WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

wingfoot has a long history of being an oppourtunist.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by drsukie
    Folks - why the angst towards Wingfoot and his book? How old are you - not chronolologically, but mentally? Jesus.

Give it up -- such unattractive vindictiveness is amazing and totally unnecessary. If you don't like someone or what they do -- why do you think others give a rat's ass? Live your own life - buy your own book - hike your own hike. Quit with the negativity.

Treat others as you want to be treated. Jealousy or pettiness is so unattractive and an energy vampire. Sue
    My sentiments exactly.

Ordered Wingfoots guide today.
    Wouldn't do the trail without it.

Has there been some sort of falling out between Wingfoot and the community?

Have ALDHA's Companion. Good, But I hate spiral binding (evil) and "long" format.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    Self authored self praise.
    Here we freakin' go again. I think I'm just gonna change my name to Dan Doyle!

Last edited by attroll; 01-12-2006 at 13:52.
    Just hike.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    Self authored self praise.
    Actually, he credits those that help with the info, same as the Companion. I'm in the '98 edition!

The way I look at it, ALDHA and the ATC should be making the best guide available. If they have to make a book that mirrors WF's current format, so be it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    wingfoot has a long history of being an oppourtunist.
    Well, if it was opportunities for personal profit, he's been totally in effective, based on my observations.

He has seized many opportunities for helping the trail and the trail community with some success. I can think of only one chance to improve the trail that he has missed. He never actively got behind our Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

All those who want to prove how wrong Wingfoot can be are welcome to send us donations. We've bought one mountain and the slopes of a second. Think what we could do with $11 million for instance. I heard this week that 24,000 acres surrounding the high peaks where the wind turbines are planned is available for that price.

Just open www.matlt.org

Weary

Images

in 2000, wingfoot kept my money and never sent my book, due to delay's at the printer. i never got my book or my money after repeated attempts during and aflter my hike. eventually i was called a liar and told that i etiher didn't order a book or i was given my money back, due to the fact that it had all been taken care of. i've got a memory like a fu***n' elephant, and i ain't no liar. same thing happened to S.T.R. in 2000 as well. that was 6 years ago so maybe things have changed, bud i'd lay my money on the companion.

Gypsy got her Handbook in November of 2000 after she was done hiking for the year.

Seeking the light that unites us all... Tudor's Avatar
    Images

I can totally understand the need to explain the character behind each publisher of the 2 different types of thru-hiking books discussed here. I thank everyone, on both sides of the fence and those in the middle, for their time spent posting and for the readily available information.

Now, I don't want this thread to get out of control and have it turn into a who's-who. That accomplishes nothing but negative things in the long run. I, and anyone else who might have wanted to know the answer to my question, now have 2 possible avenues to look to for a hiking companion/databook, and the links needed to order which we choose.

With that said, could the moderator's lock this thread, as it has already served it's original purpose? Thanks!
    "Off the beaten path I reign!
    Roamer, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, call me what you will..."
    -Metallica

"You're a mountain, I'd like to climb. Not to conquer, but to share in the view!"
    -Incubus-

Quote Originally Posted by Tudor

With that said, could the moderator's lock this thread, as it has already served it's original purpose? Thanks!
    Excellent suggestion, Tudor. You are wise beyond your years.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by drsukie
    Folks - why the angst towards Wingfoot and his book?
    I don't know Wingfoot, or have his book, or really care what he does/doesn't do for the trail but .... as a relative newbie to the world of AT thru-hiking (but not the world of internet discussion forums!), I used to participate on his message board and got quickly frustrated with the way he manages (or "controls") it. I recognize that he's the owner of that board and can do as he pleases, but anytime someone offered an opinion that differed from his "gospel" of thru-hiking, he would swoop in and close the thread with a post that basically said his way was the right way and there'd be no more discussion on the issue. So much for a "discussion" board ... so, if that qualifies as "angst" so be it, but it sure doesn't stem from a position of jealousy.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman
    anytime someone offered an opinion that differed from his "gospel" of thru-hiking, he would swoop in and close the thread with a post that basically said his way was the right way and there'd be no more discussion on the issue.
    His minions try to do that on other boards too. Only praise is allowed, any facts or opinions to the contrary will be shouted down.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

It's a great tool ! I dont know the man, and could care less about all the "side issues". I have been on the a/t many, many years and it's the book I see most frequently-- by far, this guy must be doing something right. I have a veeery old copy and still use it. I think Saimyoji hit the old nail on the head!

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Gypsy got her Handbook in November of 2000 after she was done hiking for the year.
    Same here, but it was two copies for me... wanted the home folks to have the same info I did if something came up-- towns, phone numbers, post offices, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by general
    in 2000, wingfoot kept my money and never sent my book, due to delay's at the printer. i never got my book or my money after repeated attempts during and aflter my hike. eventually i was called a liar and told that i etiher didn't order a book or i was given my money back, due to the fact that it had all been taken care of. i've got a memory like a fu***n' elephant, and i ain't no liar. same thing happened to S.T.R. in 2000 as well. that was 6 years ago so maybe things have changed, bud i'd lay my money on the companion.
    You can get it on amazon.com in about a week.

Longshank: Can you post a link because all I see on Amazon are older versions of it carried by re-seller's ... I always thought if you wanted the newest version, you had to purchase it directly from Wingfoot's site.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

... I always thought if you wanted the newest version, you had to purchase it directly from Wingfoot's site.
    =========================================

Pretty sure that's still the case. Current issue is available only by direct order from the website.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

WF's Book: Well written, WF acts as your friendly hiking companion along the trip. includes much of the databook info. I too like the non-spiral format as I can rip out the pages. Only one editor, though, so the info tends to not be as updated

ATC/ALDHA Book: More utlitarian that the WF book. Many editors in the field, tends to be updated and more current. Does not currently have the databook type info so may not be as handy as the WF book. I don't like the spiral format.

Overall: The WF book is probably the better witten of the two. The ALDHA book seems to be more current. If the ALDHA/ATC book includes the databook type info as Sly suggested, it will probably be the more useful book overall.

The ATC/ALDHA book does directly benefit the ATC. That may or may not be a selling point.

Anyway, that's my .02 worth. Trying to keep a nuetral overview.

(And in a slightly not-so-nuetral way: I'd buy the ATC/ALDHA companion because I know many of the editors, been involved with ALDHA, and it supports the ATC. Nothing to do with WF. When I met him in 1998, he was very personable. Have not dealt with WF online in years, so I can not speak firsthand of his current online persona)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Longshank: Can you post a link because all I see on Amazon are older versions of it carried by re-seller's ... I always thought if you wanted the newest version, you had to purchase it directly from Wingfoot's site.
    I've read that the updates are not vast and sweeping changes, generally speaking, and I think I would rather have a year-old version than risk going without one at all.

Prior to seeing this thread, I went to Wingfoot's site earlier this week with the intention of ordering his guide. Personally, I prefer the format of his handbook over the Companion. I bought and have been using the 2003 handbook but figured that the info is getting a bit old and it was time for an upgrade (as a section hiker that, at best gets in 100 - 150 miles each year, I can't justify a new guide every year).

What shocked me about the Handbook is that Wingfoot is charging $6 for shipping on ONE BOOK! That seemed high to me. Checking actual mailing cost for the book (using my 2003 handbook for checking weight), it comes to $2.07 for First Class or $1.59 for media mail. Even at $1 for the envelope, that is still a pretty stiff premium for shipping.

I guess I'll wait and buy my copy from one of the outfitters along the trail this spring.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++