WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I don't carry on the trail, for many of the same reasons already mentioned. On the street, my wife and I both carry a Sig P938 when out and about. There is a Glock 22 and a Sig P226 Combat in the nightstands for visitors without a reservation. I love my Glock, but Sig makes the Cadillac of handguns...they shoot bullseyes almost without trying.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

For general use, I prefer revolvers. You can feed any load you like, from snake shot to low power rounds that will barely cut paper to something that would crack an engine block (if you have the right caliber.) Autos are amazing things, and I like them a lot, but they tend to function best with a much narrower range of ammo than revolver; they're a more specialized tool. All depends on what you're using it for.

If one were to carry, I'd say carry what one is proficient and comfortable with.
    I've seen several hikers become uncomfortable around people who were open carrying. I don't want to judge those people or the ones who carry, so concealed is always the best bet - no need to advertise, just like in the real world.

A good friend of mine had a black bear problem with his trash cans. He caught it once, in the act, and threw a pack of firecrackers out the door. He didn't see that bear for months afterwards, so it is my opinion that the pop pop pop sound of a lighter round that wouldn't drop a bear may do wonders in running one off that was being a danger or a nuisance around a campsite.

An outdoorsy group of people on a gun forum I visit have had the discussion of which is more reliable. While revolvers are less selective about what kind of ammo is used, good quality modern semi automatic pistols can be far more reliable when dirty or gritty; a real possibility when out in the woods for days at a time.

For a Thru-hike: I believe there are some states the Trail passes through where carrying isn't legal unless one is a Law Enforcement Officer with the certifications and licenses that go with it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    As someone who makes their living in the firearms industry, I am a firearms enthusiast. I however, do not carry while hiking. I'm one of those people that do carry concealed everday in what I consider the "real world". When I hit the trail, I feel like I'm leaving that world and have never felt I'd feel safer or more prepared with a firearm. This is of course where I mainly hike. I don't feel the need for a firearm for animals where I hike, and honestly, I've never met or experienced anything near a threatening person on the trail where I hike.

I guess Im playing my chances. But being vigilant and keeping a good head on your shoulders on the trail goes a long way in keeping oneself safe. In civilization, you can't predict when someone's going to hold up the convenience store you get your coffee at every morning.

I'll change my tune when someone tries to mug me at a shelter.

If only my M1 Garand didn't weigh more than my baseweight.... I prefer 9mm or .38spcl for two legged city varmint. In the woods while hunting I prefer my .44mag redhawk and .243win rifle. I'm working with a 10mm right now as well.

In conclusion, and it saddens me to say this, I enjoy hiking because it's one activity that gets me in a mindset where I still feel prepared without my sidearm. In the rest of my ordinary life, I carry to be prepared.

The discussion of firearms on this AT Forum is typically a topic that turns into a bad mess, so it's kind of unwelcome. Like talking politics at the bar. No worries, but if it turns into a nasty debate, this thread will be closed very soon.

Now to answer your question, If I were to carry while hiking and my main concern was threatening people. I would probably pack a revolver in a lighter caliber. 38special, 9mm, or even 22 magnum. My preference would be a stainless air weight revolver for dependability, ruggedness, and weather/dirt/grime resistance. Night sights would be a must due to low light environment. I may or may not carrying a speed strip for a spare reload.
    A well thought out answer. I too carry all the time.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

"Never run a bluff with a six-gun" Bat Masterson, gun fighter, gambler, and old tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    I don't carry a gun. Too heavy. If I did I'd carry something that had a mag with a lot of rounds in it. I'm nearsighted.
    This, but I wear glasses.

Journal Entries

I don't carry on the AT because it's like walking in a shopping mall compared to hiking trails in Alabama. In Alabama you are mostly alone and I carry a small 22 revolver thats about the size of your palm. It's mainly for any critters that mess with me. I dont' know how good it would be against a human assailant but the chances of having an issue like that seem to remote to justify bringing a heavier weapon.

Leonidas

I don't carry on trail myself but I did think about the option for those who are inclined to carry something as a black bear deterrent. As mentioned with the fire cracker scenario, what about carrying a starting pistol? Makes the noise you want and no projectile to worry about. I don't recall them being very heavy either.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Standard carry gun, Springfield armory XDS 3.3 loaded with 230 grain JHP in 45acp, goes everywhere I go, within the confines of the law. This would be my current choice if I chose to carry while hiking.

RUNT ''13''

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool None

I don't carry a gun when I walk in downtown Philadelphia after midnight, so why should I carry one while I'm on The Trail and worried about every pound of weight?

And it would silly for me to own a gun to protect my property -- if I had one in my house, it would be BY FAR the most valuable thing a crook would want to steal from my house. Any burglar using a crowbar to get into my home would barely steal enough to pay for the crowbar.
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 12-01-2016 at 13:23.

As someone who makes their living in the firearms industry, I am a firearms enthusiast. I however, do not carry while hiking. I'm one of those people that do carry concealed everday in what I consider the "real world". When I hit the trail, I feel like I'm leaving that world and have never felt I'd feel safer or more prepared with a firearm. This is of course where I mainly hike. I don't feel the need for a firearm for animals where I hike, and honestly, I've never met or experienced anything near a threatening person on the trail where I hike.

I guess Im playing my chances. But being vigilant and keeping a good head on your shoulders on the trail goes a long way in keeping oneself safe. In civilization, you can't predict when someone's going to hold up the convenience store you get your coffee at every morning.

If only my M1 Garand didn't weigh more than my baseweight.... I prefer 9mm or .38spcl for two legged city varmint. In the woods while hunting I prefer my .44mag redhawk and .243win rifle. I'm working with a 10mm right now as well.

In conclusion, and it saddens me to say this, I enjoy hiking because it's one activity that gets me in a mindset where I still feel prepared without my sidearm. In the rest of my ordinary life, I carry to be prepared.

The discussion of firearms on this AT Forum is typically a topic that turns into a bad mess, so it's kind of unwelcome. Like talking politics at the bar. No worries, but if it turns into a nasty debate, this thread will be closed very soon.

Now to answer your question, If I were to carry while hiking and my main concern was threatening people. I would probably pack a revolver in a lighter caliber. 38special, 9mm, or even 22 magnum. My preference would be a stainless air weight revolver for dependability, ruggedness, and weather/dirt/grime resistance. Night sights would be a must due to low light environment. I may or may not carrying a speed strip for a spare reload.
    +1.....in grizzly country....all you need is a hiking partner slower than you.....

I ran into a day hiker in Co open carrying...made me feel uncomfortable and I'm a gun owner...no need on the trail....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one here who carries every day (either in vehicle or on/near my person) but I don't bother when I'm backpacking. For short hikes in cat country where activity is high I will occasionally carry my .40 but generally dogs are considered a pretty good deterrent since they are hunted with dogs around here. When I base camped and took horses, and had rode in the wilderness and back country I would carry a sidearm always...partly because I wasn't the one hauling the weight, and partly because if something happens to a horse in the middle of nowhere I needed an appropriate way to humanely deal with a serious equine injury.

I do carry bear spray in some areas and figure that if it's good enough to work on a bear it would be just as effective on any human that wants to cause trouble.

Now please don't take this the wrong way...but you're a lousy salesman.

Images

I conceal carry on a daily basis but do not on the trail. This confounds those that know me. They don't backpack though and have no idea how safe it really is and how much I really don't want to carry that extra 14 oz my Sig P238 weighs.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Journal Entries

22 mag dont even knock down a rabbit
    It shoots thru them and they run off

17 hmr flips them into air

The fragmenting bullets might work better though in 22 now

I carry a 25 cal sat night special with 9 shot clip bowhunting. Dont carry on trail

Dont think youll get even close to muzzle energy and velocity of a rifle round based on 20" barrel, in a handgun. It will be much much less.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-01-2016 at 20:32.

I don't carry on the AT, too much trouble with air travel etc; but wilderness areas out West are entirely a different thing (worthy of a .357 revolver, S&W 686).

I carried a gun with me the first time I went hiking for a week on the AT.

Couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be scared of so I have never brought it again.

Carl

Too many off topic posts. Thread closed.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++