WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Similar to Crocs but 1/2 the price

Just to let everyone in on a little deal. I found a pair of camp shoes today at Payless for $14.99. The shoes are Airwalk brand. Very, very lightweight. You may want to check it out.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

"Very, very lightweight" means doesn't mean very much. Could you go to the trouble of weighing and reporting the size? Thanks!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I have these Airwalks from Payless, and paid the same price. I'll agree that they're very lightweight, and I'll weigh them to back that up on Tuesday. Much less than Crocs by probably 1/4 or more. But I'll weigh them on very accurate scales asap.

And they're comfortable, too. I may go back to Payless and see if I can find some that aren't blaze orange like the ones I got before (last ones my size that weren't pink).

Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

It's difficult to leave those blaze orange shoes behind when leaving camp. You'd have to be blind or totally hung over.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The local Wal-Mart has some croc knock-offs for $6.88 US in neon green and canary yellow. I only saw women's sizes.

Default I like my Crocs, except for one, BIG thing...

The straps came off in nothing flat. It's not just this pair; I had one pair before them, and it did the same thing. If a knockoff had stronger strap-to-shoe connections, I'd choose it over the originals without even looking at the price.

BTW, I saw Croc knockoffs in a local discount shoe store (where I was buying a pair of NB 808s) for about 17.00 just a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    BTW, I saw Croc knockoffs in a local discount shoe store (where I was buying a pair of NB 808s) for about 17.00 just a week ago.
    That's interesting... in 2003 Waldies (the predecessor to Crocs) only cost $17 postpaid just before the Crocs fad began. Then when Crocs came out, they went to $40 overnight. Go figure...

The weight of size 10M/12W is 279.3 grams for the pair for the Airwalk brand that Payless sells for about $15.

The right is 141.14g and the left is 138.1g.

I don't have any Crocs to compare that weight to, so you figure out if it's lighter or not. Having held both in my hand, though, I'm confident that these weight 2/3 as much or less. Maybe my coworker will be wearing her Crocs today... I'll have to check.

I love these shoes, too.. the first time I wore them my feet kicked out a little farther than usual because they are so light. Honestly, it's like they're lighter than being barefoot.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Thanks for the info, MisterSweetie.

For those of us who are metric-challenged, 279.3 grams is equivalent to 9.852 ounces (see: http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/weight).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    Thanks for the info, MisterSweetie.

For those of us who are metric-challenged, 279.3 grams is equivalent to 9.852 ounces (see: http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/weight).
    or 4.87133415 oz if you want to carry only the left shoe.

I have a pair of Crocs @ 10.8 ounces for the pair.

Word of caution on the cheaper kind...they are definately cheaper material, and tend to be stinkier after being worn. I've noticed that they wear substantially faster than whatever they make crocs out of. I like the strap on there as well...maybe an extra ounce or two...but I've found them helpful for steep downhills for water at the end of the day - less chance for a twisted ankle. And they are sweet to kneel on as well.

Copying is the highest form of flattery.....so I'll bet on the crocs. Got mine for 29.99 - this was the standard price after I shopped at several stores.
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Question crocs etal

Are these suitable for fording streams with a sustantial current or will they be torn off one's feet? I mean when lifting one's feet over the rocks etc. Any experiences out there?

Thanks

FWIW, my M12-13 Crocs weigh 12.87 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally
    Are these suitable for fording streams with a sustantial current or will they be torn off one's feet? I mean when lifting one's feet over the rocks etc. Any experiences out there?

Thanks
    These have a heel strap, so I'd wear them comfortably doing whatever I wanted to. I would not be worried about them slipping off. The heel strap is "hinged" and so I usually don't wear them with the strap, but could if I needed to.

At half the price and a couple of ounces less, I can deal with the material being different from Crocs. If it is in fact less quality, I'll just use these up and buy a new pair later.

Images

Default Another Alternative To Crocs

I have rethought the Croc issue. I used mine for fording streams only and not so much as a camp shoe. I just ordered these and will report in on weight when they arrive. I looked at them at the local REI and they seem lighter than Crocs.

BTW Crocs have several models which accounts for some of the weight differences other posters are listing.

Here is the site with a sale price:

Teva Water Shoe: http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?item...ProductID=2752

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

Images

crocs and waldies suck neo

mattydt20

The Waldies don't have a heel strap and I have no problem walking in them.

I like my crocs.....wouldn't trade them for anything else.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I got my fake Crocs at Payless in the fall at their after-summer clearance for 4 bucks. They are neon pink, yeah! We'll see how they hold up.

For now I'll spend money on what I really need - like a better lightweight synthetic sleeping bag.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie
    The weight of size 10M/12W is 279.3 grams for the pair for the Airwalk brand that Payless sells for about $15.

The right is 141.14g and the left is 138.1g.

I don't have any Crocs to compare that weight to, so you figure out if it's lighter or not. Having held both in my hand, though, I'm confident that these weight 2/3 as much or less. Maybe my coworker will be wearing her Crocs today... I'll have to check.
    Thanks for weighing the shoes. After wearing my heavy boots all day I'm sure any shoe would feel like air. Can't wait to enjoy them at the end of a tough day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++