WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hikers missing the real world

Imagine the shock coming off the trail only to find out that Brad and Angelina are breaking up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have to go back to the trail just to deal with this news!

Journal Entries
    Images

If Brangelina had hiked more often, it'd prolly still be together.

In 2012 the only real world news anyone felt compelled to tell me while I was hiking was that one of the Beastie Boys had died and there was a shooting in a Colorado movie theatre.

Anything short of a death in the family, the assignation of the president, or thermo-nuclear war is TMI if I'm on the trail.

I haven't been this distraught since the Doobie Brothers broke up.

I guess this means Brads available...he's dreamy!

I could barely choke down my pizza I was so upset with this news.

The trail provides....

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Remember getting the news that Bin Laden had been killed. We were up on the ridge just south of Daleville when one of our group got a cell signal and called home.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Back in 2001 we met a couple of hikers who were on the trail down September 11th, they didn't know about it until a couple of weekenders told them.

several thru hikers told me last week in VA they are doing the hike to escape the news....and this year's Presidential election

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    In the mid 2000's as I was huffing, puffing, and methodically creeping up to Forester Pass on the JMT two men one in a full scruffy beard one with newer high end expensive gear came up behind me talking about eco touring in rather some outlandish IMO expensive off the beaten track hoity toity locations. One of the voices sounded strangely familiar. They politely passed still talking and saying thank you while nodding. I said to the scruffy bearded guy "do I know you, you sound and look familiar?' He was also as tall as me at 6'4". He didn't say a word as his hiking partner had that sly look of knowing something I didn't but was mum. When I met them atop the pass I said to the scruffy bearded one, "you remind me of Ben Affleck, you could be his double." He smiled and both men laughed. Scruffy bearded one said, "well, that's good because I hear he's a dreamboat." Then we all laughed as that was JLo's pet name for him. They had already parted ways though. It was Ben Affleck incognito doing a JMT hike. We all respected each other's hike and pursuit of solitude and Nature as Ben asked.

hold on, the Doobies broke up?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    In the mid 2000's as I was huffing, puffing, and methodically creeping up to Forester Pass on the JMT two men one in a full scruffy beard one with newer high end expensive gear came up behind me talking about eco touring in rather some outlandish IMO expensive off the beaten track hoity toity locations. One of the voices sounded strangely familiar. They politely passed still talking and saying thank you while nodding. I said to the scruffy bearded guy "do I know you, you sound and look familiar?' He was also as tall as me at 6'4". He didn't say a word as his hiking partner had that sly look of knowing something I didn't but was mum. When I met them atop the pass I said to the scruffy bearded one, "you remind me of Ben Affleck, you could be his double." He smiled and both men laughed. Scruffy bearded one said, "well, that's good because I hear he's a dreamboat." Then we all laughed as that was JLo's pet name for him. They had already parted ways though. It was Ben Affleck incognito doing a JMT hike. We all respected each other's hike and pursuit of solitude and Nature as Ben asked.
    awe man, I'd have blown him...his cover that is. ARGhO

Quote Originally Posted by eabyrd1506 View Post
    hold on, the Doobies broke up?
    i know, it just ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'll arm wrestle you for him!
    For me the strangest stuff was the emerging political candidates. Still strange, now that I think about it.

Even though I already live off grid, I like to completely unplug several times a year. When I go on vacation, I don't check email or facebook or use my cell phone. I find it very liberating to cut the umbilical cord and not know or care what the rest of the world is doing. Most of the time I come back and don't notice that I missed anything.

Used to be able do that on Hatteras Island but then word got out and now I wouldn't go within 100 miles of the place. I remember growing up there we would go over the dunes and you could look left then right and not see another person. Back the truck in and spend the day with nobody stopping buy but a ranger.

Now it's just another over-run place for yankees to get stuck in the sand and pull up the sea oats.

I think it's the non-hikers missing the real world.
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++