Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default thru hiker protection ?

Being we females and can be seen as vulnerable do any of you bring anything for protection against possible bad people or animals that are predators ? Ex: sticks , knifes , big flash lights etc ... ??

Images

My bad ass attitude. I am no more desirable as a meal to a mountain lion than a man. The cat isn't concerned about the presence or lack of a penis, specifically. Only learned helplessness, which translates to submissive body language, identifies me as the preferable victim to wildlife. So I don't bother with such body language.

Now to those who pink blaze... Confidence, assertiveness, and knowledge of a few basic self defense moves such as using trekking pole tips or safety pins to put out eyes will handle the homo sapien predators quite nicely.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I bring my husband.

No. I never brought anything for protection and never needed it. I did leave a shelter once or twice when I didn't feel comfortable with someone who was there. Maybe imagination, but I prefer to listen to my instincts. Generally, there are so many other hikers around when you are thruhiking, I felt completely safe, even though I was hiking solo.

No, although I do carry bear spray on some trails with thick underbrush where it is more likely I'll spook a bear. Generally, no though

Images

No, safer in the woods than at the mall.

thank you everyone ... I always happy to hear what others do or do not do ....

I carry a gun in everyday life. Not while hiking though. I do use hiking poles and have in the past carried pepper spray. Pepper spray stays in my front pocket or my packbelt pocket. Hiking sticks, now that I use them, are in my hands. And yes, I would use my sticks as weapons if needed. Brutally!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I carry a gun in everyday life. Not while hiking though. I do use hiking poles and have in the past carried pepper spray. Pepper spray stays in my front pocket or my packbelt pocket. Hiking sticks, now that I use them, are in my hands. And yes, I would use my sticks as weapons if needed. Brutally!
    of course all that being said, I generally feel very safe on the trail. But listen to your gut, or the hairs standing up, or the little voice in your head.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Your fellow hikers will protect you, if anything. Don't worry so much about them.
    It's the townies that cause trouble.
    Problems from animals are extremely rare.

Your biggest dangers on the trail are falling, falling, and falling... as they say in the real estate business.

I bring along The Infamous J as my secret weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I bring along The Infamous J as my secret weapon.
    She's a badass!

She's also correct about attitude and helplessness. Predators sense it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    She's a badass!

She's also correct about attitude and helplessness. Predators sense it.
    Awwww, thanks guys. You might not want to being me along though, I hike at a speed only barely faster than your can of bear spray would should you place it on the trail. (glacial)

My limitations on your daily mileage may not make my presence worth it. You may prefer simply to carry your own bad ass attitude, instead.

Images

I asked my daughter to read this when she moved out to LA, it's a very good look at how accurate your gut instinct usually is and why you should trust it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/gift-of-fear-gavin-de-becker/1100820299/2698309195138?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopp ing+Media_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP6794 5
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by penny b View Post
    Being we females and can be seen as vulnerable do any of you bring anything for protection against possible bad people or animals that are predators ? Ex: sticks , knifes , big flash lights etc ... ??
    Bring your common sense. NEVER travel alone and stay/get away from weirdos ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bgillomega View Post
    Bring your common sense. NEVER travel alone and stay/get away from weirdos ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    While I absolutely agree with your comment to bring common sense along, I disagree that women should “NEVER” travel alone. I also think that encouraging women to feel like they have to be protected by others helps to perpetuate the myths that women are helpless and need a big, strong man to protect them.

As a woman who often backpacks by herself, travels to other countries by herself, and prefers solo treks…I find it discouraging when others make the blanket statement that women should NEVER travel alone. These aren’t the 1950’s – Isn’t it about time we start encouraging women to have the self-confidence to believe in themselves? Wouldn’t it be more productive to educate women as to how to protect themselves, so that they don’t have to miss out on life? LIFE can be dangerous for anyone - regardless of gender. Common sense and listening to your gut go a long way. Taking a class on self-defense is never a bad idea for women AND men. However, danger does not lurk around every corner simply because one is a woman.

Sadly, the advice to never travel alone is still a big reason why many women don’t feel like they can go backpacking, traveling, and otherwise see this wonderful world on their own. Life is way too short to spend it waiting for someone to come along, so that women can also go out and explore.

Encouraging women to believe in themselves encourages self-confidence. Self-confidence goes a long way toward keeping women out of danger, as well as keeping them safe if they find themselves in the position of being in an unsafe situation. Knowledge is power. Learn how to avoid certain situations. Learn tools for dealing with situations if you happen to find yourself in trouble. It sounds like the OP is on the right path toward educating herself as to what other women have done.

^^^^^ YES!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

If I never traveled alone, I would never travel at all. I love to travel, I use brains not brawn to stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    While I absolutely agree with your comment to bring common sense along, I disagree that women should “NEVER” travel alone. I also think that encouraging women to feel like they have to be protected by others helps to perpetuate the myths that women are helpless and need a big, strong man to protect them.

As a woman who often backpacks by herself, travels to other countries by herself, and prefers solo treks…I find it discouraging when others make the blanket statement that women should NEVER travel alone. These aren’t the 1950’s – Isn’t it about time we start encouraging women to have the self-confidence to believe in themselves? Wouldn’t it be more productive to educate women as to how to protect themselves, so that they don’t have to miss out on life? LIFE can be dangerous for anyone - regardless of gender. Common sense and listening to your gut go a long way. Taking a class on self-defense is never a bad idea for women AND men. However, danger does not lurk around every corner simply because one is a woman.

Sadly, the advice to never travel alone is still a big reason why many women don’t feel like they can go backpacking, traveling, and otherwise see this wonderful world on their own. Life is way too short to spend it waiting for someone to come along, so that women can also go out and explore.

Encouraging women to believe in themselves encourages self-confidence. Self-confidence goes a long way toward keeping women out of danger, as well as keeping them safe if they find themselves in the position of being in an unsafe situation. Knowledge is power. Learn how to avoid certain situations. Learn tools for dealing with situations if you happen to find yourself in trouble. It sounds like the OP is on the right path toward educating herself as to what other women have done.
    You go girl. I am exactly the same...if I waited on someone else I'd never leave the house.

Images

There is a fine line when it comes to Internet advice as you have no control over who reads it and interprets it.

Fear is so many different things to so many different people. Most people mislabel anxiety as fear.

Anxiety is defined as fear without actual danger. It is NOT a gift.

While the previously linked book, "The Gift of Fear" (which I have read) is written for (intended audience) those in the part of the venn diagram where it is danger-but-no-fear or danger-but-ignored-fear and is encouraging them to realize the diagnostic value of their fear feelings, its message is DANGEROUS to someone who is unaware that they are in the throes of anxiety and are living in the fear-but-no-danger part of the venn diagram.

So how is a person to know where they sit? This is where a few sessions with a professional therapist can help. They can properly diagnose a person's relationship to their own fear and make a treatment plan to bring that relationship back to health, if necessary.

A healthy relationship with fear is a healthy ability to evaluate risk. I know what risks I can take so when confronted with a feeling of fear in my gut, I can then decide if I have the energy and skill to handle the situation going badly, and if so I take the risk. If I lack the skills or just don't feel like expending the energy even with the skills, I choose differently.

Fear alerts you to a situation where you need to make an active choice. It, however, is not the decider. You are!

That said, sharp tent stakes also are extremely effective on the soft, squishy parts of a predator such as eyes, ear canals, necks/throats, and so on. This is something we *all* carry. Just stab that right on in like a knife.

Last edited by Alligator; 12-06-2016 at 23:45. Reason: Politics removed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++