WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Have you hiked any of the BMT?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default berninbush

I just got back about 3 weeks ago from a long backpacking trip along the Fodderstack section of the B Mac and I thought of you and the previous directions I gave you which, of course, got changed right before your visit. It is almost too complex to decipher and there is not yet a current map to make sense of the number changes at Cold Spring Gap but you pretty much got it right in your last post. Trail 95 was just rerouted and has become the entire Benton MacKaye trail in this area and the old upward 95 going to the Bald has been renumbered to match the Stratton Bald's number, 54. For B Mackers the trail stays on 95 as the trailposts say(along with "2" on the posts)and it's hard to get lost.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Tipi, I was meaning to thank you for the advice... even though the numbers got changed, the route you recommended was great! And like I said, we figured it out.

I'm pretty certain that the place where we camped wasn't Snow Camp, although I thought it was when we set up. Embarrassing to admit, but I was tired when we got there, and I thought the sharp south bend in the trail was the place where the BMT met up with the former Fodderstack. I failed to notice until the next morning that the trail did not actually continue north past our campsite, and that there was no signpost indicating that the BMT turned north. We would have discovered the mistake sooner if we'd gone through with the plan of continuing to Bob Stratton Bald, of course, but we decided not to, and it was a good thing since it started pouring rain soon after we got our gear inside the tent! Anyway, whatever that site is called, it was a nice camping spot.

I'm curious about a couple of things: how far is Snow Camp from Cherry Log Gap on the NFS map? (According to your directions, it's some distance to the south, but the BMTA map shows the BMT rejoining the old Fodderstack at Cherry Log Gap.) And what are they now calling the section of the old Fodderstack between Snow Camp and the trail to Bob Stratton Bald? Unfortunately, I won't get back over there to hike any time soon since I live too far away, but I was just curious.

Default berninbush

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush
    Tipi, I was meaning to thank you for the advice... even though the numbers got changed, the route you recommended was great! And like I said, we figured it out.

I'm curious about a couple of things: how far is Snow Camp from Cherry Log Gap on the NFS map? (According to your directions, it's some distance to the south, but the BMTA map shows the BMT rejoining the old Fodderstack at Cherry Log Gap.) And what are they now calling the section of the old Fodderstack between Snow Camp and the trail to Bob Stratton Bald? Unfortunately, I won't get back over there to hike any time soon since I live too far away, but I was just curious.
    After reading your trip report it took me a minute to figure your camping spot but I'm pretty sure you set up on the left side of the trail in an open site with a small fire ring and near a little creek full of birch trees. Had you continued another half mile up the trail you would've reached Snow Camp and the junction with the original Fodderstack trail as it turns left and north and right and up to Stratton Bald. There is another trailpost here.
    Cherry Log Gap is not where the new B Mac connector comes out at but it is close, I would say Snow Camp is just .2 to .3 miles south from the gap where there is yet another trailpost showing the North Fork Citico trail #98 descending to the left.

Snow Camp is a big open camp full of hemlock trees and a very large hardwood tree in the center of the camp that is partially hollow with a large root system exposed along the ground around it.
    I'm glad you made the effort and the drive to visit Beech Gap and the trails in this area. By the way, the old Fodderstack from Snow Camp up to the Bald is now designated #54A, I think.

Red face Thru-hiking starting December 15th

Hey Wookie (it's Joanna from trail days 2005 "cough cough") I am leaving December 15 and planning on taking a little under a month to hike the entire trail---oooo it's going to be chilly! How many females have thru-hiked the entire completed trail?

Good luck on your hike, I spent two nights on section 10 this weekend, and the full moon and clear skies were glorious. I could see Copperhill, TN and McCraysville, GA at night. Parked at Dally Gap, and hiked Hemp Top to BMT, then back tracked up the hill from Spanish Oak Gap to the top. Very nice! I noticed the trail sign for Penitentiary Branch is down, and it was up a month ago?
    Don

tideblazer
    Images

Wow- still only 2 thru's? It can't be!
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

I hiked the first 93 miles in May 05 before the connectors for the middle section were complete. I intend to finish the rest in May and June this year.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

I am just a few miles from the TN line while sectioning GA.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    I' hiked the original 93 miles last year and will hike the middle section this year.
    Update!!!! I've completed it. I did have to roadwalk a 2 mile section starting at the cemetary because of a dog...but I'm guessing it was about the same milage.

So, put a fork in me...I'm done.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

I think I remember Billy Goat and Captain America say they thru-hiked it. If I recall correctly, I was told it's similar to the AT in terms of scenery and the ups and downs.

of Hatman and Happy Feet GAME '01 Happy Feet's Avatar
    Images

Hatman and I had hiked the Georgia section several times, then the middle (TN/NC) section once, then a complete southbound thru hike in the fall of 2005, shortly after the grand opening. The only people we saw were a couple groups in the Smokys, then some folks down by Springer when it joined the AT. The rest of the trip was wonderfully and gloriously lonely!

Yes, Billy Goat and Captain America did thru hike it. We delivered their maildrop to them near the TN/GA border, and Mawee and Pawee took them home with them for some incredible magic!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++