WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up A Formidable Challenger to the Petzl e+Lite (Ultralight) Headlamp

In researching ultralight headlamps I came across the FireFly Ultralight Headlamp. Practically the same specs as the popular Petzl e+Lite, the Firefly has 40 lumens as compared to the Petzl e+Lite's 26. The Firefly doesn't rely on a retractible headband. The headband is a shock cord that can be adjusted and removed if necessary. The lamp has high, low, red and flashing. The lamp can also be adjusted for tilt and there is a clip for mounting to the bill of a hat. The one I purchased came in at 1 ounce. Like most ultralight headlamps it uses Lithium CR 2032 batteries. The price point is close to the Petzel. I've used it several times and it works well for a camp light. I probably wouldn't use it to night hike but I'm sure some people would be fine with the 40 lumens and spot light beam.

https://www.amazon.com/FireFly-Ultra...00C2CGUWG?th=1

Images

Looks like an excellent piece of gear, thanks! I was looking for a replacement of my 30 lumen, 1.6 ounce headlamp, this might fit the bill nicely.

Can't recharge it with a battery pack .

thom

Images

Just my own modus operandi, but I have no interest in using my precious USB energy for headlamp recharging, I want to save that for my phone, which is used extensively for other tasks (phone, camera, Kindle reader, maps, navigation, etc, etc). Those little cr batteries are very light, a couple grams (3?) each, I'd rather have a headlamp that uses those and carry 3 extra for long hiking, including some after dark hiking.

40 lumens will just about support night hiking.

Questions I"m seeking answers for. I'm asking.

Let's say I'm out on a LD hike in N.America say the U.S. say on the Pacific Northwest Trail. Typical resupply locations are about 7 days apart. This is a more remote backcountry hike than either the AT or PCT. Large towns with large grocery stores, pharmacies, etc, stores like Walmart, are non existent or rare close to the trail. This is my only source of light beyond a mini bic used for cooking. I need to buy replacement LITHIUM cr 2032 batteries for this headlamp. How common is it to find LITHIUM cr 2032 batteries? How many cr2032 batteries does this headlamp need? How long do fresh cr2032 LITHIUM 3V batteries last at the full power setting of 40 lumens? I recently saw someone using this exact headlamp and asked these questions. I received no solid answers.

My concern with such minimal lumen output I might be using this headlamp at the full power setting more often than not and this is just for in camp in my shelter use. I wouldn't night hike on single track under a 40 lumen headlamp.

I recently went to three stores, a Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS, in the large metropolitan Atlanta area to find these size batteries to replace my mom's automatic car lock/alarm key chain. I'm seeing these batteries available but not as often as say AAA batteries that my current headlands operate.

TU

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

Let's say I'm out on a LD hike in N.America say the U.S. say on the Pacific Northwest Trail. Typical resupply locations are about 7 days apart. This is a more remote backcountry hike than either the AT or PCT. Large towns with large grocery stores, pharmacies, etc, stores like Walmart, are non existent or rare close to the trail. This is my only source of light beyond a mini bic used for cooking. I need to buy replacement LITHIUM cr 2032 batteries for this headlamp. How common is it to find LITHIUM cr 2032 batteries? How many cr2032 batteries does this headlamp need? How long do fresh cr2032 LITHIUM 3V batteries last at the full power setting of 40 lumens? I recently saw someone using this exact headlamp and asked these questions. I received no solid answers.

My concern with such minimal lumen output I might be using this headlamp at the full power setting more often than not and this is just for in camp in my shelter use. I wouldn't night hike on single track under a 40 lumen headlamp.

I recently went to three stores, a Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS, in the large metropolitan Atlanta area to find these size batteries to replace my mom's automatic car lock/alarm key chain. I'm seeing these batteries available but not as often as say AAA batteries that my current headlands operate.

TU
    Though I haven't run the batteries down, I read that another owner ran the light in the highest setting and it lasted 56 hours. It takes two batteries. The batteries are pretty common but not as common AA or AAA's. I don't remember what the weight of a 2032 but if I had to guess it would be .10 ounces. Most of these ultralight headlamps use the 2032 to cut the weight. The one ounce weight includes the two 2032 batteries. For that weight you could carry a few extra and still be saving some substantial weight. I may just have to do a full review of it and run them down.

If 56 hrs at 40 lumens on those two cr2032 batteries is accurate and customary that is good info not know. T U for responding so quickly.

I'm guessing you're a dedicated ULer?

Journal Entries

Junk
    Unregulated
    It will put out near zero light for most of its claimed burn time.

A L92 AAA has 1200 mAh capacity for 0.27 oz
    Two cr2032 give 480 mAh for 0.2 oz

54% of energy density of AAA.

I get 15 hrs @ 20L with single l92 on efficient regulated light. With ability to hit 80 monentarily when needed. Or 1.75 hrs on 80. For 0.68 oz total wt. Once eyes adjusted, 20L is sufficient for me
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-04-2016 at 13:44.

If 56 hrs at 40 lumens on those two cr2032 batteries is accurate and customary that is good info not know. T U for responding so quickly.

I'm guessing you're a dedicated ULer?
    At 53 years of age I have to be I'll pick up a new set of batteries and run them down. If you do decide to purchase this headlamp make sure you purchase the newest model because there have been some upgrades. The older version when turned on went directly to full white and to turn it off you had to go through every lamp mode. The new version when turned on goes directly to red. In the red mode you can power the lamp down. The lamp now has a secondary switch to prevent it from accidentally turned on while in your pack.

Journal Entries
    Images

If it were $15 it might be a contender, but it's more expensive and doesn't carry the Petzl name or guarantee. My headlamp weighs about 3oz and I can get batteries anywhere. I like brightness, durability, and ease of use when it comes to my headlamp. The CR2032 coin cells are light, and can usually be found at Kroger and the like, but I wouldn't trade all of these benefits for 2oz of weight savings.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Journal Entries

For time that I don't expect much night hiking I'm using a apx $5 headlamp from Wallyworld, bought a bunch of C3032 (or whatever) batteries for it on-line for pennies. Night hiked with it a few times, while not superbright, bright enough to hike by. Long range blaze finding may be difficult though, so some trail sense is helpful.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Junk
    Unregulated
    It will put out near zero light for most of its claimed burn time.

A L92 AAA has 1200 mAh capacity for 0.27 oz
    Two cr2032 give 480 mAh for 0.2 oz

54% of energy density of AAA.

I get 15 hrs @ 20L with single l92 on efficient regulated light. With ability to hit 80 monentarily when needed. Or 1.75 hrs on 80. For 0.68 oz total wt. Once eyes adjusted, 20L is sufficient for me
    You can expect performance curve to be similar to photon. Not same, but this is what these unregulated little lights do...from old backpackinglight article on the photon:

photon-freedom-led-microight-spotlite-review-3.jpg

Corroborated in 2013 by bpl member hamsterfish:

"
    Pros:
    -Super light, comfortable, head tilts up down as needed like a normal headlamp.
    -Has a little clip for to mount to your hats visor. Awesome.
    -Batteries super easy to replace.
    -ipx6. Looks well made. I'd trust it in rain.
    -Have to hold button down for a few secs before it turns on, and it starts in red light mode. Nice to save batteries from accidental turn ons.
    -Bright. 40 lumens seems accurate. It's perhaps 20% brighter than my black diamond storm when only using the 2 side LEDs. (Not the spot light)
    [

Cons:
    -Not consistently bright. Starts off bright, then seems to lose perhaps 30% of its brightness after an hour. Bummer.
    -After 4 hours it was perhaps 50% brightness.
    -After 11 hours it was at around 25% brightness. Usable…but not ideal all.
    The 30 hour battery claim may be possible…. But toward the last 15 hours it would not be worth using.

Sorry for my non scientific numbers…but I hope this helps."
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-04-2016 at 19:58.

I have been looking angering this one. Love the 2 AAA batteries.

https://olightworld.com/store/flashl...05-active.html

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Stupid auto correct... angering was supposed to be "at getting"

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I use an older version Petzl Tikka+ 2-3 years old. 3ozs, rechargeable from a battery pack, programmable light settings (I have my 2 white light settings at 50 and 80 lumens). Tried a lot of different lights but Petzl is the gold standard IMHO.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I found that the e-lite just wasn't bright enough on the trail. It was ok in my tent but was not very good outside. I traded it in at trail days for a princeton tec fuel and was much happier. The lumen curve is correct in that you lose lots of light very quickly during the first couple hours. Most folks I hiked with used their lamp primarily to get to the privy after dark and I didn't even like the e-lite for that task let alone night hiking. Didn't see any of them on the last half of the trail.

Images

TU
    couple of thoughts DW....

first, these batteries are DIRT CHEAP, 40 of them for 13 bucks, just over 30 cents each, just about the same cost of AAA's from, say, Costco (Kirkland brand AAA's are about 30 cents each).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NBXRANI?th=1

So if you go with a headlamp that uses these, just buy 40 of them, I think right at about 0.10 ounces each, and take plenty of extra on first leg, then throw a few in each resupply box, voila!

I have hiked many times on a 30 lumen headlamp, no sweat, so for myself, 40 is plenty. On rough terrain though, this is indeed marginal, but if you hold the lamp in your hand occasionally, down lower, it will cast shadows and make the lamp much more effective. (headlamps on your, er, head, don't cast shadows on trail rocks/roots because the lamp is too close to your eyes). For those that use two trekking poles, of course, this doesn't work. I usually use one trekking pole, so have a hand free to hold the lamp down low occasionally.

Around camp, a half dozen lumens (or less) is plenty, I have found. I only use the higher output settings when night hiking.

My real concern with this and similar headlamps is the quick light output falloff the Muddy points out. I need a lamp that will maintain 30+ lumens for a few hours, not an hour or two, for those times when I do require some night hiking.

Journal Entries
    Images

This light looks nice but honestly I would be hard pressed to switch from my petzel light.
    They are known to make great lights and I love all the functions of my e lite.
    What I really like about my petzel is that the locking switch actually works and I havent had any problems with it coming on in my electronics bag.
    I might get this to check out and do a review of it at a later date but for mow im sticking with my petzel.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++