WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sleeping bag - Quilt

This spring I finally purchased a mummy style sleeping bag after years of using a regular tube style bag. But much to my disappointment, I find it too confining. I've never been claustrophobic before but sleeping in it made me feel trapped so I've been using it as a blanket for most of the summer and I must say that I quite like it. I'm not familiar with the use of a quilt but assuming it's a similar set up (except the quilt being smaller than a full sleeping bag) :

1- Do you use anything over your sleeping pad or do you sleep directly on it?

2- What about colder weather? Do you feel cold coming from the ground? And if so, how do you deal with it?

3- Pros and cons?

4- And last but not least... can you purchase a quilt or are they homemade? I've never seen them for sale anywhere.

Any other pertinent information on quilts would be greatly appreciated.

1 - I sleep directly on my pad, although I'm wearing my base layer, so it is not lots (or any) skin on my pad surface.
    2 - Cold weather isn't a big issue. Ground insulation is really only from your pad anyway, so if your pad is sufficient, your fine.
    3 - Pros and cons of what? I sleep with a quilt in the summer. I sleep with my 20* bag used like a quilt in spring and fall. I actually combine my summer quilt with my 20* bag for deep winter . . . along with any other clothing I need when it gets down below 0*F. I've heard people complain of some air getting under the edge of quilts in really cold conditions. I've heard others suggest it is never a problem. I zip my bag in sub zero temps. Haven't really tried only a quilt below zero because I don't have a sub-zero quilt. Quilts give more freedom of movement. The claustrophobia can go away with practice sleeping in your straight jacket bag.
    4 - I'll let a zillion other forum posters share all their favorite quilt makes with you . . . Enlightened Equipment, Z-packs, Thermarest, Jacks R Better . . . the list goes on. No really any good main-stream quilt makers, mostly small cottage makers.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Thanks nsherry61!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    This spring I finally purchased a mummy style sleeping bag after years of using a regular tube style bag. But much to my disappointment, I find it too confining. I've never been claustrophobic before but sleeping in it made me feel trapped so I've been using it as a blanket for most of the summer and I must say that I quite like it. I'm not familiar with the use of a quilt but assuming it's a similar set up (except the quilt being smaller than a full sleeping bag) :

2- What about colder weather? Do you feel cold coming from the ground? And if so, how do you deal with it?

3- Pros and cons?

4- And last but not least... can you purchase a quilt or are they homemade? I've never seen them for sale anywhere.

I will preface this with I owm a 20* Western Moutaineering Alpinelite and an Elightened Equipment 40* Revelation quilt.

1. I sleep directly on my pad but like Sherry I normally wear base layers (or more) except in the mid summer months when I wear clean shorts and a clean t-shirt.

2. While I don't feel cold coming from the ground (proper pad), in my experience and in my opinion (many will disagree), I prefer a bag when it gets cold. I am a furnace in general and especially while sleeping but have been chilled with my quilt at 50 degrees.

3. See above. Pros would be that you can vent and move around much better if you toss and turn in a quilt.

4. Look at Enlightened Equipment, Zpacks, Hammock Gear, etc for quilts. If you can sew, making a quilt should be easy (I do not sew).

Lastly, when I bought the WM bag I looked for one with lots of girth at the shoulders (I'm a decent thickness male) and found it much more comfortable than my previous bags which were a Montbell and North Face Cats Meow.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto post #2. If I'm not wearing a base layer, I put the clothes on the pad and sleep on those. The 30F quilt I bought from enLightened Equipment for a summer trip a few years ago is the best outdoor gear purchase I've made in many years.

One thing I really liked and didn't expect, the quilt never got dirty. Since I never actually slept on it, a few minutes of sunshine once in a while kept it fresh the whole trip and I've never needed to wash it.

Mine is long enough to form a hood over my head, and has snaps on the outer edges to make a sort of cocoon, so it works well that way in drafty conditions.

Ray Jardine sells synthetic quilt kits. Some talented folks make their own, or convert old sleeping bags by removing the hood and zipper. Hopefully Just Bill will chime in with some more info.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Firstly I use Enlightened Equipment quilts I have 2, a 30 F and a 50 F. When Combined with the straps you can buy they give me a rating of 10 F with a weight just on 2 lbs. They come with straps to attach them to the pad which allows you to cinch them closed in cold weather or open them up in warmer weather. They also keep the quilt in place as you move around.

1. I sleep directly on top of an insulated pad usually just in my sleeping clothes. I use an Exped Winterlite R-value 4.9 rated down to 1.4 F but I have never been that low.
    2. Not if you are using an insulated pad suitable for the temperature you're walking in.
    3. with my system, lighter, flexible, side sleeper so less confining. You need to add some sort of head wear as there is no hood. I added one of the hoods from EE.
    4. Do a search on hiking quilts there a heaps of manufacturers. Enlightened Equip, ZPacks, Hammock Gear to name a few. Search here http://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-gear-directory-2/
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Another advocate for EE quilts. I too have their double strap system for quilt layering. I am a toss and turner, quilts suit me best. I sleep in light base layers on top of my BA Q-CoreSL.

Cold weather requires a good r value pad, head covering, and perhaps synthetic booties. Quilts are less efficient in terms of minimizing the volume of airspace to be heated, a tapered mummy is more efficient. EE's strap system is pretty good at cinching down the quilt around your bod. Quilts are less ideal for very low temps but they do excel at providing comfort over a wider range of temperatures. EE's Revelation can go from a open blanket configuration to an enclosed footbox with a loose mid to top section to a fully enclosed cocoon.

I was looking into a quilt because my 0 degree down bag is bulky and heavy. 650 fill, 4 lbs.
    The EE quilts look great, and are raved about, so the website got put in my bookmarks.
    I recently met a guy who has thru-hiked, and I picked his brain about this and that. I told him about my bag and that I was thinking of switching to a quilt, and he told me that he couldn't stay warm in cold weather with a quilt because it was drafty. That made me really think. I do a lot of tossing and turning during the night and a sleep system that didn't zip closed... I have my doubts (worries, fears) about.

I'm a happy camper switching by out a Marmot helium 15* mummy bag to a 20* EE enigma... lil less warmth but way more versatile as also have a 45* JRB quilt to layer for winter...way warmer and same wt.....all my jackets already have hoods so didn't need anything that wouldn't already carry.....patagoochie Houdini and cap 4 hoody, OR Helium 2, montbell UL down parka, micro dome beenie and buff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EE customer service is top notch!

I have an Underground Quilt. Another great brand not yet mentioned. I also observed that the original poster had never seen quilts for sale anywhere. As pointed out this is a product made mostly by small cottage companies and not generally available in retail store. I would suggest that the same is true of other gear - tents, packs, stoves, etc... if you are not checking out these small companies you may miss out on some of the best and most innovative gear options.

3- Pros and cons?

1. Right on the pad. I tried using a cover but found I had to fiddle with it too much.

2. No. Key is just preventing drafts. The elastic straps which Enlightened Equipment provides with their quilts are great for this....it also lets you vent if you're getting hot.

3. Super light, versatile. I'm having a hard time thinking of a con - here's one: They don't cover your head, so you'll need a hat.

4. Purchase. I have quilts from Enlightened Equipment and Loco Libre. They're both excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    1 - I sleep directly on my pad, although I'm wearing my base layer, so it is not lots (or any) skin on my pad surface.
    2 - Cold weather isn't a big issue. Ground insulation is really only from your pad anyway, so if your pad is sufficient, your fine.
    3 - Pros and cons of what? I sleep with a quilt in the summer. I sleep with my 20* bag used like a quilt in spring and fall. I actually combine my summer quilt with my 20* bag for deep winter . . . along with any other clothing I need when it gets down below 0*F. I've heard people complain of some air getting under the edge of quilts in really cold conditions. I've heard others suggest it is never a problem. I zip my bag in sub zero temps. Haven't really tried only a quilt below zero because I don't have a sub-zero quilt. Quilts give more freedom of movement. The claustrophobia can go away with practice sleeping in your straight jacket bag.
    4 - I'll let a zillion other forum posters share all their favorite quilt makes with you . . . Enlightened Equipment, Z-packs, Thermarest, Jacks R Better . . . the list goes on. No really any good main-stream quilt makers, mostly small cottage makers.
    Addressing the highlighted text - I think this is 100% a width issue from people/manufacturers trying to shave too many ounces. I'm a big guy and ordered a wide quilt - I've never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Addressing the highlighted text - I think this is 100% a width issue from people/manufacturers trying to shave too many ounces. I'm a big guy and ordered a wide quilt - I've never had a problem.
    yep,been my experience, too

Thanks guys! Using my mummy as a blanket/quilt on short hikes is working well for now but for a longer hike it would be nice to find an actual quilt to save space and weight in my pack. I'll be checking out the websites you all recommended.

. . . it would be nice to find an actual quilt to save space and weight in my pack. . .
    Don't set your expectations too high. A quilt of similar quality (fill and shell fabric) to your sleeping bag will not save all that much weight and volume, maybe 10-15%.

The big difference is quilts are more comfortable to sleep under in many conditions and also simpler and less expensive to make while being, yes, a little bit lighter and smaller volume.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

A quilt and sleeping bag open are the same thing basically. The sleeping bag is just wider and probably has wasted width
    Some people like the cords to tie the quilt down, so you can experiment with that in colder weather, but I don't find them to be beneficial
    I have a hammock gear burrow 20. It's good for me at about 30f with an average base layer, and I can easily go to 15-20f with a light puffy and a cap on (sleeping pad value is 4). When it gets a bit colder, I am going to add in my 1 lb costco down throw ($20!) and see if it works out.
    The only thing I don't like about my quilt is the horizontal baffles. The down tends to work its way toward the sides of the quilt, and I often have to optimize it before I go to sleep... which is a bit annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    A quilt and sleeping bag open are the same thing basically. The sleeping bag is just wider and probably has wasted width
    Some people like the cords to tie the quilt down, so you can experiment with that in colder weather, but I don't find them to be beneficial
    I have a hammock gear burrow 20. It's good for me at about 30f with an average base layer, and I can easily go to 15-20f with a light puffy and a cap on (sleeping pad value is 4). When it gets a bit colder, I am going to add in my 1 lb costco down throw ($20!) and see if it works out.
    The only thing I don't like about my quilt is the horizontal baffles. The down tends to work its way toward the sides of the quilt, and I often have to optimize it before I go to sleep... which is a bit annoying
    Another reason I chose EE instead....vertical baffles

Journal Entries

Only a problem if underfilled to start with
    Best sleeping bags in world have........horizontal baffles

Some quiltmakers underfill in order to vie for lightest. EE did this, also reduced length, till found out it was too short and began making longerbagain.

Flat footboxes such as sewn by lazy quiltmakers like EE and zpacks are a joke. Not suitable unless turn on side. These quilts severly lack foot insulation, and what the have thins if lay on back. Drawstring footboxes dont have problem.

Quilts used to be 50" wide and for hammocks. Today people get extra widebones that have little savings over a bag, and dint work nearly as wrll whe temp actually gets cold.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-27-2016 at 12:40.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Only a problem if underfilled to start with
    Best sleeping bags in world have........horizontal baffles

Some quiltmakers underfill in order to vie for lightest. EE did this, also reduced length, till found out it was too short and began making longerbagain.

Flat footboxes such as sewn by lazy quiltmakers like EE and zpacks are a joke. Not suitable unless turn on side. These quilts severly lack foot insulation, and what the have thins if lay on back.
    I wear size 12-13 shoe, stomach and back sleeper.....didn't notice foot box being tight...I also got a long wide 20* enigma 21 oz according to tag...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++