WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone have experience with the Vibram Trail Runners?

I have run many 10 miles races in vibrams but never used the trail shoes. Considering checking them out but want to hear opinions first from those who already have.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    I have run many 10 miles races in vibrams but never used the trail shoes. Considering checking them out but want to hear opinions first from those who already have.
    I assume you are asking about Vibram Fivefinger Shoes. I have been wearing the Vibram Treks for years. In fact, that is all I wear. I have hiked thousands of miles in them and intend to continue wearing them.

They work well for me, but I have learned that my experience isn't typical. Many others who have tried them report that their feet have not adjusted to them. I think one has to adjust how they walk to enjoy the barefoot experience. When most people walk or run, their heel strikes the ground first, then the front part of the foot touches the ground. For those who adjust to the proper way to wear Vibrams, the entire foot strikes the ground at the same time.

My suggestion is to try them, but don't throw away your hiking boots until you are confident that your feet have adjusted to the Vibrams.

The most common question I get from people on the trail is "Don't the rocks hurt your feet?" When I first started hiking with Vibrams, I did feel sharp stones. Over the years, my feet have toughened up enough that I don't have any pain.

One other tip -- I always wear socks. I found that without socks, sand and grit gets inside the shoes. I order the toe socks on Wish.Com for $1 a pair. They work just fine.

One more tip-- Fivefinger shoes aren't for the snow. The tread is ok, but the material between the toes allows water to get in. If I walk more than 1/4 mile in snow, my feet get really cold. I cross snowfields in mine, but I avoid long hikes in the snow.
    Shutterbug

Leonidas

If you want to try them out for relatively cheap. Woot.com has them on sale today, 3 different trail styles for men and I think at least 1 for ladies.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    If you want to try them out for relatively cheap. Woot.com has them on sale today, 3 different trail styles for men and I think at least 1 for ladies.

Thanks for the heads up! Just nabbed a pair at half off!

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! Just nabbed a pair at half off!
    No problem, I keep an eye on them there as they come up pretty often.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

++ New Posts ++