WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wood Gap to Fontana early November - Weather/Water???

I'm planning to section hike from Woody Gap to Fontana the first week of November and have a few questions. First off what type of weather should I expect to encounter such as highs during the day and lows at night? I use a hammock and want to make sure that I bring the proper weight of quilt/under quilt. I also want to make sure that I have the proper clothing. Also will there be enough water sources this time of year for adequate water? I appreciate any information provided!

I've been on that section several times in November...I'd guess lows around freezing to about 60 for high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Have you tried an extended forecast on accuweather.com?

^^ what he said. Then, as you get closer check at the actual elevation you might camp at:
    https://www.atweather.org

Oh, I'm headed up part of that way soon. I'll know about the water next week on one section.

All of Ga is in an extreme drought condition currently and water is very scarce. By November, I hope it has started to rain and water conditions should improve. If it doesn't start to rain, I wouldn't attemp this trip because you simply will not have water. I hiked just above there recently and there was hardly any water from Ga to mid NC. Trail Angels had been leaving gallon jugs at road crossings, and thank goodness they did. As to temps, it can get into freezing temps at night, up to 70's in the daytime, or stay a bit cooler in the daytime. Temps lately have been warmer than usual.

I just hiked from Deep Gap to Winding Stair. While many of the watering holes were dry, there were spots within every six miles of so with plenty of water. There were some falls near Wallace Gap that had enough water to shower - and with the high temperatures this weekend I was quite tempted

Apparently there is record heat across the south and it looks to stay that way for at least a little while.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I was up there this weekend too doing the Standing Indian loop. Was good to see decent water. The spring at Standing Indian Shelter had plenty. Kimsey Creek was lower than in the spring but running very well.

++ New Posts ++