WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    i can burn more calories droppin' the kids at the pool.
    ...which lightens my load about a pound and a half.

...which lightens my load about a pound and a half.
    Which pool do you go to? How far is it round trip? And I would think your kids weigh more than that. Check your math.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garlic
    Images

i can burn more calories droppin' the kids at the pool.
    Same here when I work on taking the Browns to the Super Bowl.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Same here when I work on taking the Browns to the Super Bowl.
    Same here when I'm in my office doing some paperwork.

Cubicle humor.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Increased body wt is more complicated than just the wt. As if you carried 10 lbs of water vs 10 lbs of body wt.
    The increased body wt affects your circulatory system and all other systems for that matter. So just maybe loosing body wt is more important than a lighter tent.
    Spoken by someone who needs to loose wt.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    My experience is that I can feel the difference when a pound is gone, based on eating 1 to 1.5 pounds of food a day and noticing how the pack feels lighter every day on a multi-day trip. The lighter my pack, the more I enjoy carrying it.
    When carrying a total pack weight of 20 pounds, I can tell a difference very time I drink 4 to six ounces of water.

Its not about that one pound. Its a mentality. Its easy to justify many small things that only weigh an ounce or two when you take each one individually, but if you allow those small things into your pack when you don't really need them in aggregate they will equal several pounds. I dumped about 15 pounds of gear at Neels Gap and thereafter every week I would completely empty out my pack and carefully consider each item. By the end my rule was if I hadn't used the item in the last week I didn't really need it and would get rid of it. Why would you carry something for a whole week that you weren't using?

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    1 pound over a day with 2500 feet of climbing = 2500 foot-pounds at 10% efficiency in using food energy = 8 Calories = 1/29th of a Snickers.
    That only covers the difference for the elevation gain, not the distance traveled. What's the calculation over a distance of, say 10 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post

Will I notice that added weight? Since I've never hiked without it, probably not. I may hike .02 miles less each day, but what's the rush...I like backpacking. :-)

Engine,
    I bet You'll notice the flaws of the end entry and single door versus side entry and dual doors...That plus the weight savings, and Cuben versus silnylon (sags when wet) to me is worth the extra dough. If I remember correctly you are hiking with a partner, in that case the Triplex probably fits two adult better. Two adults plus gear might be cramped in the Duplex... I have the Triplex in Camo and my twelve year old boy and I have plenty of room for both plus gear... and it's only 2.8 ounces more than the Duplex...
    I will be using an Altaplex on my thru when solo and the Triplex when the boy joins me. Triplex is still much lighter than the Motrail and has more interior space both length and width.

Sorry if Hijacked!

HYOH

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++