WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I ever see that big green monster in Slick Rock I'm stopping by for lunch.

Might even get me to talk UL philosophy too.

We carried naans that kept up to six days. Great warmed over stove, and consumed with mayo & salami, or with lots of peanut butter.

Naan. Of course. Thanks!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

These flat skiny sandwich rounds can take a lot more abuse than regular breads.

skinnys.jpg

Hitch
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

My parents, both immigrants, used to refer derisively to Wonder Bread as "cotton bread." Highlight of the week was a run to the Kosher deli for a loaf of rye bread fresh out of the oven, and my sister and I would fight for the heel slices.

We used to call wonder bread, glue bread, because it glued itself to the roof of our mouths. Hated that stuff.

I wonder if I can find Ezekial bread up here? I'm ok with Artisan crackers or whole wheat sandwich wraps in most cases.

Too bad that a loaf of bread, or bread in general, is one of the least nutritious foods that you could every bring on a hike. Your body thinks it is sugar, which is energy but has no nutritive value. Empty calories. Adding jelly doesn't help much...

Processed bread like wonder bread is crap. Whole grain breads are pretty good. Good fiber, low glycemic carbs, some protein. Good stuuf with a chunk of cheese and fruit and a bottle of wine.

Note to self: Keep safe distance from hikers with food hanging from their packs while in bear country.
    Alice: This is impossible.
    The Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.

I used to carry the very dense rye and pumpernickel breads that are pre sliced a little more than 1/4 inch thick. They did crumble on impact with anything, including the inside of the pack.
    Now I am trying bagels and crackers. How about dense rolls?

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
    Note to self: Keep safe distance from hikers with food hanging from their packs while in bear country.
    Note to self: Don't worry about food hanging from packs in bear country... Bears can smell the food in packs just as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Naan will work, as will a variety of flat breads including pita. I made the first pita I ever saw in my parents kitchen at the age of 18 or so, in an attempt to find a bread that would pack. The pita inflates as it bakes in a very hot oven and the come out looking like balloons. I was so fascinated it ate the whole batch and it never saw the trail.
    BTW ever earlier than this, about the age of 16 or so, I hit on the idea of bonding granola (which was extremely new at the time and largely limited to make it yourself hippies like me); I whipped egg whites until frothy, mixed in the granola and molded it in a hamburger press, baked until firmed up. I may have invented the granola bar, or excuse me, the granola hockey puck.

Images

Most any loaf of store bread ( not bakery bread) will last more than a week.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmountainguy View Post
    Naan will work, as will a variety of flat breads including pita. I made the first pita I ever saw in my parents kitchen at the age of 18 or so, in an attempt to find a bread that would pack. The pita inflates as it bakes in a very hot oven and the come out looking like balloons. I was so fascinated it ate the whole batch and it never saw the trail.
    BTW ever earlier than this, about the age of 16 or so, I hit on the idea of bonding granola (which was extremely new at the time and largely limited to make it yourself hippies like me); I whipped egg whites until frothy, mixed in the granola and molded it in a hamburger press, baked until firmed up. I may have invented the granola bar, or excuse me, the granola hockey puck.
    made some Naan last week, so easy so good...it didn't stick around long with my crew.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have mostly used the bread that I know to be successful, naan or other flatbreads (although tortillas shred almost as you pack them), but I bet a hearty artesian bread would work if packed in a tight bag. I bet it would survive even when pre-sliced. Note that on the trail, good breads are increasingly available at places like Price Chopper and even Aldis. I will try something of the sort now that I am thinking of it.

Bagels are a mainstay for me. You can get whatever kind you want fresh in Jersey. I don't typically have them longer than 3 days. Hard rolls can take a beating too. Sourdough can hold up too. You could go with the Lender's Bagels if you wanted a smaller bagel but I feel like I would be insulting your gastronomic tastes considering your location. Anything crusty baguettes, rolls, French bread, hit the bakery section. I love having extra bakery bread for dinner. Stick it in the kids' packs, it's light, you're going to be carrying extra gear your self Sherman Dad. Bring some pork roll and fry it up!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I have some but not extensive experience with bagels. I advised a thru hiker last February (he started from Georgia in December...no stove or cookset!) to try bagels that were on sale. He did. The are calorically dense and nearly indestructible. Buy the chain brands rather than locally baked ones. The ones frozen or in the sliced bread area will last more than a week if kept sealed. It would be great food for a thru hiker, esp. if he/she did not cook frequently. Chip Rawlins says he heats one in a pan each morning and adds peanut butter an jam. Spreadable cheeses would work for those wanting less sweets.

I have a pertinent update relevant to this thread with the necessary pics. On my last December trip I decided to pack in 3 types of grain "breads"---two loaves of Ezekiel and one rice cake package.

Here's my bread bag on Day 1 of the trip---this bag hangs off a carabiner off the back of my pack.

Here are the necessary contents of the bread sac---BREAD!

Here is Day's 2 sandwich with eggless mayo and vegan cheese with sliced baked tofu---lunch.

By Day 14 of the trip my sandwiches started to look like this. Oops. Solution? Place all bread pieces in your cook pot, add mayo and tempeh/tofu and sliced cheese and mix thoroughly---eat sandwich with a spoon.

You might give Dr. Kracker Crispbread a try for weeks 2 & 3.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I've done supermarket whole wheat breads with good results. The trick is to open the bag, then press down so that all the air comes out. You'll compress a loaf into a few inches, then you can peel the slices apart later (really, it works).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++