WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default UL thru hiking - cold start

Is it really possible to begin a Nobo thru ultralightly? Given that one typically starts in March, I don't know that one can needing extra clothing and calories. I'm hiking at 24-25lbs in summer temps with 6 days of provisions and 1 liter of water, set of hiking and camp clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by nuknees View Post
    Is it really possible to begin a Nobo thru ultralightly? Given that one typically starts in March, I don't know that one can needing extra clothing and calories. I'm hiking at 24-25lbs in summer temps with 6 days of provisions and 1 liter of water, set of hiking and camp clothes.
    With some investment, yes. My 3-season BW is 13lbs, with a 10* bag, Zpacks tent and backpack! But it all costs money

Yep, all it takes is money. High end down and lots of cuben fiber will do it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered Offender

Yep. Many of us here have done it. But it encroaches "a little less ultralight:" a few more pieces of clothing, a fleece bag liner (or a heavier bag), and perhaps a "real" stove. Much else remains the same. I still stick with a tarp, but really depend on the heavier bag and/or liner, as well as a few more campfires each night. The latter depends on locale, naturally.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

If your load is 25 lb in the summer then the answer is no - you can't hike ultralight in the winter
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

UL takes things into account like time of season, specific location of hike at the start, weather, etc ....One can still go UL in March. UL kits are always being tweaked according to such factors as these and likely many more by those who hike with an UL approach all 4 seasons in different geographical regions.

Do yourself a big favor, approach UL by first understanding the conditions. Skurka does it about as well as anyone. THEN, he adjusts his kit, approaches, etc. HE also knows himself and what skills he brings to this approach. http://andrewskurka.com/tag/core-13/

Images

You CAN get pretty light even in the cold months...

Note: I'm hiking with my wife and she is carrying the "kitchen & bathroom" gear, so that lowers my solo weight by about 1 pound.

* denotes winter gear, sending home around Pearisburg

External Clothing

Grams

oz.

Pounds
    Patagonia Lightweight Capilene T 76 2.68
    Mountain Khakis Long hiking pants 253 8.93
    Darn Tough Socks (warm) 65 2.29
    Ex Officio Compression Shorts 68 2.40
    Tilley Hat 90 3.18
    Columbia Long sleeve hiking shirt 203 7.16
    Packed Clothing
    Shorts 128 4.52
    Sleeping socks 73 2.58
    Patagonia LS Lightweight Capilene Zip 109 3.85
    Patagonia Lightweight Capilene Bottoms 103 3.63
    Kuhl Long sleeve base layer* 307 10.83
    Lowe Alpine Polartec Cap* 49 1.73
    Montbell Superior Down Vest 154 5.43
    Merino wool Buff 48 1.69
    REI fleece Gloves (winter)* 64 2.26
    Sierra Designs Rain jacket 237 8.36
    Sierra Designs Rain pants* 198 6.99
    Darn Tough Hiker Socks (1 pr.) 49 1.73
    Easton Stuffsack 42 1.48
    Total weight 2316 81.72
    Pack weight 1561 55.08 3.44
    Big 4
    Backpack (Zpacks Arc Haul w/2 hip 1 shld pocket) 752 26.53
    20 degree Enlightened Equip. Quilt 499 17.61
    Quilt stuffsack 27 0.95
    Klymit X-Lite Pad 338 11.93
    Tent (Zpacks Duplex & stuffsack) 595 21.00
    Tent stakes (Zpacks CF & stuffsack) 52 1.83
    Total of "Big 4" 2263 79.85 4.99
    Water Gear
    1x1.5L MD & 1x1/2 L H2O bottles 61 2.15
    Sawyer squeeze filter & ziplock 95 3.35
    Snowpeak 450 mug 61 2.15
    217 7.66 0.48
    Electronics
    Droid Turbo 2 & hard case 207 7.30
    10500 Mah ext. battery 211 7.45
    Wall charge plug / cord 45 1.59
    463 16.34 1.02
    Misc. Gear
    Food stuff sack / bear bagging system (w/rope & biner) 85 3.00
    Black Diamond Revolt Headlamp 96 3.39
    First Aid Kit /repair kit & stuffsack 55 1.94
    Mosquito net 27 0.95
    Glasses, Sunglasses & case 98 3.46
    361 12.74 0.80
    Total Base Weight 10.68
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Thanks for taking the time to draft that list up Engine! Good food for thought!

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    If your load is 25 lb in the summer then the answer is no - you can't hike ultralight in the winter
    This is a good point. But he does mention that he's carrying six days worth of "provisions" and 2+lbs of water. Few hikers I've met can manage on much less than two pounds of food per day when in full hike mode, so in a sense we can subtract that 'provisional' weight, meaning he's at least down near ultralight categorization in terms of base weight. (25lbs - 12lbs "provisions" - 2lbs water = 11lbs.) If this is all true and accurate, his load is certainly lighter than most.

I can say from experience that there's no worse time than in winter to not have what you NEED. My ultralight mentality gets tossed for the most part (even here in the desert of southern Utah), but in mid-March on the southern AT, it's still pretty much a go.

Thankfully, the load on the back can be modified continually, and easily. In time most long-distance hikers understand this last point. We don't hike far (enough, some would say) from the social apparatus; alterations to the load can always be made.
    Last edited by Uriah; 09-26-2016 at 08:56.

If you do what most thruhikers do in March---bail to the closest town when snow hits or very low temps like 0F---you shouldn't have to carry any "real" winter gear. Like a snow shovel or microspikes or even an overkill subzero down bag or a decent 4 season tent.

But heck if you want to stay on the trail in the worst conditions you will need microspikes and yes even a snow shovel if you desire to camp away from the rat box shelters on ridgelines covered in 2 feet of snow. A full winter kit will allow you this freedom so you won't have to bail to a town and sit put while Miss Nature puts on the greatest show on planet Earth.

If you elect to see all she has to offer and not bug out, well, you may not be moving far every day postholing thru deep snow but fortunately you're out and moving at least 4 or 5 miles every day and digging in a new campsite every night with your shovel. It's called winter backpacking.

Engine a 20° quilt wouldn't cut it for me with a march start . I was in HF in April and it was low 20s. It would work with an April start.
    But HYOH.

Thom

Garlic
    Images

A corollary to Tipi's good point: A UL hiker will have no need to start in March. Wait until early May, hike four months in nice weather with your light load.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Engine a 20° quilt wouldn't cut it for me with a march start . I was in HF in April and it was low 20s. It would work with an April start.
    But HYOH.

Thom

Sleeping in long johns with down vest, fleece gloves, fleece hat, and heavy wool socks. In addition to all of that, I will be using a 1/8" Gossamer Gear pad over the inflatable pad for extra insulation. And, we're in a tent which adds a few degrees...It'll be good down to single digits if need be.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Engine, how does that pad with all the holes keep you warm on a cold ground with a quilt that has no bottom insulation?

never mind just read above post. My bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Sleeping in long johns with down vest, fleece gloves, fleece hat, and heavy wool socks. In addition to all of that, I will be using a 1/8" Gossamer Gear pad over the inflatable pad for extra insulation. And, we're in a tent which adds a few degrees...It'll be good down to single digits if need be.
    I would test your set up in the back yard before heading out.
    did a similar thing last year and was fine, actually woke up sweating.
    I hated the GG pad on top. Worked better for me under my main pad.
    It became a wrinkled mess by morning. Under the pad it stayed flat.

I was was able to take my 30 degree bag to the low 20's with warmth to spare using a down beanie and down socks.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post

I was was able to take my 30 degree bag to the low 20's with warmth to spare using a down beanie and down socks.
    Hit reply too soon. I also was wearing fleece gloves, a nano puff and draped a light fleece pullover over my legs. For good measure I also through a bottle of hot water in the bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stilllife View Post
    Engine, how does that pad with all the holes keep you warm on a cold ground with a quilt that has no bottom insulation?
    klymit.jpg No holes...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post

Yeah, we have some winter trips planned for January and February to shake everything down. I know sleeping setups vary a lot from person to person

I'm hiking at 24-25lbs in summer temps with 6 days of provisions and 1 liter of water, set of hiking and camp clothes.
    If I'm reading this correctly - you carry an extra set of hiking clothes?

My summer stuff (down to the 30's at night) weighs 11 lbs and (at this time) I own zero cuben fiber. Don't have a down puffy and my fleece came from Thrift Town. Sleeping thermals are from Costco and a raid of my mom's closet.

The biggest "secret" to shedding pack weight isn't buying more expensive gear. The best kept secret is just leaving extra stuff at home - like Crocs, extra clothes, extra food, extra first aid stuff, extra electronics, etc, etc.

Best wishes!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++