WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

FYI a warbonnet blackbird will fit two people and will tolerate significant bouncing..........then sleeping is better anyway....
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

I don't "winter hike" as I really don't like that much cold and it gets cold enough in the Whites the rest of the year. But, I hike with my hubby so we never seem to run out of things to do on long nights or any other!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnchair View Post
    I've been wondering about that myself. I plan on leaving Harper's Ferry WVA on a SOBO flip flop on March 1, 2017. So, I will likely be alone a good bit of the time and it will likely be cold for the first month. Given that the Shenandoah Park is going to be closed, I wonder how hard it will be to get into towns for resupply. And recharge of the battery in the phone. And a hot shower. And...

PS, I will be 66 and on my first overnight hike. So, newbie to boot. Just weighed 5 days' food at 3,000 cal/day (I'm 6'3): 144 oz! Yipes. That's 9 pounds! 4 lbs of H2O. My goal of under 30 lbs total looks like it's gonna be closer than I thought.

Other than "you are too old" or "you should not do that" - both of which I get a lot - any suggestions?
    First, you are NOT too old----and you definitely should do that since it will improve your health both physical and mental.

Second, March 20 is the vernal (spring) equinox when the sun starts shining 12 hours and longer each day. However, just because it's spring doesn't mean than old man winter has given up. You should expect some snow and perhaps carry an emergency meal of a pack of Idahoans (instant mashed potatoes) in case you have to or want to take an unplanned zero in the woods while a spring snow storm melts. I hiked the Allegheny Trail starting in mid-March and realized what I thought would be an early spring hike starting on March 15 was actually a late winter hike when I wound up hiking in snow as well as cold, all-day rain. I experienced 18" of wet snow on April 22 in central PA on the Mid-State Trail and decided to take a zero in my tent (an SMD Wild Oasis which held up amazingly well if I slapped the snow off the sides periodically) to wait for most of the snow to melt.

That brings me around to answering the OP's question: I mostly slept, or listened to my MP3 player or radio to pass the time. If I had a book on the MP3 player I would have read that. When the days are really short (Nov thru mid-Feb), I carry extra headlamp batteries and try to be on the trail as soon as it's light enough to see the trail and to hike until dusk or even a bit after dark, although I prefer to find a camp spot (or shelter) and to fetch water for dinner, breakfast, and tomorrow as soon as I've reached camp. I then set up camp---tent if I'm going that route, or on my ground sheet in a shelter if I'm lucky enough to end up at one and it's decent. By then I'm starting to chill so I jump into my sleeping bag and cook dinner leaning out from the tent. Since I prefer an alcohol stove, I usually have time to eat my dessert, a super size Hershey's Special Dark or preferably a Cadbury's Royal Dark Chocolate, while the water comes to a boil and whatever I'm having for dinner cooks. The pot goes into a homemade cozy and I eat the main course, then rinse out the bits left in the pot with cold water. I put water for tea on to boil (and simultaneously sterilize the pot) while I floss and brush teeth, then make what I hope, but rarely is, the last trip out of the sleeping bag to pee. Returning, I send a SPOT message to allay my wife's worries, drink the tea and compose the day's journal using the smartphone notepad app. By then a couple of hours have passed and I'm usually ready to sleep. If not, I'll listen to the radio or an album or two on the MP3 player.

FWIW, I didn't have any trouble hitching into Front Royal even though I sport a long grey beard and hike in a kilt.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    First, you are NOT too old----and you definitely should do that since it will improve your health both physical and mental.

Second, March 20 is the vernal (spring) equinox when the sun starts shining 12 hours and longer each day. However, just because it's spring doesn't mean than old man winter has given up. You should expect some snow and perhaps carry an emergency meal of a pack of Idahoans (instant mashed potatoes) in case you have to or want to take an unplanned zero in the woods while a spring snow storm melts. I hiked the Allegheny Trail starting in mid-March and realized what I thought would be an early spring hike starting on March 15 was actually a late winter hike when I wound up hiking in snow as well as cold, all-day rain. I experienced 18" of wet snow on April 22 in central PA on the Mid-State Trail and decided to take a zero in my tent (an SMD Wild Oasis which held up amazingly well if I slapped the snow off the sides periodically) to wait for most of the snow to melt.

That brings me around to answering the OP's question: I mostly slept, or listened to my MP3 player or radio to pass the time. If I had a book on the MP3 player I would have read that. When the days are really short (Nov thru mid-Feb), I carry extra headlamp batteries and try to be on the trail as soon as it's light enough to see the trail and to hike until dusk or even a bit after dark, although I prefer to find a camp spot (or shelter) and to fetch water for dinner, breakfast, and tomorrow as soon as I've reached camp. I then set up camp---tent if I'm going that route, or on my ground sheet in a shelter if I'm lucky enough to end up at one and it's decent. By then I'm starting to chill so I jump into my sleeping bag and cook dinner leaning out from the tent. Since I prefer an alcohol stove, I usually have time to eat my dessert, a super size Hershey's Special Dark or preferably a Cadbury's Royal Dark Chocolate, while the water comes to a boil and whatever I'm having for dinner cooks. The pot goes into a homemade cozy and I eat the main course, then rinse out the bits left in the pot with cold water. I put water for tea on to boil (and simultaneously sterilize the pot) while I floss and brush teeth, then make what I hope, but rarely is, the last trip out of the sleeping bag to pee. Returning, I send a SPOT message to allay my wife's worries, drink the tea and compose the day's journal using the smartphone notepad app. By then a couple of hours have passed and I'm usually ready to sleep. If not, I'll listen to the radio or an album or two on the MP3 player.

FWIW, I didn't have any trouble hitching into Front Royal even though I sport a long grey beard and hike in a kilt.
    i would just add that i am proud of you for your planning -- a tad under 2 pounds a day is a perfectly reasonable amount of food to take. the good news is your pack will get lighter every day. it is a great adventure either way -- hitching to break your hike into two parts with the possibility of an overnight stay with shower, or going for the whole five days out. Both ways are perfectly wonderful. You might do some research on water sources... it may be reasonable to camel up in the morning and at water sources, and just carry 2 or so pounds of water, but that is a judgement call and is a personal decision.
    Lazarus

During the winter, I do the same things that I do in the warmer months. I just have more layers on when I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    During the winter, I do the same things that I do in the warmer months. I just have more layers on when I do it.
    Same thing heard from people in Canada, Montana, Minnesota, and Colorado. Aww no prahbleem, we jut boodle up in layers.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Hike for an hour in the dark usually. Then by the time I set camp, fix supper, fetch water for morning, and read it's then 9 or so. Hit the sack, and am usually up early enough that I'm hiking in the dark again before light.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++