WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    There must've been at one time unless a bunch of guys hand carried the tower to the top.
    When I was in HS we mock built shelters at the school and when finished took down. They used a helo to get it to the site where we built them.

Journal Entries
    Images

If anyone confirms this please post a link. A few good carpenters could rebuild that observation deck in a day. The frame is steel with concrete supports. There is no road, and climbing out of Tellico Gap is a little steep. That's a shame though. I was there back in April and glad I hit it on a day where I could see for miles.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Journal Entries

I first saw a report that it had burnt down on Facebook, which was then discussed here in this thread. Personally, I'd consider WB to have better information than FB, but anyway... So just now I gooooooogled it, and came up with this. Where are they getting their information?

https://www.romanticasheville.com/wesser_bald_tower.htm

Excerpt:
    November 2016 Update: Great news! The tower survived the forest fire, contrary to earlier reports.
    The 30-foot tall tower atop Wesser Bald, North Carolina, on the Appalachian Trail provides 360-degree mountain views of the Nantahala National Forest and the Great Smoky Mountains. The original tower was built 1936 by the Civilian Conversation Corps as a live-in lookout. The live-in cab was destroyed by arson in 1979 and replaced in the early 1990s by the USFS with the current observation deck for hikers...

Images

I saw it posted on facebook then I went here to see if anyone could confirm...

and today on Facebook as well---someone posted pictures of them going up it last night...

Images

And yeah---likewise came here to see if anyone had better info...

Thx for updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is truly said! I'm glad I got to take my daughter up to this AWESOME lookout! I hope it is rebuilt for many more to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Albert Mnt Tower is made of steel..
    When the forest around a metal tower burns, the metal becomes overstressed from the heat and load and can/will buckle or otherwise fail. Of course, the metal didn't burn...jeez....

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    If anyone confirms this please post a link. A few good carpenters could rebuild that observation deck in a day. The frame is steel with concrete supports. There is no road, and climbing out of Tellico Gap is a little steep. That's a shame though. I was there back in April and glad I hit it on a day where I could see for miles.
    Would want to get the steel inspected also. Steel is not as fire resistant as most think.
    Heavy timber construction is more fire resistant than steel framed construction.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    On a different site, someone was saying that Wesser Bald observation tower burnt down due to the wildfire in that area....

can anyone confirm this? Or give me more info?
    Sure. No pic = didn't happen.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

You have a problem with the word "change," do you?

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    So, three years ago when record rainfall flooded Nantahala causing trail and road closures from washouts and landslides were you on WhiteBlaze touting this scientific study: http://link.springer.com/article/10....584-015-1434-y , or was that also a waste of your time to explain that to Easterners?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

So, three years ago when record rainfall flooded Nantahala causing trail and road closures from washouts and landslides were you on WhiteBlaze touting this scientific study: http://link.springer.com/article/10....584-015-1434-y , or was that also a waste of your time to explain that to Easterners?
    Um, three years ago, I was on the CDT--thanks for your interest in my whereabouts!

As for your study, anyone who has spent even 5 minutes reading up on climate change knows that the models are calling for all sorts of more extreme weather--more extreme rainfall, more extreme heat waves, more extreme droughts, yadda yadda. I just focused on drought here because we're talking about fires.

How many erroneous conclusions can people jump to without any facts to support those conclusions?
    The latest posts above don't include the recent information that all of this talk about the observation deck being destroyed is pure conjecture.
    This is worse than the NYT and WP reporting.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    Alright---lets get back on track---

someone posted some photos of the tower which they climbed up last night...

so apparently it has NOT burned down....
    Umm...how did they get to the tower? I thought that section of the AT was closed to hikers?

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Um, three years ago, I was on the CDT--thanks for your interest in my whereabouts!

As for your study, anyone who has spent even 5 minutes reading up on climate change knows that the models are calling for all sorts of more extreme weather--more extreme rainfall, more extreme heat waves, more extreme droughts, yadda yadda. I just focused on drought here because we're talking about fires.
    I can tell you are/were from Mass.

The photo I posted was from July.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    You have a problem with the word "change," do you?
    No, I have a problem with those that want to “politely educate” me that they have irrefutablescientific proof that the Nantahala National Forest will not remain “unspoiled”from wildfire and that I should ”getused to it”, [“So, evenif precipitation doesn't change, drought will be more common. And so willfires. Enjoy the areas that are still unspoiled while you can. They probablywon't be unspoiled for long.”], when there are others who tell methat they have scientific proof that flash floods will ruin the Nantahala NationalForest.So, in order to “get use to it”, when I gobackpacking should I wear my fire proximity suit over my scuba diving equipmentor vice versa?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

No, I have a problem with those that want to “politely educate” me that they have irrefutablescientific proof that the Nantahala National Forest will not remain “unspoiled”from wildfire and that I should ”getused to it”, [“So, evenif precipitation doesn't change, drought will be more common. And so willfires. Enjoy the areas that are still unspoiled while you can. They probablywon't be unspoiled for long.”], when there are others who tell methat they have scientific proof that flash floods will ruin the Nantahala NationalForest.So, in order to “get use to it”, when I gobackpacking should I wear my fire proximity suit over my scuba diving equipmentor vice versa?
    Like I said above, you'll probably both want the fire shelter and the scuba gear. It's not contradictory for more than one type of extreme weather to increase at the same time.

More here: https://www.epa.gov/climate-change-s...xtreme-weather

"...when I go backpacking should I wear my fire proximity suit over my scuba diving equipment vice versa?" I say a flame retardant Dive Skin is all you'd need.

The forest will likely recover but no one is saying they have a magical scientific crystal ball detailing when, how, to what extent, etc that will happen or are defining "recovered" to be exactly as you remembered it.

The fire sure can be viewed as a loss especially to those affected locally but it can also be seen as renewal and change and what will happen as the human population increasingly exponentially expands.

Gotta get ready for global warming, the Apocalypse, Zombies, alien invasion, collapse of the dollar, a new leadership, and a new paradigm, the AT post Nov 2016 Cohutta Wilderness Rough Ridge fire assimilated.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    It's not contradictory for more than one type of extreme weather to increase at the same time.
    So, this is the best you got? Let me get this straight: We have spent a gazillion dollars on university research only to PROVE that there is going to be change, but we don't know in which direction? Why didn't someone just go over to the philosophy department where they would have told you for free that the only absolute is that there are no absolutes? Or, to put it another way:

Two angst-ridden millennials are hiking up the AT. One hiker is a liberal arts grad (probably unemployed) and says, "Something bad is about to happen; I can feel it, but I don't know what it is. The second hiker, a science grad (probably living off of a government research grant), says "Something bad is about to happen; I have already proved it, but I don't know what it is."

I am glad that I hike alone.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++