WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

1. Hiker, mostly out of necessity as in to get from one place to the other. I do enjoy it very much and would like to do it more, eventually becoming a section hiker.
    2. Backpacker, mostly day trips, I carry what I need for the day plus a little extra for safety
    3. Camper, Done it all, overnight as a hiker / backpacker, car / truck camped, tent camped, canoe camped, beach camped, pop up camper, tow behind camper, RV, shelter camped. Most recently I got a Hammock and have been doing some multi day motorcycle camping. 029.JPG

Most of my time out of doors is directly related to hunting or fishing, so take that into consideration. However I have been spending the time and money to outfit myself for some week long adventures in the very near future.

RUNT ''13''

Images

​Two excellent candidates for a hike of considerable distance would be the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama-Georgia, and the Benton Mackay Trail in Georgia that connects to the AT in two places.

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org

The Pinhoti is a premier southern Appalachian long distance hiking trail and it is also a southeast region Appalachian Trail connector. The total distance of the trail is 339.0 miles. There are 171.2 miles in Alabama and 167.8 miles in Georgia, which makes the Pinhoti the longest hiking trail in either state.

​The Pinhoti's northern terminus is in northwest Georgia, just west of the town of Blue Ridge, where it intersects with the Benton MacKaye Trail. Hiking east on the BMT for 72.3 miles will put you at Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the famous Appalachian Trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    The other one that keeps coming into my head is the other half of the NY Long Path - the half that isn't blazed, because it's a route rather than a trail. A good description of the route as it it existed eighty years ago can be found starting on page 26 of http://www.nynjtc.org/files/documents/LBP.pdf.

With the state acquisition of the Finch Pruyn lands, it would be feasible to do virtually the whole route as described without trespassing. (When I read the 1930s-vintage description of the route, it seems charmingly naive, "you're trespassing here, so don't build any fires or make camp," rather than 'PRIVATE! KEEP OUT!")

There are only a couple of reroutes that would be absolutely required (avoiding Mason Hill in favor of following the East Stony Creek up from Northville; something to get around the private land near Crane Mountain; finding a bushwhack route up Gore from the southwest), and some open questions (can the dam maintenance road, disused for a century, be followed from Boreas Bridge to complete a route into Boreas Ponds, or should the modern route detour east to follow the Gulf Brook tote road? Is the tote road from Casey Brook to the Elk Lake-Marcy trail a passable route?) The missing section is easy to reconstruct from the mileage table. It descends from Four Corners to the west as far as Lake Colden, heads north through Avalanche Pass and finally picks up the Van Hoevenberg trail to the Adirondak Loj.

Combining the route as described with a thru-hike of the blazed Long Path would make for about a five-hundred-mile Big Hike, including some dozens of miles of unmarked, abandoned haul roads and maybe 10-15 miles of outright bushwhack. That hike would take in the best of Harriman, the Shawangunk ridge, the Catskills (including the Burroughs Range, half of the Devil's Path, and the northern Escarpment), the Schoharie valley, the Helderberg escarpment, a TON of roadwalking to get across the Mohawk valley (sorry! No workaround here! At least it's pleasant farm country with good views, like the Cumberland Valley was when the AT roadwalked through it), and then the very best of the Adirondacks: East Stony Creek, Crane Mountain, Gore, the Hudson Gorge, the Boreas Ponds, Panther Gorge, and a circuit of the Adirondack Great Range, before finally going through the spectacular Avalanche Pass out to Lake Clear of Heart.

Logistics for it would involve a lot of homework. There are sections where places either to camp or to pay for lodging are pretty sparse. Finding the route would mean carrying 1895 topo maps as well as modern ones.

About 5-6 years from now, if my body cooperates, and I can find a suitable crew (I would not attempt such a crazy stunt solo),I might just give it at try.
    In 5-6 years I should be retired, sign me up as a maybe for that trip.
    Ask again in 5 years

Fast, light, freeze at night, when not hiking I run ultras.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Images

I get to the AT 2-3 times a year. Hike 4-10 days per trip covering 11-15 miles per day. Try to hike a different section each trip. My three season base weight ranges between 13-16 lbs, depending on time of year and conditions. I always take an afternoon nap in my hammock. Never pass a vista or overlook. Taking the final steps toward lighten my base weight with a new pack (Zpacks), swapping synthetic insulation for down, and lighter misc gear. When the new gear arrives, I’ll take it for a walk.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

The kind that needs to go more. Hike to camp.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Slow, heavy, warm at night. When not hiking I'm dehydrating food for the next trip.
    Do you dehydrate all the meals you eat on the trail? I´m in my first year of learning how to dehydrate and so far I am totally impressed with weight savings and good food and less bulk in my pack.

Images

Slow, heavy, warm at night. When not hiking I'm dehydrating food for the next trip.
    i just assumed you put saddle bags on a pig and let it follow you to camp
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by walkeatsleep View Post
    Do you dehydrate all the meals you eat on the trail? I´m in my first year of learning how to dehydrate and so far I am totally impressed with weight savings and good food and less bulk in my pack.
    Yes, and it's right you should be totally impressed with the weight savings as home drying makes a big difference, plus you get to eat exactly what you want and it's much cheaper than Mt House and way less salty. To get some idea of your choices, check out my Kitchen keyword on Smugmug---click thru them and find the Dehydrator pics---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keywo...chen/i-5q9tHNk

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    The only pigs I know have tusks and snarl and hate carrying extra gear so I still have to do all the hauling.

Yes, and it's right you should be totally impressed with the weight savings as home drying makes a big difference, plus you get to eat exactly what you want and it's much cheaper than Mt House and way less salty. To get some idea of your choices, check out my Kitchen keyword on Smugmug---click thru them and find the Dehydrator pics---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keywo...chen/i-5q9tHNk

The only pigs I know have tusks and snarl and hate carrying extra gear so I still have to do all the hauling.
    Any recommendations on decent dehydrators on a budget?

I like supported hiking best, esp when someone is along who doesn't want to hike but loves to camp. Then I might even hike some and trail run some. I enjoy being on the trail mostly to see all the flora, the views are unreal too. Generally hiking and taking water off the streams and using a Sawyer leaves me refreshed. I like doing 15-20/d but at 55 that catches up to me. I have done some unsupported hiking this year but tore up my achilles carrying a heavy pack with too much food and too much water. I use tarp tent and find it easy to set up. I did see a woman once in hammock on the top of Blood Mountain that I envied for her view. My aim is to be able to go out and hike unsupported and enjoy it. It isn't easy for me to find time off to do the entire thru hike, but maybe I will retire.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Try to find something as big as possible for your budget. I like my stainless steel TSM 5 tray model but it's not cheap although I've processed hundreds of meals on the thing in the last many years. This pic shows the amount of drying space I have---enough for around 5 separate backpacking meals---or five days of cooked meals.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    thats this guys style...he brings a goat. My wife and I saw him one day while grocery shopping at our local place.
    IMG_0014.JPG

http://modernfarmer.com/2015/01/man-...cross-america/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Check Amazon and find one that you like, then look for it in eBay or craig´s list to see if you can find a good used one for half price. I found mine for half price, but now that I know I really like doing this I´m looking to trade up to a bigger, better one.
    I´ve been making extra at each dinner and putting the leftovers in the dryer and setting it to turn off after 5 hours. then I finish the drying in the morning. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by walkeatsleep View Post
    ​Two excellent candidates for a hike of considerable distance would be the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama-Georgia, and the Benton Mackay Trail in Georgia that connects to the AT in two places.

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org

The Pinhoti is a premier southern Appalachian long distance hiking trail and it is also a southeast region Appalachian Trail connector. The total distance of the trail is 339.0 miles. There are 171.2 miles in Alabama and 167.8 miles in Georgia, which makes the Pinhoti the longest hiking trail in either state.

​The Pinhoti's northern terminus is in northwest Georgia, just west of the town of Blue Ridge, where it intersects with the Benton MacKaye Trail. Hiking east on the BMT for 72.3 miles will put you at Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the famous Appalachian Trail.

I've been saying the same thing for a few yrs. NOBO PT to NOBO BMT to AT at Davenport Gap. SOBO on AT back to Springer.

Good topic. It depends on whether you are a hiker who camps, or a camper who hikes.
    The hiker who camps can go very bare-bones and get along fine. We often hike 10-12 hrs then have time just to eat and sleep.
    The camper generally needs a lot more gear because they might spend 20 hrs camping and only 4 hrs hiking. Some people need distractions to fill the time, and that means gear besides clothes and footwear. And if you're using gear, like digital gadgets, your probably not hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Good topic. It depends on whether you are a hiker who camps, or a camper who hikes.
    The hiker who camps can go very bare-bones and get along fine. We often hike 10-12 hrs then have time just to eat and sleep.
    The camper generally needs a lot more gear because they might spend 20 hrs camping and only 4 hrs hiking. Some people need distractions to fill the time, and that means gear besides clothes and footwear. And if you're using gear, like digital gadgets, your probably not hiking.
    After looking at tipi Walters food page at smug mug I realize that I´m more about eating and a comfortable camp than I am about hiking. My wife Better tells everyone we meet that she eats to live and I live to eat, and its true. I´d walk a mile off the trail for a sweet camp spot with spring water and a good view. Then, as Rockdoc says, I´ll set up my hammock camp and stay there a while.

I guess that makes me less of a hiker and more of a backpack camper.

Interesting to read all the varied responses. I've never measured base weight but I know it probably spans a wide range for me depending on whims, mood, and season. I work full time but have life circumstances that allow me to get out a little more than every other weekend; usually wind up between 30 and 40 short trips every year. Typical is two night -two days with two week long trip added in as life allows. I've maintained this pace for about the last 8 years.

I like endurance exercise and sometimes merge that with backpacking and wind up hiking 20-25 mile days (on trail of course). In new places I like to keep it under 15 mpd and of course when bushwhacking in the southeast, a 2-5 mile day might be a big one.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I see you have no dogs
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++