WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default I Wish I Had Known That When I Started Backpacking

Hey everyone! I hope you cash take some time to answer a question for me: If you could go back and tell yourself a few helpful hints, tips, or advice about backpacking on the dash you first started, what would they be?

I'm curious what you would consider the most important of most overlooked advice for new backpackers.

I'm asking because I'd like to potentially use some of your answers to compile into some content to help new hikers.

Please feel free to blow up this thread with gear advice, what to avoid, what to buy, mistakes to avoid. Whatever it is you feel are the most useful things for a beginner backpacker to know which might often go overlooked.

Hope everyone is doing great out there and congrats to all of the 2016 class (even those who may not have made it as far as they'd hoped).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Can take* day you* or most*

Sorry about the initial spelling issues. Typing on a phone.

Images

I wish I had known I didn't need to be a mobile emergency and comfort preparedness station. I carried so much stuff which never saw daylight until I unpacked back at the house...What you need to carry and what most new backpackers think they need are often miles apart.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Lighter is better.

Most internet advice is worth what you paid for it . Including mine

thom

Take wisdom. Ultra lite, hard to come by, worth more than gold.
    Practical advice? Take less (of everything) and go further each day).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I learned that 10 miles over 4 days with a 50 lb pack was a bad idea for a first backpacking trip.

I do short trips with a lot of new backpackers, and I agree that the #1 issue is just bringing too much crap. People can manage to pack 10 lbs of just clothes! And the temptation to bring a week's worth of food for 3 days is common.

If you're doing a hike that isn't that cold, you don't need to spend that much on gear. You just need to get appropriate gear and not bring useless crap. So, I guess a general tip would just be to have someone review your gear or test your stuff out on an easy/short hike

I meant 100 miles over 4 days as the first backpacking trip (although I got a shuttle for 10 miles on a road section...!)

If one is not in the habit of walking at least a couple of miles per day one is unlikely to be physically fit enough to enjoy walking 10+ miles per day.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Start off doing low milage and slowly build up.

Hike your own speed, don't try to keep up with others.

Take more pictures.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    I learned that 10 miles over 4 days with a 50 lb pack was a bad idea for a first backpacking trip.

I do short trips with a lot of new backpackers, and I agree that the #1 issue is just bringing too much crap. People can manage to pack 10 lbs of just clothes! And the temptation to bring a week's worth of food for 3 days is common.

If you're doing a hike that isn't that cold, you don't need to spend that much on gear. You just need to get appropriate gear and not bring useless crap. So, I guess a general tip would just be to have someone review your gear or test your stuff out on an easy/short hike
    Do you think setting too lofty of distance goals is a common issue as well? I see you mentioned 100 miles over four days. Do you think backpackers just getting started get sucked in to setting overly ambitious mileage goals?

Garlic
    Images

1) The things people ask and fret about the most are not even actually needed--knives, water filters, and stoves. I often hike with none of those. (See my signature line.)

2) Take less of nearly everything than you think you need (ditto #7 above). Arrive at your resupply or trail's end with no food left. Lighten your heavy load, and free your mind.

3) Your skin is your largest organ. Take good care of it.

4) "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb What I learned, and have to constantly remind myself

A little introduction, if I may.

I tried using two hiking poles, but found that I need one arm completely free to swat away insects. So now I hike with one pole. I allows me to keep my balance, putting a lot less strain on my legs.

For a year or so, I also used the pole to push myself along, as I did my typical series of week-long section hikes.
    Eventually, my right shoulder developed chronic pain, that no amount of rest or rubbing could help. It hurt just to grab a tree for balance.
    On the advice of an orthopedic M.D., I tried a month of physical therapy -- no help.
    However, one shot of cortisone -- his initial suggestion, which I resisted (he said "cortisone" and my mind heard "steroids") -- took care of the problem.
    But, at the time, I still wondered how I developed the damage.
    On a later hike, I noticed the strain in my shoulder every time I pushed off with my pole, trying to move faster. Ever since I gave up using the pole in that manner, I've had no shoulder pain.

SOOOOOO, whenever I catch myself using the pole to push myself, in order to increase my speed, I repeat to myself, "Balance, not propulsion."
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 10-24-2016 at 20:23.

Images

Not being used to long distance hiking in the moist east, my biggest mistake on the AT was foot neglect. It is important to bathe and dry your feet regularly, daily if possible. I probably developed trench foot.

I was also a big sissy when it came to hitch hiking... it really is easy along most of the trail. Don't be afraid to hitch, it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Start off doing low milage and slowly build up.

Hike your own speed, don't try to keep up with others.

Take more pictures.
    This. . . . .

Before I started, I wish that I had taken the time to learn much more about the flora/fauna/geology. I think that I would have appreciated things much more from the beginning than what I did. It would have been nice to know that, say, that's a chinquapin oak rather than that's another undifferentiated tree.

I took a lot of advice to heart from many internet articles, forums etc so didn't really feel I missed out on anything pertinent at the time.

One thing I found though, on my first couple of trips, was that testing my gear on overnights was completely worth it before I hit a week-long trip with no chance of changing stuff out (also internet recommended). My week-long trip had things dialed in really well, including my food, and I didn't over-carry too many edibles (I had a little extra). Since I started out solo, and have only ever gone solo, I haven't had someone around to help me and did a LOT of research and reading.

I also think that for those new to the hobby, stretching muscles in the morning and evening is vital. One of my first trips was cut short because I over-did it and I hadn't stretched the needed muscles before-hand. I also constantly stretch throughout the day if I feel things tightening up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    Do you think setting too lofty of distance goals is a common issue as well? I see you mentioned 100 miles over four days. Do you think backpackers just getting started get sucked in to setting overly ambitious mileage goals?

Yes, because you don't have a frame of reference. This happens all the time when you go to different terrain, even with people who have done "a few hikes"
    Many people's mileage targets don't properly factor in the affect of the pack (especially an overly heavy pack), fatigue from multiple days, and the absolute crawl you may hike at if it's very difficult terrain

Some of the initial hikes with my girlfriend were a nightmare on harder terrain. she would go like .7 mph and we would take 10 hours to go 7 miles, and it was a damn good thing we planned short days. We quickly realized steep rocks and/or bushwhacking are best left for solo hikes!

Images

Be flexible.
    Gear virtually NEVER makes or breaks a hike.
    Never decide to quit on a bad day.

Stay away from on-line hiking forums
    Gather whatever gear you can muster...and go hike, if that means a "hello kitty tent" from Wally World, so be it!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++