WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dumb noob question

I am always been a tent camper but in an effort to expand my own knowledge base I want to experience a few short hammock trips next spring. I have the hammock linked below that i bought for car camping. The weight seems pretty much the same as the ENO hammocks I see people using. Is there an argument to NOT use this one for backpacking? Is the material less durable? I have zero knowledge base on hammock camping and just looking for a launching point to start my education.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lots of hammock options. Just make sure you have insulation for under you - a pad or an underquilt. Nothing like a cold night camping. Check out HammockForums. Lots of info there. You might also want a tarp. Lots of things to consider besides just the hammock. That one looks fine to me.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

In addition to the tarp, the AT corridor still gets pretty chilly at night in the spring. With hammocks you'll need something to reflect your heat back, sleeping bags don't normally cut it. The old school cheapo method is an insulated foam sleeping pad. More expensive but effective solution is called an underquilt.

I have a Zsol that I was planning on trying to cradle up inside, and a top quilt for warmth. For my first trip id plan to go when rain wasnt in the forecast. Im looking forward to testing the loadout, but have to be honest and say that it does seem like it will increase my base weight by at least a pound. Id carry the pad and top quilt anyways, but the weight of a hammock, straps and tarp will always seem to weigh more than my current shelter (hmg echo ii).

Not a terrible option if you are just starting, but there better and lighter options out there. At 105" that hammock is only 8.75ft long...that is REALLY short for a hammock. Most people want at least a 10ft, preferably 11ft long for a flat, comfortable lay.

Check out Dutch's hammocks over at dutchwaregear.com for some well-priced and light-weight hammocks and gear.

But also check out the Hammock Forums...they are a wealthy of knowledge.

Images

It's not the ideal backpacking hammock but a good starter hammock that allows you to upgrade later. Look at getting an underquilt rated for 40 degrees to hook to your ridgeline.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

This is really sort of a 'ditto' to the above, perhaps just phrased differently:
    At ~$20, you purchased a cheap hammock. Serious hammock campers are going to opt for something more expensive.

But hey, you now own it, so go use it. Plan a short weekend trip to just get started. Setting up camp with a hammock is different for setting up camp with a tent. So even with a less than ideal hammock, there is still valuble things to learn, things you would still need to learn even if you had a better quality hammock.

So get out there and camp!

I agree with HooKooDooKu, don't over think it. Starting with less expensive gear, there really isn't inexpensive backpacking gear, will allow you to make mistakes or change your mind with out major financial penalties.

Buy it, use it, change it, use it, change it and hide the cast offs from your wife.

I just put my regular sleeping pad in my hammock when it's cold. I use a 15* top quilt. Wind is the biggest issue when learning on the cheap, make sure you set up your tarp for best protection from fridged wind.

Section Hiker

Two GREAT sources of hammock info, especially if you're a beginner:

Website/book The Ultimate Hang: http://theultimatehang.com/

Shug Emery on YourTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Happy hanging!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I highly recommend, that you sleep in your backyard with whatever setup you are going to use. Do this more than once. You will be amazed at how much cooler sleeping in a hammock is. Note the temperature and what you used. Then do it again...and again. It actually takes practice to get the right "hang", but once you do...you won't ever want to go back to the hard, lumpy, uneven ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dhagan View Post
    I highly recommend, that you sleep in your backyard with whatever setup you are going to use. Do this more than once. You will be amazed at how much cooler sleeping in a hammock is. Note the temperature and what you used. Then do it again...and again. It actually takes practice to get the right "hang", but once you do...you won't ever want to go back to the hard, lumpy, uneven ground.
    I agree. I have been hammock camping for a few years and I am still fine tuning it. Just ordered some parts from dutchwaregear.com based off what I learned going through shug emery's you tube archives.

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    Two GREAT sources of hammock info, especially if you're a beginner:

Website/book The Ultimate Hang: http://theultimatehang.com/

Shug Emery on YourTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Happy hanging!
    +1 on both accounts. I would also add that it is a great opportunity to experiment with your hang in your backyard, assuming you have one. I have slept in my yard quite a few times. Those close-to-a-bail-out nights gave me the confidence to get out in the woods with my setup. Now, I won't go to ground unless I am forced to. The hammock is so much more comfortable IMO. Good luck getting started. Make sure to watch hours of Shug. He is entertaining for sure, but in addition he offers more information about the subject in one spot, totally free and very reliable, than anywhere else outside the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Macpaks View Post
    +1 on both accounts. I would also add that it is a great opportunity to experiment with your hang in your backyard, assuming you have one. I have slept in my yard quite a few times. Those close-to-a-bail-out nights gave me the confidence to get out in the woods with my setup. Now, I won't go to ground unless I am forced to. The hammock is so much more comfortable IMO. Good luck getting started. Make sure to watch hours of Shug. He is entertaining for sure, but in addition he offers more information about the subject in one spot, totally free and very reliable, than anywhere else outside the forums.
    Entertaining? Shug? That guy is so dull and monotone. He really needs to come out of his shell and get a personality..lol

Journal Entries
    Images

I would second a cheap dutch hammock. He ships as fast as amazon. I'm one of those guys that spent a lot on my setup. But for me it was worth it.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

When I first started hammock camping I had a cheap eno, I would bring it along with my tent and regular ground gear so I could try it out but still go to ground if needed. I only needed to do this once to realize this is how I wanted to camp! As far as the weight difference between your ground gear and the hammock gear, once you decide you like hanging there are just as many ultralight options for all your hanging needs as there are for ground dwelling. Use what you have now and then start making wish lists!!

There are so many cottage vendors out there for hammocking. Even more "mainstream" ones such as EE. I ordered my hammock and bugnet from The Bearded Hanger, got an underquilt from Arrowhead Equipment, and a tarp from Simply Light Designs. All three are very helpful and will respond to any questions you have, and the worksmanship on all four is top-notch. Can't recommend them enough. Other good hammock makers are Warbonnet, Dutchware, and Wilderness Logics (I'm probably forgetting some, but those are the only others off the top of my head I know who make hammocks). There are lots of options around, and you'll likely get a larger, lighter, and cheaper hammock than anything from ENO. Plus, you can support a small cottage business and feel good about yourself!

++ New Posts ++