WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Esbit stove

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    Can you get water to boil with only 1/4 of an Esbit tablet? (Under normal circumstances)
    No (he just said that you broke that one up). Two cups takes about 1/2 of an Esbit.

That it takes "forever" to boil up water with Esbit is not true. Two cups takes about six minutes. Do you want more speed, set fire to two or more (and blow them out when the water boils). (who needs boiling water anyway. Most of the times you only need warm water).

Quote Originally Posted by Oslohiker View Post
    No (he just said that you broke that one up). Two cups takes about 1/2 of an Esbit.

That it takes "forever" to boil up water with Esbit is not true. Two cups takes about six minutes. Do you want more speed, set fire to two or more (and blow them out when the water boils). (who needs boiling water anyway. Most of the times you only need warm water).
    Cool, that's what I thought. Depending on wind and temperature, about 1/2 of a tablet seems to be enough to get water to boil in a few minutes. I was just curious to see if he had figured out a way to do it with only 1/4 of a tablet. And you're absolutely right... in most situations getting water to a boil is more than what is actually needed.

I'll use a full Esbit tablet for a dinner, but I'll use the cheaper (per gram), half the size Stansport round tablet for a heating up a breakfast coffee that isnt requiring a full boil. And just for those who havent tried it, it's much easier to split an Esbit in two, than to re-light a half burned Esbit. They are harder to re-light in my experience.
    Last edited by scrabbler; 11-06-2016 at 22:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    Can you get water to boil with only 1/4 of an Esbit tablet? (Under normal circumstances)
    Sorry Suzzz
    Because this is an American forum I have been trying to stop myself writing with an Aussie accent, but bugger me if sometimes I don't stuff it up.

No I was not suggesting using a 1/4 of a tablet. Someone on here could explain it more in technical terms, using btu's etc, but here's the plain version according to me. A flame can only burn the fuel exposed, so by breaking a tablet you are exposing more surfaces/fuel to the flame and therefore more fuel is burnt and heat produced. If your stove setup is right, stove, wind shield/cone, pot surface area and height above the flame etc., then your water should boil quicker.

All that being said who really boils their water, unless it's unfiltered. I don't see the sense in boiling up water for a brew and then have to sit there for 5 minutes waiting till it cools so I can wrap my laughing gear around the lip of the pot and drink it. And if someone can make their brew 3,4,10 minutes faster than me with a jetboil or any other system then that just means I will have to walk 3,4,10 minutes longer at the end of the day for having the stupidity to waste all that time with an inefficient system, while enjoying the view somewhere waiting for the billy to boil, sorry not quite boil!
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Someone on here could explain it more in technical Terms...
    I think you put it perfectly right, the additional exposed surface does the trick.

Esbit tablets and the older military (foldable steel sheetmetal) Esbit stove is all I've ever used for hiking, but then I don't do real cooking, just heating water.
    Love the smell in some way meanwhile (it tells me "supper is ready soon, get ready you hungry wolf!"), cleaning the pot is easy in sandy environment (desert or beach), wet grass/leaves works as well.
    Re-use of partially burned tablets is super easy: Just blow out the flame, let the stove cool down, and fold it closed. The remainder of the tablet will stick to the inside of the stove.
    Re-lighting used tablets is easier than lighting new ones, up to my experience.

Thanks jjozgrunt!

Like Leo L. said, your explanation was perfect. And I almost didn't notice your Aussie accent! I'm quite happy with my purchase of the new Esbit stove. The only obvious downside I can think of right now is the inability to use it during a fire ban, in which situation I can plan for uncooked meals. So far, the smell of the Esbit doesn't bother me but I can see how it would be irritating to some people.

I started using Esbit in the late 70s and sure was glad when they started packaging them different. They used to throw them all in a box. They'd rub up against each other and crumble, and then if I used 2 or so from the box at least one would break into many pieces from being bounced around. Always had to put the box in a Ziploc or I'd have Esbit tab floating around inside my pack.

I think there are more efficient stoves for use when it's real cold. Not that it's terrible, but I eat a lot of Mtn House-type food and there have been times when I got real impatient (design flaw of mine).

Images

Today the weather is nice enough to do some testing. I'll try to boil 4 cups of water with one regular size esbit. I'll use a kmart grease pot with a DIY windscreen/potsupport. 70 degree starting temp for the water and 70 degree air temps. Calm conditions.

How well, if at all, does the Esbit system work at altitudes of 10,000' and up? For backpacking meals that require soaking times of 25 minutes and up?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    How well, if at all, does the Esbit system work at altitudes of 10,000' and up? For backpacking meals that require soaking times of 25 minutes and up?
    Wayne

I am curious as to how well it works on dehy meals with pasta, rice or bean components that require long soaking times(13 minutes at 5,000 feet) and specify boiling water. Say 2.5 cups of boiling water. Will less than boiling water work? If so, how much longer?

I've never used an Esbit. Changed from old school liquid fuels pressurized stoves to gas cans years ago. I will admit that the wood burner stoves have always intrigued me, but not enough to buy one. I would consider buying an Esbit if it worked for my purposes, which is solely boiling water for commercial dehy meals and coffee/tea/cocoa.

Images

The power of esbit.

3 tests at 72 degree start temp. 58 degree air temp. calm conditions, 4 cups of water 1 regular esbit cube. Kmart grease pot.

1st test + no boil, water got to 209.9 degrees

2nd test = no boil, water got to 198.9 degrees

3rd test = no boil, water got to 210.2 degrees

Not too shabby for 1 esbit.

I used a Brian Green Esbit tray with bread pan corners to burn the esbit in.

Here is what the set-up looks like:

DSCF3548.JPG

Did you record the times?

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I am curious as to how well it works on dehy meals with pasta, rice or bean components that require long soaking times(13 minutes at 5,000 feet) and specify boiling water. Say 2.5 cups of boiling water. Will less than boiling water work? If so, how much longer?
    Good questions I don't have answers to.

But...burn enough tabs and it'll boil.

I've only eaten Mtn House, and I routinely put in less water...it's just trial and error. But I always use boiling water.

I took aluminum duct that was about 4" diameter and made a wind screen of sorts. Drilled a few holes so the tab/fire could breath...had to experiment a bit. Similar to that thing zelph has.

IMO the Esbit and the original stove lose too much heat in the cold.

FTR it's been a long time since I used Esbit...but back in the day that's all I used.

-

for freeze dry with brand name esbit 2- 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil (otherwise the FD meal takes forever to rehydrate) leave it burn and the tablet is able to heat up 6 oz of water enough for tea

if you blow it out and relight it has no power left

Images

Did you record the times?
    No times were recorded. Only interested in heating ability of the one cube.

Nice testing rig! I am interested in how long from 72degrees to max temp and how long total tablet burn time was...not asking you to do any further testing, though!!! Thanks for what you did!

I'll pick up some Esbit and run some tests in a day or two. I am curious as to boiling a max of 24 ounces of water...will post any/all results.

I've never used an Esbit. Changed from old school liquid fuels pressurized stoves to gas cans years ago. I will admit that the wood burner stoves have always intrigued me, but not enough to buy one. I would consider buying an Esbit if it worked for my purposes, which is solely boiling water for commercial dehy meals and coffee/tea/cocoa.
    My experience between 10,000' and 11,000', white gas stove and rolling boil, between 190-195 degrees as I recall.
    Mountain House freeze dried per directions. No problems.
    Good To-Go Penne Pasta in tomato sauce. Dehydrated. 20+ minutes. Pasta was a bit crunchy and the sauce a little runny.
    I guess Esbit hasn't been used at altitude.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My desert hikes go up to 2.700m (8.800ft) and I never noticed any difference in heat capacity of the Esbit between low and high elevation.
    By far the biggest difference makes the wind, or the protection against it, when it comes to boiling time.

Its common knowledge that the boiling point of water drops significantly with elevation. Maybe this drop in boiling point equalizes the drop in heat capacity of Esbit due to lack of Oxygen in higer elevation, so that at the end the time to boil water roughly stays the same?
    True, the water boiling at lower temp in higher elevation will cause an increase of rehydration time. But that effect has nothing to do with the kind of fuel you're using. The best fuel in the world cannot heat up water above its boiling point.

When doing high mountains in winter including multiple nights out in a tent I doubt if I would take Esbit, but would prefer to either go stoveless or take a powerful white gas stove including lots of gas.

Nice testing rig! I am interested in how long from 72degrees to max temp and how long total tablet burn time was...not asking you to do any further testing, though!!! Thanks for what you did!

I don't understand the concern on time to boil. The concern for me is how efficient a stove is.

Thom

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++