WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Appalachian Trail rerouted in order to improve hiking experience at Watauga Lake - Mo

Appalachian Trail rerouted in order to improve hiking experience at Watauga Lake
    Mountain Xpress (blog)
    Today the U.S. Forest Service, The Conservation Fund and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) announced the protection of 20 acres near Cherokee National Forest's Shook Branch Swim Area at Watauga Lake. The acquisition, made possible with ...
    Downs: An historic opportunity to preserve our natural heritageRoanoke Times

all 3 news articles »

More...

Images

I think his is the link you wanted...

https://mountainx.com/blogwire/appal...-watauga-lake/

Interesting. The section of trail from the road north definitely needed some attention as it would often flood in the spring. Maybe they can shift the trail west and eliminate that little PITB climb up and over Pond Flats.

After crossing the dam, I always stick to the road for the 3/10ths of a mile instead of climbing up onto that little piece of ridge for no good reason. Some road walks make sense.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

So does the new route still go by the beach? That was an enjoyable stop.

Journal Entries
    Images

This relo has been discussed recently and there was a site visit several months ago which I did not attend. It is South of US321 and Watauga Lake and should not affect the trail around the lake. The climb over Pond will remain (I believe the Hampton Blue Blazer to Laurel Fork Falls used to be the AT until is was rerouted over Pond to avoid hiking on 321.)

One of the issues is the crossing of 321. I am not sure what the plans are for that crossing.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations
    twitter

++ New Posts ++