WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water supply in New Jersey and New York

Does anyone have a recent update on water supply on the trail in New Jersey and New York? Going next week. Thanks..

This question was asked in a FB group and it was confirmed by a local trail angel that it is dry as a bone from DWG to High Point State park. You could get water at Gyp's tavern at Culver Gap. The rest of Jersey is not fairing any better but you'll find water at the town crossings.

Can't tell you about NY but when I went through in June it was already getting dry. I was getting water at town crossings.

I did DWG to NJ 517, near Vernon last week and it was extremely dry. Water was available at Mohican Outdoor Center, Carvers Gap and the Ranger Station at NJ 23. Probably also in Unionville, but I didn't check other sources.

Going thru Harriman SP, the only reliable water is at the lakes and in major streams such as Stony Brook. There MIGHT be some available at the creek where the AT crosses Beechy Bottom (N 41.2812, W 74.0254 just east of the Palisades Parkway). That is usually the last one to dry up. However, best to tank up at Lake Tiorati and hope there is some water in the vending machines atop Bear Mt.

We had a couple of days of rain recently but it was so dry that the ground sucked it right up and there was only a momentary trickle, at most, in the side streams.

Do you happen to know if they shut off the water spigot at Tiorati at some point in the year?

I don't know, but you can call (845) 429-8257 to find out.

I was at the lake last weekend. Water still flowing at the campsite .40 mile off the blue blaze from fingerboard shelter.

Thank you for the phone number. I did a call and was informed that the spigot remains available until significant freezing temperatures hit sometime in December.

Any recent significant rain up there since 10/1?
    "Sea Eagle"

None! We had some big systems move through in the wake of TS Matthew but got barely a few sprinkles. I did the Timp-West Mtn loop yesterday and it was still as dry as when I was there about 2 weeks ago.

Wow-sorry to hear that but thanks for the info.
    "Sea Eagle"

++ New Posts ++