:

A) Montbell Alpine Light vest for $108,800 fill, http://www.montbell.us/products/disp..._cd=1&fo_flg=1

B) Feathered Friends Hyperion Vest for $189,850 fill, http://featheredfriends.com/hyperion-down-vest.html (this makes me go "ohh" as I have never had 850 fill)

C) Pataguchi Down Sweater Vest for $180, 800 fill, http://www.patagonia.com/product/men...-vests#start=1

Having looked for reviews it appears that the Pataguchi does not loft as well as my other two options which has me leaning towards them.

Any help and opinions is appreciated
    ~Boots

I just struggle with the idea of paying over $100 for a Down Vest. I waited and kept my eye out for an 850 fill down Jacket with sleeves. Finally, found one on sale for $108. If it were me, I would kept searching for a vest below that $100 mark. One reason for my thinking is the fact that these are used around fires and can get all sorts of ash on them. Paying and Risking $150 on a piece of equiptment is not something I personally can wrap my mind around; especially for a shoulder season item. But that is just me. I also get double duty from my Flight Jacket Quilt that suppliments the down jacket, at a distance from any fire. If it were me, I would try and get that Montbell Alpine Light Vest, but on sale. A vest does seem like it would meet your warm/hot body temp.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I got a used Land's End down vest off Ebay for $25 delivered and it rocks.

Take a look at Ebay first before you pay $100+ for a vest.

Just my worthless two cents.

Carl

Have you considered warmth is also a factor of how and what you layer with your RAB synthetic vest? For example you could 1) change up or add a shell into the layering mix 2) change up or add base or mid layers into the layering mix 3) add warming accessories into the warmth equation when needed such as gloves/mittens, beanies, balaclavas, socks, etc of varying characteristics

Great point Dogwood! Covering a head/hands/feet on a warm/hot body inside the RAb is akin to closing the window on a winter shack with a wood burning stove inside. It really holds the heat in that is already there to warm the body and maintain the core temp.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Down vests have really gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Down vests have really gone up.
    i caught that, perhaps I should sell a couple I have and retire to a warm island.

Images

A) Montbell Alpine Light vest for $108,800

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    I just struggle with the idea of paying over $100 for a Down Vest.
    I started out thinking it was $108,800. After that, a hundred bucks seems pretty good!

If it was me, I'd get the vest with the most down inside it. The Patagonia is a non-starter as they don't list the actual weight of the down inside their product.

The Montbell has only 2.8 ozs of down inside. The FF Hyperion has 3.1 ozs, better. Knowing how much I like to go out in the fall/winter, I would get the Feathered Friends Helios with 4.8 ozs of down. Perfect.

Images

Not to hijack the thread, but while we are on the subject... Do the Montbell jackets run true to size, or is there anything a buyer should know about the fit of their jackets?

Images

For ladies they run small.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    For ladies they run small.
    Thanks for the feedback!

I should have specified that I am interested in the men's cut jacket. Women's jackets rarely fit my arm length and the shoulders tend to be too restrictive for much movement. I've found the men's jackets (in general) to be a bit better fit and they allow me room to slip in a layer if necessary.

After decades of trial and error, I made a hard and fast rule. Down vest: Don't leave home without one.
    I own two.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

[QUOTE=Water Rat;2095218]Thanks for the feedback!

I should have specified that I am interested in the men's cut jacket. Women's jackets rarely fit my arm length and the shoulders tend to be too restrictive for much movement. I've found the men's jackets (in general) to be a bit better fit and they allow me room to slip in a layer if necessary.[/

Men, True to size to maybe a little smaller. I actually like that combo because I want more form fitting to hold in heat or to sleep in. Most Regular Wear jackets and shirts I am a L to XL. But hiking shirts and my Montbell UL Down Jacket are Large and fit perfect; yet, most would refer to this as an athletic or form fitted clothing.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Images

[QUOTE=gbolt;2095245]
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

I should have specified that I am interested in the men's cut jacket. Women's jackets rarely fit my arm length and the shoulders tend to be too restrictive for much movement. I've found the men's jackets (in general) to be a bit better fit and they allow me room to slip in a layer if necessary.[/

Men, True to size to maybe a little smaller. I actually like that combo because I want more form fitting to hold in heat or to sleep in. Most Regular Wear jackets and shirts I am a L to XL. But hiking shirts and my Montbell UL Down Jacket are Large and fit perfect; yet, most would refer to this as an athletic or form fitted clothing.
    Thanks! That definitely helps me to know what size would fit me best.

Costco has their down vests at most stores right now. They are relatively cheap but also relatively warm (a lot less warm than the FF or MB would be). I would check them out of you just need a little bit of warmth to supplement your other layers.

I own two XL MB jackets (Exlight and Alpine light) and find they both fit true to size.

I'm selling a Montbell U/L Down Vest....and two U/L Thermawrap vests

here on WB

all size LARGE

++ New Posts ++