WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How to choose trekking poles?

I'm a guy who loves his gear research. From what I can tell, aside from a few options (twist versus snap lock, aluminum vs carbon fiber, antishock or no), all trekking poles are basically the same. Am I missing something? Before I drop the dollars I want to be sure I'm not overlooking some crucial detail.

I'll save you some time: get these, Cascade Mountain Tech quick locks

Best bang for the buck in the Known and Unknown Universe

Images

As you said, so many choices, but really, there are significant differences in a lot of ways.

I much prefer aluminum over carbon, as I've busted two carbon poles, but never an aluminum one. I also prefer as light as possible; consider how many steps on, say, the AT? 5 million. If you pole every step that's, er, 5 million times you raise and set you pole. Light is right!

I find no use whatsoever for the shock thing, and I prefer as large a grip as possible. I don't use straps, so I like a larger grip. (now queue the dudes that say you HAVE to use the straps to use a pole "correctly")

I'm probably in the minority, but I also like a fixed length pole, having settled on pretty much always setting my older, adjustable poles to 130CM, I now use fixed length BD zpoles, they fold up into thirds for easy stowage (and airline travel) and are just the right length also for my zpacks tent support.

Just my 2 cents. Poles seem to be like boots on WB; everyone seems to have a completely different take on them, this is just mine, having used them for about 20 years now.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I like my $100 pair of Black Diamonds, but the differences between a $20 pair and a $100 pair is relatively minimal.

Flick-locks are definitely the better design in my experience.

I think the consensus is that the antishock features are a gimmick. I have two pairs of poles, one has them one doesn't, if For some reason I needed to buy a new set, I would buy one without the feature.

Rubber tips seem to also be another gimmick, the carbide tips are much more trustworthy in my experience.

Most expensive poles have 3 main handle options, rubber, cork, or dense foam. I like the dense foam the best, most people seem to prefer the cork, nobody seems to love the rubber ones.

I use aluminum and don't trust carbon fiber. I simply abuse my poles too much banging or rubbing them into things to trust anything short of metal. Someone will likely chime in to disagree with me on this and their opinions will probably be just as valid.

There are only minor differences between Leki and Black Diamond and both are top notch. Personally I prefer Black Diamon poles, so lkng as they are the standard or light strength models (stay away from their "ultralight" models). Leki supposedly has better customer service. I like to joke that Leki owners say "Lekis are great, when my poles broke the company fixed them for free." and Black Diamond owners say "Black Diamond poles are great, I have no idea how their customer service is because the poles never break."
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Not all trekking poles are the same.

Check out PacerPoles. Very unique and VERY highly recommended. Been using them for well over a decade and will never go back to conventional poles.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Not all trekking poles are the same.

Check out PacerPoles. Very unique and VERY highly recommended. Been using them for well over a decade and will never go back to conventional poles.

http://www.pacerpole.com/
    do the pacerpoles still work as tent poles? I use a lightheart solong.

My $.02, from my experience.

Flick-locks are superior to twist-locks, as they are much less likely to fail.

Anti-shock is useless at best, can be noisy, and is certainly not worth additional cost.

Regarding aluminum vs. carbon and breakage, I have broken both. Aluminum bends, while carbon shatters. I currently use carbon and have had them replaced for free after breaking, but if I were going to pay for a pair I would go for aluminum, as it is certainly more rugged.

I prefer cork handles, don't mind foam, but don't like rubber.

I also like Black Diamond, but not the Z poles, as they are too fragile. Leki makes a good product also, but I have not used them since a twist lock failed on a summit in the Whites.

Another consideration is tip replacement. I went through several sets of tips.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    do the pacerpoles still work as tent poles? I use a lightheart solong.
    I have Pacerpoles and lightheart SoLong 6. Short answer is they work but with asterisks.

The special grip design of PP is not the best to be used in a SoLong but still usable. More importantly the twist lock makes the adjustments to the height of pole ( which depending on weather is needed between zero to 3 times a night ) is a pain in the neck. For this sole reason I switched to snap lock while missing the great convenience of Pacerpole. If they design the PP with snap lock in the future I would go for PP again.

Anti shock, meh: I have a set of carbon poles without and a pair of aluminum with; love the weight of the carbon and don't miss the antishock at all (rei brand) but they do have a catastrophic failure issue(ask me how I know) vs the aluminum that usually just bend. I like the flick lock style adjustment; My poles have flicks for the top section and twist for the lower sections... I try not to mess with the twists for adjustment because I have had them fail on me before. Adjustable height is nice if the length you use for hiking is different that what you might need for a shelter (dual use). Grips are debatable since everyone has their own preference; I use thin mtb gloves so really I cant feen the difference between my cork grips or my foam grips. I do know that I love the shape of the Leki pole grips over anything else I have used, but they are not very ul.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Tip design differs, too. Leki tips are cupped, and grip better IMHO than Komperdell tips. For my money, Lekis are my only choice.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'll add another ballot for lever locks, aluminium, cork grips, no shock absorbers.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Yes, they work fine. I've used them with a Gossemer Gear "The One", with a SMD Wild Oasis, and now with my Z-Packs Solo Plus. No problems.

I have also NEVER had any problem with twist locks. I do exercise them every few days while in use, and clean them once a year or so.
    Last edited by Lyle; 10-26-2016 at 15:14.

The red ones are the fastest.

Thom

I started with a cheap pair and quickly found out I did not like the cheap plastic/rubber grip and the angle it was set at. I upgraded to the Leki Cork Lites and love them for the cork grips that are angled slightly forward.

I do think the flip lock is better than the twist, but not a deal breaker for me.

Anti shock is useless...

I have some BD alpine ergo cork. I have been told cork grips are susceptible to getting chewed by salt craving critters. I have not had this, but not been on a long distance hike. One thing that hasn't been brought up us the strap wuality. My BDs have awesome straps. The ate great poles, but are geavy, so I tried some Fizan compact poles. Aluminum twist locks, but very light. Clever locking device is inside the pole. I found I really liked the light weight.

It's hard to appreciate really light poles until you use them and go back to heavier ones...

Light poles really spoil ya!

I have some 4.3 oz myog CF poles that I've used quite a bit and are still holding up fine. (Elf has seen 'em.) I used my heavier poles (REI/Komperdell Powerlock CF) last weekend for a quick 3-day trip because I needed them to pitch my Duomid, and I really missed my light poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I'll add another ballot for lever locks, aluminium, cork grips, no shock absorbers.
    +1 but would add that many will bend and or break to save your butt and do their most important job. So I would add Customer Service to the List.

For me the Leki Corklite Trekking Poles were the ticket and I have not been disappointed.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    I'm a guy who loves his gear research. From what I can tell, aside from a few options (twist versus snap lock, aluminum vs carbon fiber, antishock or no), all trekking poles are basically the same. Am I missing something? Before I drop the dollars I want to be sure I'm not overlooking some crucial detail.
    Do you want them to collapse small? I like 3 piece because I collapse them and stick in side pockets on pack.

Do you need a certain length for a shelter? Sone are as short as 125 cm, others 145. Many shelters will require extender or rock if too short. Adjustable poles is always good for shelters, sometmes pitch high, sometimes lower for storm mode, flat vs non flat ground, etc.

Some vibrate more than others . Some people find annoying. Sone dont.

Some carbon is fragile. Al can be more robust

How important is weight?
    How important is cost? Reliability?

Grip material preference?
    Strap preference?

Twist or flicklock preference?

Avoid shock absorption gimmicks.

Only you can pick the right poles for you.

I like light, 12oz max, aluminum, adjustable 3 piece poles.
    Not common, not sold in US
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-26-2016 at 21:03.

My Cascade cheapo poles lasted about 550 miles, before a tip wore out. I very much liked them, fit comfortably in my hand, held my 200 lbs plus of weight securely. Only drawback is you have to order replacement tips (lower third section) online and they aren't sold along the trail.

I grabbed a pair of Leki poles at three times the price, because I wanted to get right back on the trail. The straps are this thin silky material that digs into my wrists, especially when wet. Not a fan. I don't notice the shock absorption properties whatsoever.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++