WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I spoke with Leadville Outdoors and they said they have provided a shuttle to twin lakes on several occasions this year.

Here's a thought. There's a CT/CDT TH near Leadville at the southwestern end of Turquoise Lake. It is only 1 1/2 CT segments north of Twin Lakes. I'll ballpark the additional RT 'stick' mileage at about 45. Instead of confining yourself to the Collegiate Loop only you could do a short stick lollipop hike beginning and/or ending near Lville. In summer it's not hard getting a hitch to this TH and vice versa as Turquoise Lake is quite popular with popular established FS CG's near this TH. If you don't like hitching shuttles can be arranged with Lville Outdoors and Lville Hostel. This way you get to go by Mt Massive and closer/different perspective to Mt Elbert. This is what one Collegiate Loop hiker did who I stayed with at the L Hostel summiting both mountains on his loop turned into a lollipop hike.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Hitched with dog out of Leadville but across from the gas station @ Hwy 50 without dog. I bummed a ride from guy at the simple hostel to Poncha to drop pup back off at kennel after he stayed with me at Simple on second night after I bailed due to weather. I hitched twice quickly from the MC store into Salida....think people felt sorry for me freezing my balls off in my ballet wind pants...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    he he he It wasn't the ballet wind pants. People were willing to pull over because they wanted to hear the story of why you were wearing pink ballet slippers and a backpack.

Easier getting a ride from MC into Salida then Salida back to MC. My experiences were the same.

With the down time in Salida did you hike up to the lookout tower? Night view is spectacular. Makes for a good easy day hike. Or, various rafting kayaking companies could have rented you a boat, shuttled upstream on the Arkansas River, and floated back to Salida all only several blocks from the Simple Hostel. Grab a micro and some slices post hike or float.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    he he he It wasn't the ballet wind pants. People were willing to pull over because they wanted to hear the story of why you were wearing pink ballet slippers and a backpack.

Easier getting a ride from MC into Salida then Salida back to MC. My experiences were the same.

With the down time in Salida did you hike up to the lookout tower? Night view is spectacular. Makes for a good easy day hike. Or, various rafting kayaking companies could have rented you a boat, shuttled upstream on the Arkansas River, and floated back to Salida all only several blocks from the Simple Hostel. Grab a micro and some slices post hike or float.
    Unfortunately no.....first day in Salida was late getting in and HUNGRY....straight to Moonlight pizza...few IPA and a damn good pizza! Second day I bummed ride to MC mid morning and headed back out in the whiteout conditions...should have listened to the sobo CDT hiker who I passed just a mile in....he said your F@&$"!? nuts If you push on as he had just walked through it.......I turned around lil past 5 miles in........got back to Salida and weather was crappy in town also so picked up the pup for the night and just bummed around and went back to Moonlight.....the best pizza I've had! I'll definitely be back to Co......one of these days I'll move out west! In 7 years my son will be off to college......early retirement for sure...my plan is to scale back and retire in 8 years @ 50.......life's to short! To many places to go and see. My wife's nephew has it figured out.......graduated FSU few years back and since then he's....
    Spent a few months on the AT, few months on PCT, biked PCH, bartended in Key West, worked on a dive boat and now he's biking around the world for a few years!!!!

rolling the earth.com is their blog.

There's a chance I'll meet Josh and Jason. Have to mend a broken clavicle and some stitched lacerations from a bicycle accident and overcome a Brown Recluse bite and resulting fatiguing bacterial infection first.

Carpe Diem. Make everyday your Masterpiece.

I like the idea of hitting Elbert and massive on the trip as well. Thanks

I'll probably be out there by Sept 1. If you need a lift around that time send me a message.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Images

Have hitched Salida to Monarch Pass in and out twice with no problems. Also u might check mountain bike shop in Salida. They do shuttles to Monarch so MTBers can joy ride down hill.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Awesome Aaron..... I really appreciate that offer. I am still nailing down my plans but I was looking for August 28 or so , so that Sept 1 might work out. Again-- I appreciate everyone's input on this.

if your hike is next august, i wouldn't get ahead of myself worrying about transportation options now.

In Salida, Chuck who owns Roy's Bottle Shop shuttled me to Monarch Crest. In September, I was the 68th hiker he had taken up the mountain this year. No charge. Great trail angel!

Correction: Roxy's Bottle Shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    In Salida, Chuck who owns Roy's Bottle Shop shuttled me to Monarch Crest. In September, I was the 68th hiker he had taken up the mountain this year. No charge. Great trail angel!
    Wish I new that earlier!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++