WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What is on order?

Now that I am in the final stages of my gear list packages are showing up weekly. All those things I wanted but didn't flip the bill on before because what I had worked.

Earlier this week got my carbon fiber poles and today my zpacks food bag should arrive.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ahh the stockpile of gear I'm waiting on a few hammock things to arrive it has me going nuts I think once everything arrives I will have my kit ready to be tested in the good ole outside. And some training can begin. I have been sorting my kit for a few months and I think I'm getting close to being ready.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Images

For about 6 weeks it got so bad my postal delivery driver would just knock and door and laugh as she walked back to the vehicle...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

We are waiting on a freeze dryer.
    Not thru hiking this year and not just for backpacking meals. It's really a part of our total lifestyle/health/eating plan.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Registered User GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09's Avatar

Already have bought tent, pack, groundmat, poles, water purification, pack cover, Crocs, stove kit minus fuel, rain pants, bear bag.

Big items I'm lacking are sleeping bag and footwear. I have my bag picked out already and can't wait to order it in a couple weeks.
    The Sea to Summit Spark Sp1. It's a 800 loft ultra dry goose down bag that weighs about 12 ounces and packs 1.55 liters! The sp1 is only rated for 42 degrees but I will be combining that with one of the StS bag liners to add warmth for the cold months.

Still undecided on footwear.

,,Other than that my list is down to clothing layers, headlamp, rain jacket, down jacket, platypus. Titanium spork, knife, some rope, Maybe an extra dry bag....? And last but not least a trail guide.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    We are waiting on a freeze dryer.
    Not thru hiking this year and not just for backpacking meals. It's really a part of our total lifestyle/health/eating plan.
    A freeze dryer? May I ask how much that costs?

Default What is on order?

Nothing on order , it's all here. Sure was a busy Sept as a bag, 2 quilts and a new hammock all arrived.

Journal Entries
    Images

My fancy feast stove came today hopefully my hammock comes back from alterations tomorrow. Still waiting on my under quilt from EE. Can't be much longer now. I have a trip planned asap.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

I have a couple evernew water bags on order. What I don't understand is why they always seem to be backlogged 2 months. Is this a very small company?

The Sea to Summit Spark Sp1. It's a 800 loft ultra dry goose down bag that weighs about 12 ounces and packs 1.55 liters! The sp1 is only rated for 42 degrees but I will be combining that with one of the StS bag liners to add warmth for the cold months.

Wow 42° bag wouldn't be warm enough fit me in the cold months.

thom

Quote Originally Posted by GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09 View Post
    Already have bought tent, pack, groundmat, poles, water purification, pack cover, Crocs, stove kit minus fuel, rain pants, bear bag.

Big items I'm lacking are sleeping bag and footwear. I have my bag picked out already and can't wait to order it in a couple weeks.

Still undecided on footwear.

,,Other than that my list is down to clothing layers, headlamp, rain jacket, down jacket, platypus. Titanium spork, knife, some rope, Maybe an extra dry bag....? And last but not least a trail guide.
    I would strongly consider a lower rated sleeping bag, especially if you are starting in march, or pushing into late September. The liners are optimistic in their warmth ratings. You can get a warmer rated bag for less combined weight than the 42deg bag plus weight of the liner. I sleep warm, and would consider a 30deg bag minimum, 20 if you don't sleep like a furnace. Plus, the spark bags are a quite tight fit. Though this is good for retaining heat, keep in mind that you won't necessarily have room to wear a jacket comfortably inside of it, which reduces your range of comfortable temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
    I would strongly consider a lower rated sleeping bag, especially if you are starting in march, or pushing into late September. The liners are optimistic in their warmth ratings. You can get a warmer rated bag for less combined weight than the 42deg bag plus weight of the liner. I sleep warm, and would consider a 30deg bag minimum, 20 if you don't sleep like a furnace. Plus, the spark bags are a quite tight fit. Though this is good for retaining heat, keep in mind that you won't necessarily have room to wear a jacket comfortably inside of it, which reduces your range of comfortable temps.

Thanks feather. I may think about the sp2 or even downgrading to suck down for the roomier/cheaper trek series from StS.

I really do do appreciate these thought out responses. ����

Quote Originally Posted by GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09 View Post
    "You have much to learn, Grasshopper."
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Down fill power, expressed in cubic inches per ounce, has no relationship or bearing on loft, expressed in inches.
    Loft keeps you warm, or not, if you don't have enough loft. Most manufacturers don't tell you the loft figure for their sleeping bags or quilts anymore. Those who do are on the upper end of the quality scale.
    Enjoy.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

[QUOTE=Venchka;2098445]"You have much to learn, Grasshopper."
    Wayne

Trying to improve my hike the second time around. I like your second response, but this one seems kinda childish, the type of responses that draw people away from whiteblaze.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny or what. Constructive critisism is welcome. I admit I still have a lot to learn about hiking. But the use of the term "grasshopper" is kind of demeaning towards me and pompous on your end.. Especially to one who has already "hopped" from Ga-Me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Got my hammock back today!!! My mail lady called me and told me I have a package and she would be here at 10am. Now that's service.

[QUOTE=GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09;2098454]
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    "You have much to learn, Grasshopper."
    Wayne

Trying to improve my hike the second time around. I like your second response, but this one seems kinda childish, the type of responses that draw people away from whiteblaze.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny or what. Constructive critisism is welcome. I admit I still have a lot to learn about hiking. But the use of the term "grasshopper" is kind of demeaning towards me and pompous on your end.. Especially to one who has already "hopped" from Ga-Me.
    A reference to an old tv show. Too old I guess.
    Others have said the same thing: Your projected sleep system is deficient. Liners are a waste of ounces and dollars. Theoretically, you could layer two quilts at the start in the coldest weather. Send the lighter one home for in between weather and trade for the lightest one during summer. Reverse the process in New England.
    All of this has been discussed at length here. Just Bill is a good source. Look for his posts.
    Good luck. I did get your attention.
    Wayne

Unfortunately prettymuch everything is on order. Just ordered an ee quilt and I'm about to buy a tent or silshelter. Half of my proposed gear list isn't here yet, though most of it is lightweight versions of what I've got so

I last post didn't save the last sentence or 2, so here's the rest: I'm not too worried about trying it all out. I'm also still scraping the cash together. When I did my budgeting I should be leaving with around $3000 and a bit of emergency, but things are going to be tight.

Journal Entries
    Images

MARCH 13th is on order. When does it get here?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++