WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are Bugs a Problem With a Tarp Tent?

I used a tarp tent without any problem about two weeks in May in the south. I am planning to hike May-July in the northerly half next year. I am a bit concerned that mosquitoes in MASS and black flies could be a problem if I use a tarp tent. Any suggestions?

Journal Entries

Do you mean a "Tarptent" BRAND of tent or just using a tarp AS a tent? I have a TT Double Moment and I have hike din some seriously buggy areas and I can tell you that not one little thing has ever gotten inside with me... thus far. However, as a disclaimer, I will say that I have soaked the outside of my rain fly and bathtub floor with permithrin and I am hyper vigilant about keeping the zipper closed all the time and tight, as I have an issue with sleeping with bugs.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Images

Same question as above regarding kind of "tarptent" I use an older floor-less pyramid tent during buggy New England Summers without problem but with a pyramid I can use only one trekking pole vs 2 and lower the middle to make sure the bottom of the tent is on the ground. I have not found a need to treat the fabric with repellent, but I too open the door as little as possible. Good luck!
    “Well, I'm walkin' down the line.
    I'm walkin' down the line!
    An' I'm walkin' down the line,
    my feet'll be a-flyin',
    to tell about my troubled mind.”
    - Bob Dylan

I've used a TarpTent Notch for five years and thousands of miles; bugs have not been a problem.

I have a "branded" Tarptent, the Rainbow. No bugs at all, it is fully enclosed either with silnylon or bug screen.

I have the ProTrail from Tarptent and have never had any issues with insects getting in. They make a great product.

As has been alluded to, there are 3 ways to interpret your "Tarp tent".
    1. Tarp only, instead of a tent. Yes bugs can be a serious problem unless you batten down to the ground and even then.

2. Tarp tent generic meaning the type of tent that's more "tarp-like" but has bug netting and a floor, all sealed. No problem with bugs any more than a traditional tent. Great advice about not opening the door any more than you have to. If I leave it open for just half a minute (I'm coming right back to put something else in) I wind up with mosquitos and gnats inside! But they almost always seem to fly up to the peak so I can squish them. I did once spend a whole might with a spider and woke up with a bunch of bites. I hate zipping & unzipping constantly, it's hard on these small somewhat fragile zippers but that's what I have to do.

3. The Tarptent brand. They make fully enclosed tents and I think also tarps. So as in point #1 and #2 above.

I too user permethrin around the perimeter of my groundsheet/tent footprint, but mostly because I cowboy camp whenever possible so I like to keep the crawlies off the sheet. I have been severely criticized by people who think I'm environmentally irresponsible and wildlife hostile to do this. Permethrin is very bad for cats and fish so I dotty to be aware of that.

i have the protrail..no bugs get in, great tent!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lear View Post
    I used a tarp tent without any problem about two weeks in May in the south. I am planning to hike May-July in the northerly half next year. I am a bit concerned that mosquitoes in MASS and black flies could be a problem if I use a tarp tent. Any suggestions?
    Blackflies and Mosquitos will be a problem in MA that time of year regardless But a tarptent brand tent will keep them out. If you just use a tarp instead then make sure to figure some sort of bug netting for it. Also make sure to bring a headnet, trust me.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The first tarp explanation is what I referred to. I am sorry for the confusion. A tarp without anything underneath but a separate groundsheet, pad, and sleeping bag is what I used. It was open on the sides and even the edges would flap a bit. Does anyone know if I can use a bug net underneath this?

My tarp is an ENO brand, essentially two planes of fabric with stakes at four corners and ties on two ends.

Does anyone know if I can use a bug net underneath this?
    Lots of places make bugnet sacks, like bivis that for over your bag, with a tie-out to keep the net off your face. I have one from Mountain Laurel (I think). There is a very nice and inexpensive Chinese bug shelter that center-pyramids up in the middle to be supported by a tent pole. It's been discussed here recently.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Blessed is he who sleepeth behind screening, for he shall remain sane.

If nothing else, get one of these at XYZ-Mart, the outfitter or the military surplus store. A little bit of utility cord will suspend it from whatever you use to hang your tarp.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Blessed is he who sleepeth behind screening, for he shall remain sane.
    In the early 1970s one of my experiments to lighten load was to use a tent fly only. In a general area I had been before, dry weather, cool. But the weather turned hot first night and the mosquitoes came out. One of the most horrible nights of my life. I would alternate between snugging into the bag and sweating profusely, and coming up for air and being absolutely tormented by the whine (THAT more than the bites themselves).

About 4 am I got up and scooped leaves all around the fly to fill in the opening between ground and the fly perimeter. It pretty much worked and I actually got a couple of hours of sleep. I had forgotten all about that night until I read your message.

Images

The first tarp explanation is what I referred to. I am sorry for the confusion. A tarp without anything underneath but a separate groundsheet, pad, and sleeping bag is what I used. It was open on the sides and even the edges would flap a bit. Does anyone know if I can use a bug net underneath this?

My tarp is an ENO brand, essentially two planes of fabric with stakes at four corners and ties on two ends.
    the biggest problem you will have is when it's hot. You will have to choose between dying of heat or bug bites. A hot NJ made me go away from trap bivy to a mid style tarp with a bug net inner in warmer weather.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

Insect protection is luxury, not necessity.
    Witness AT hikers that only sleep in open shelters

Under you bag, with hat and headnet on, you are well protected for sleeping.

I like my insect free zone however.
    It's a mouse-free zone too....usually. The incontinent little ba$t@rds like to chew on $$$ gear. Particularly food or sweat soaked.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-22-2016 at 00:33.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Insect protection is luxury, not necessity.
    Witness AT hikers that only sleep in open shelters

Under you bag, with hat and headnet on, you are well protected for sleeping.

I like my insect free zone however.
    It's a mouse-free zone too....usually. The incontinent little ba$t@rds like to chew on $$$ gear. Particularly food or sweat soaked.
    Considering all the colorful and exciting mosquito-borne diseases around, I'd suggest it's not really a luxury.

No organism has caused more human deaths than the mosquito.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Considering all the colorful and exciting mosquito-borne diseases around, I'd suggest it's not really a luxury.

No organism has caused more human deaths than the mosquito.
    Aye. And the single greatest advance in medical care: Window screens.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

A possible solution to the question; http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=120

hope that helps..................

I used a tarp . . . without any problem about two weeks in May in the south. I am planning to hike May-July in the northerly half next year. I am a bit concerned that mosquitoes in MASS and black flies could be a problem if I use a tarp . . . Any suggestions?
    Yes, bugs can be a serious problem, even while hiking. During the very worst bug hatchings, there is nothing better for your sanity than a good bug net tent or tent with bug netting.

BUT, that being said, I almost always use a tarp shelter and rarely find bugs to be a big enough problem that I ever use or even carry either of my lovely bug tents. In the end, if the bugs aren't so miserable that they chase me off the trail all together, I can generally manage them fine with permethrine treated cloths and bug repellent (picaridin for black flies, not DEET) and maybe a head net. It also helps to cook and camp in areas that aren't too swampy and have a bit of a breeze. It also helps if you make dinner in the late afternoon/evening and then hike until bed time so you aren't trying to hang around camp outside your sleeping system for an extended period of time.

If you had to pick a time of year to maximize your likelihood of bug problems, you certainly chose well.

I'd probably consider taking one of my bug tents, and then choose not to, and just take a sheet of bug screen to drape over my head at night if the bugs got really bad. You can hang/drape a 4'x4' sheet of netting a few inches off your head with a string up to your tarp ridge-line, making a little micro bug tent that is a lot less to carry and set up than a whole bug tent. Try it out in your back yard or local park until you have a system that you like.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Considering all the colorful and exciting mosquito-borne diseases around. . .
    Yeah, but not around the northern part of the AT, thank goodness. Northern AT is tick born diseases, not mosquito born ones.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++